GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Valentine 1 V1 Radar Detector with Savvy and Tune

Downshift1

Hey all - first thread here - not because it's my first question but because it's the first topic I haven't been able to find loads of information about on this forum. What a great community.

I have a V1 radar detector and am looking at purchasing the SAVVY controller that plugs into the vehicle's OBD port. It serves as a power supply (freeing up one of the 9V plugs and eliminating the need to hardwire to a wire somewhere) and offers muting of the detectors alerts based on speed. Pretty cool...

My question is - is anyone out there using the SAVVY module with an APR or Unitronic tune? On V1's site, they say SAVVY isn't compatible with aftermarket performance tunes, however it specifically calls out piggyback modules.
http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/savvy_problem_cars.asp

I'm wondering if this is because both the piggyback module and the SAVVY module need to be plugged into the OBD port, thus making the issue purely a physical one, or if the SAVVY module somehow interferes with the programming of the tune, vice versa, or some other black magic...???

Does anyone have a concrete answer to this? I certainly don't want to mess with the aftermarket tune so I'm looking for a few folks that have Stage 1 or 2 APR or Unitronic AND are running the SAAVY module for their V1 with absolutely no issues.

Thanks!

phobos512

Ready to race!
Well with the JB4 nothing else can be plugged into the CANBUS - not with extenders, splitters - nothing else, period. Don't think APR or Unitronic would have any issue though since those are ECU software tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Hey all - first thread here - not because it's my first question but because it's the first topic I haven't been able to find loads of information about on this forum. What a great community.

I have a V1 radar detector and am looking at purchasing the SAVVY controller that plugs into the vehicle's OBD port. It serves as a power supply (freeing up one of the 9V plugs and eliminating the need to hardwire to a wire somewhere) and offers muting of the detectors alerts based on speed. Pretty cool...

My question is - is anyone out there using the SAVVY module with an APR or Unitronic tune? On V1's site, they say SAVVY isn't compatible with aftermarket performance tunes, however it specifically calls out piggyback modules.

I'm wondering if this is because both the piggyback module and the SAVVY module need to be plugged into the OBD port, thus making the issue purely a physical one, or if the SAVVY module somehow interferes with the programming of the tune, vice versa, or some other black magic...???

Does anyone have a concrete answer to this? I certainly don't want to mess with the aftermarket tune so I'm looking for a few folks that have Stage 1 or 2 APR or Unitronic AND are running the SAAVY module for their V1 with absolutely no issues.

Thanks!
Have you looked into the V1Driver app? It's for iOS if you have Andriod then look at YaV1. Both have a savvy simulation using your GPS and much more options like GPS lockouts making the V1 that much better.

Lots of info here: https://www.rdforum.org/showthread.php?t=34133

Downshift1

Have you looked into the V1Driver app? It's for iOS if you have Andriod then look at YaV1. Both have a savvy simulation using your GPS and much more options like GPS lockouts making the V1 that much better.

Lots of info here: https://www.rdforum.org/showthread.php?t=34133

Holy cow! That looks awesome. I'm checking out a couple of the reivews on YouTube linked from your post. Do you use V1Driver? What's your take on it?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Holy cow! That looks awesome. I'm checking out a couple of the reivews on YouTube linked from your post. Do you use V1Driver? What's your take on it?

I use V1Driver and it's a pretty neat app. I'm still learning though. I've only had the Valentine One for a few weeks and it's my first radar detector.

MDLBC

Ready to race!

Thanks!

I hardwired my V1 through the map light housing and managed to fit the V1 bluetooth dongle in there as well. It actually isn't too hard to do and frees up the OBD port. Just search on vwvortex for "Valentine1 Hardwire Install w/ V1 Connection". Stealth Assist is a nice simple app for the V1 as well. It has the ability like savvy to mute at a speed limit you set and can black out the V1's display.

Last edited: