GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight height adjustment - no wheel/switch

bertj

Ready to race!
I realised last night that my 1 year old 7.5 doesn't have a headlight height adjuster wheel/switch. The headlight heights can only be adjusted in the infotainment menu. Before anyone mentions it the car does not have xenon or led headlights. The other 1 year old 7.5 (estate) that we also have does have an adjuster wheel/switch.
The odd thing is that the car with the wheel/switch was built after the one without; so the usual VW money saving theory doesn't seem to apply - all very curious.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I realised last night that my 1 year old 7.5 doesn't have a headlight height adjuster wheel/switch. The headlight heights can only be adjusted in the infotainment menu. Before anyone mentions it the car does not have xenon or led headlights. The other 1 year old 7.5 (estate) that we also have does have an adjuster wheel/switch.
The odd thing is that the car with the wheel/switch was built after the one without; so the usual VW money saving theory doesn't seem to apply - all very curious.

Very interesting - I'm surprised they've removed it.

Then again, most controls are going to the touch screen these days - look at the Mk8; all the heating controls are going to it like the Touareg!

In fairness to VW, though, how often do you change your headlight height?

bertj

Ready to race!
Very interesting - I'm surprised they've removed it.

In fairness to VW, though, how often do you change your headlight height?

Before the other night I could't remember when I had to lower the headlights on a succession of Golfs and Passats. The only time I touched the switch was to occasionally check if the system was working.
However, I understand that a check on the system is now required for the MOT.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Before the other night I could't remember when I had to lower the headlights on a succession of Golfs and Passats. The only time I touched the switch was to occasionally check if the system was working.
However, I understand that a check on the system is now required for the MOT.

As far as I know the MOT always required putting the headlights to their highest setting to check beam alignment.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
When driving abroad, I used the wheel to lower the beams on the old MkIV. Bought Xenon with this car as the blurb specifically mentioned altering the beams for continental driving. I assumed that meant turning the bulb/reflector to move the beam kick up to the correct side.
On using the touchscreen control, it did nothing of the sort - just lowered the beams just like the old wheel switch. So much for technology!!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
When driving abroad, I used the wheel to lower the beams on the old MkIV. Bought Xenon with this car as the blurb specifically mentioned altering the beams for continental driving. I assumed that meant turning the bulb/reflector to move the beam kick up to the correct side.
On using the touchscreen control, it did nothing of the sort - just lowered the beams just like the old wheel switch. So much for technology!!

If the xenons are factory fit there WILL be a setting to adjust for continental use, the adjustment you refer to is raise and lower the beam to adjust for extra weight such as full luggage, however if they are factory fit xenons then they (by law) are self levelling (dynamic headlight control), with the continental adjustment (travel mode) it doesn’t actually ‘alter’ the beam, what it does is lower both beams (to stop glare) and move the right side further to the right (in order to illuminate that side better), the owners manual has all the adjustment info shown,