GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error Start-Stop System, Auto Hold, Electric Brake & ACC

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Its the battery. This happens in all cars with todays electronics. The battery may be enough to start it so people think that's ok. Not so. When multiple systems all go off with errors like that all of a sudden, #1 cause is the battery. Many systems need a min voltage all the time, which is more than the starter needs.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Triple post alert.

@golfdave, @IWMTom & @DV52, hopefully I can pick your brains.

The Golf went into my local VW dealership yesterday and had the original battery replaced with an OEM/Varta AGM unit.
When I returned home, I grabbed the VCDS cable and checked that the BEM adaptation had been done and it had. (Serial/Manufacturer/Capacity all matched what was written on the new battery).

I’m getting readings of 14.9v when running and 12.7v when not. (Isn’t 14.9v quite high?).

On my commute this morning, much to my disappointment, I still had the intermittent issues with ACC, SS, Park Assist and other modules.

Can I private message you a copy of the scan report I ran last night before go back to VW and cough up £60 for them just to diagnose it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nope, 14.9v isn't quite high - that's well within range, as is 12.7v.

Feel free to shoot it over, I'll have a gander.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Nope, 14.9v isn't quite high - that's well within range, as is 12.7v.

Feel free to shoot it over, I'll have a gander.

Cheers mate, PM sent.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
For reference to the thread:

OP sent over a scan with 32 faults across various control modules - most were missing messages and no communication faults.

I've asked the OP to clear all the codes and drive for a few minutes then to rescan so we can identify any faults that aren't related to the oddity going on.

I've then advised that they drive for a couple of hundred miles to allow the battery monitoring module to recalibrate itself.

Should it not be related to the battery (i.e. the faults return), I'm pondering on the prospect of a faulty ground somewhere.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
For reference to the thread:

OP sent over a scan with 32 faults across various control modules - most were missing messages and no communication faults.

I've asked the OP to clear all the codes and drive for a few minutes then to rescan so we can identify any faults that aren't related to the oddity going on.

I've then advised that they drive for a couple of hundred miles to allow the battery monitoring module to recalibrate itself.

Should it not be related to the battery (i.e. the faults return), I'm pondering on the prospect of a faulty ground somewhere.

Sounds like the dealership unplugged the battery & did not use a device to power the ECU to retain the memory & settings etc...idiots....I used a 12V power supply....& yes 14.9V is fine with the engine running...

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Sounds like the dealership unplugged the battery & did not use a device to power the ECU to retain the memory & settings etc...idiots....I used a 12V power supply....& yes 14.9V is fine with the engine running...

Thanks Dave.

If this was the case, would I lose the Bluetooth memory for example? I didn't have to re-pair my phone.
Trip count was reset...

Tom is being really helpful and we are swapping PM's and VCDS logs...
I'm praying that Tom's comments about the battery monitoring module recalibrating within several hundred miles ring true.

We will get to the bottom of this!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

Unfortunately after clearing the codes, OP drove for around 50 miles and they resurfaced. I then had the OP clear the codes and take it for a short 5 minute drive and rescan - no codes were logged.

I suspect either a faulty ground or a bad gateway.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks Dave.

If this was the case, would I lose the Bluetooth memory for example? I didn't have to re-pair my phone.
Trip count was reset...

Tom is being really helpful and we are swapping PM's and VCDS logs...
I'm praying that Tom's comments about the battery monitoring module recalibrating within several hundred miles ring true.

We will get to the bottom of this!

Radio station presets would be reset, that's the obvious one. Bluetooth wouldn't. Not sure about the trip computer.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Unfortunately after clearing the codes, OP drove for around 50 miles and they resurfaced. I then had the OP clear the codes and take it for a short 5 minute drive and rescan - no codes were logged.

I suspect either a faulty ground or a bad gateway.

faulty ground should show in VCDS....

However it has been known for fault codes to take several goes to eliminate...:cool:

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Radio station presets would be reset, that's the obvious one. Bluetooth wouldn't. Not sure about the trip computer.

DAB presets haven't been lost so it appears that they may have kept power to the ECU.

faulty ground should show in VCDS....

However it has been known for fault codes to take several goes to eliminate...:cool:

How many goes are we talking? :(

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC

Brooksy1973

I'm getting very similar but it's intermittent.
Basically upon starting the car I get auto hold fail error, acc error message, tyre pressure error, I think I get about 8 in total. But then the auto hold / handbrake won't hold. But I'll drive to the shops or work and it will be OK. And I won't get the errors again for a day. I have had a new battery fitted to see if it was that but nothing changed. Can anyone help

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm getting very similar but it's intermittent.
Basically upon starting the car I get auto hold fail error, acc error message, tyre pressure error, I think I get about 8 in total. But then the auto hold / handbrake won't hold. But I'll drive to the shops or work and it will be OK. And I won't get the errors again for a day. I have had a new battery fitted to see if it was that but nothing changed. Can anyone help

Did you get the battery adaptation after the new battery?