GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattling rear suspension....again!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I am just starting to get the hollow log rolling sound...18,000 miles on the clock...its ok not too bothered by it but will rip the rear dampers off at some point...

"fuelboss"..I have a UK mk7.5 GTI owner who hates the noise in his car & his wife's Bluemotion is way quieter..so he is retro-fitting all the undertrays to quieten the aero...& he has swapped the tyres out..

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
The cabin noise is appalling over some surfaces

I am just starting to get the hollow log rolling sound...18,000 miles on the clock...its ok not too bothered by it but will rip the rear dampers off at some point...

"fuelboss"..I have a UK mk7.5 GTI owner who hates the noise in his car & his wife's Bluemotion is way quieter..so he is retro-fitting all the undertrays to quieten the aero...& he has swapped the tyres out..

I am using Koni Actives on the rear. Very comfortable and no noise, well at least from the shock absorbers. Despite insulating many areas of the car the cabin noise is tiresome. Fitting new undertrays - for me I cant see that helping very much as the majority of the cabin noise originates from wheels and exhaust. Drive from London to southwest approx 100 miles yesterday and I was happy to be out of the car. MK7.5 no, much preferred my old MK7GTI that was much quieter plus DSG shift points were far better on a 6-speed DSG.

bertj

Ready to race!
Just had a pair of rear Bilstein B4's fitted to my 7.5 tsi SE 125bhp. 'Rolling Log' sound has now gone! I got fed up arguing with VW especially when I got replies like ' They all do it', 'It's normal for this car', 'We can't hear anything untoward'.
I decided that life is too short so I paid £181.51 to have them supplied/fitted by a well known tuning supplier. Took about 1 hour.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
That's good to read

I am pleased the Bilsteins worked for you. I had them on my old MK7 GTI and they transformed the car. On my 7.5GTI I have the Koni Actives as you can see from an earlier post and they are very good.

No rattles at all but just a much noisier cabin on the 7.5 when compared to the original Mk7

bertj

Ready to race!
Just had a pair of rear Bilstein B4's fitted to my 7.5 tsi SE 125bhp. 'Rolling Log' sound has now gone! I got fed up arguing with VW especially when I got replies like ' They all do it', 'It's normal for this car', 'We can't hear anything untoward'.
I decided that life is too short so I paid £181.51 to have them supplied/fitted by a well known tuning supplier. Took about 1 hour.

I spoke too soon!
2k miles since fitting the Bilsteins and the rumbling sound has gradually returned. I can only assume that gradual slight wear must take place in the seals etc.
Comments welcome!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I spoke too soon!
2k miles since fitting the Bilsteins and the rumbling sound has gradually returned. I can only assume that gradual slight wear must take place in the seals etc.
Comments welcome!

I don't think it is the dampers as mine appear to be ok...but I still get the occasional log rolling sound.... What I think it is …:_ VAG use the rear frame from the old MK5 Golf but slightly modified.....there was a "harmonic damper" made for this & given a "1K0" part number which is for MK5 Golf. All the rear subframes since then have the two holes in the centre of the rear subframe for it..

This weight bolts to the rear subframe to cancel out vibrations caused by the rear subframe...but is was never fitted to MK5 Golf or MK6 etc...it was first fitted to the current Audi A3 saloon...

here:- item no 6

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2016-745/5/505-505002/

I had one & tried to fit it but the pin/bolt snapped at 18nm on me as the item was badly made, so I went back to the dealer parts bloke & still waiting for a replacement from Germany..

I think the rear subframe has this flaw in in, but cost cutting says don't fit it the car is quiet enough....except when its on an Audi & the bodyshell type amplifies the sound..

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I had the log rolling sound since I bought my car and have always assumed it was the rear dampers, but a week or so ago I was tracking down a squeak around the left side C pillar interior and discovered by accident that the ‘log rolling’ sound (in my case at least) was in fact, and I kid you not! the rear seat belt reel!

bertj

Ready to race!
Thanks for comments. The plot thickens! Very interesting about the rear sub frame weight/damper. I doubt if the noise is from the rear seat belt reel but I'll investigate.
Two puzzling things though - the noise was definitely not there immediately after fitting the new dampers and my wife's 7.5 Golf estate (same age) hasn't got the noise.
I'm very reluctant to spend any more time/money on this.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for comments. The plot thickens! Very interesting about the rear sub frame weight/damper. I doubt if the noise is from the rear seat belt reel but I'll investigate.
Two puzzling things though - the noise was definitely not there immediately after fitting the new dampers and my wife's 7.5 Golf estate (same age) hasn't got the noise.
I'm very reluctant to spend any more time/money on this.

Fit the rear damper.....

My cars rear noise has dropped by at least 2/3rds.....

no more after rattles ..just the first bump noise...no rolling log..no clunking etc.....& I have just had a through MOT..& I have checked my car dampers etc and all ok....

Like I said its a natural harmonic that that design of subframe has since it was first designed for MK5 Golf..thats why MK5 Golf part number of the weight even though the first car it has been fitted to is the MQB Audi A3 saloon!....

I will be doing a how to guide....:cool:

My Mk7 R had this problem for 3 months now around 17000k. Dealer refuses to warranty said I have rear sway bar and endlink and that is most likely cause the shock to be bad. What a load of shit. Just bought the Bilstein B6 Performance DampTronic Package. Hopefully that fixes it.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
My Mk7 R had this problem for 3 months now around 17000k. Dealer refuses to warranty said I have rear sway bar and endlink and that is most likely cause the shock to be bad. What a load of shit. Just bought the Bilstein B6 Performance DampTronic Package. Hopefully that fixes it.

The issue with the rear shock absorbers did not apply to the R model. If you had the so-called "rolling log" issue caused by the VW Sachs shock absorbers, it would have been present virtually from new - but not on an R model as far I know.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Harmonic damper won't fit either as its only for the 2WD multilink....

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
i also have a similar squeak on the offside rear, i was assuming it was a shock as i only seem to hear it on the roads speed reducing ramps. I havent taken it in anywhere yet though