GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo upgrade for mk 7 1.8 tsi

Calum.

Passed Driver's Ed
I asked a little about this on vwvortex. I was told the high pressure fuel pump and injectors on the 1.8 are different than the 2.0. I'm not sure what the flow rate of either is though. But it's something to keep in mind.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-deal-yet!&p=93630777&viewfull=1#post93630777

I have a feeling there will be a lot of IS20's for sale, and I think that would be a great upgrade for this car. The IS38 would be more power, but I wonder if the lower displacement and LOOOONG gearing of the 5MT would lead that combination to feel worse than stock in traffic.

Slick99

Ready to race!
I asked a little about this on vwvortex. I was told the high pressure fuel pump and injectors on the 1.8 are different than the 2.0. I'm not sure what the flow rate of either is though. But it's something to keep in mind.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-deal-yet!&p=93630777&viewfull=1#post93630777

I have a feeling there will be a lot of IS20's for sale, and I think that would be a great upgrade for this car. The IS38 would be more power, but I wonder if the lower displacement and LOOOONG gearing of the 5MT would lead that combination to feel worse than stock in traffic.

I think the best answer can give by Arin@APR

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
yea its matter of tuning and best option is to get IS38 turbo if u want 100whp more than stock turbo

http://www.etuners.gr/seat-leon-1-8-tsi-gen3-mqb-golf-7r-turbo-kit-upgrade-98ron/

Yeah but just because you can fit something, doesn't mean you should. My concern is that the 1.8 won't move enough air to make the IS38 spin without too much lag. I have a Miata and I'm getting ready to turbo mine. I have driven a bunch of Turbo 1.6L and Turbo 1.8L cars and let me tell you .2L makes a TON of difference in terms of moving air to reduce lag. With supporting mods and 93 fueling, I think an IS20 could get you guys to high 290's maybe low 300 wheel HP without having too much lag. The lag on the IS38 might be a little too much for the 1.8L. But just my $0.02

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Yeah but just because you can fit something, doesn't mean you should. My concern is that the 1.8 won't move enough air to make the IS38 spin without too much lag. I have a Miata and I'm getting ready to turbo mine. I have driven a bunch of Turbo 1.6L and Turbo 1.8L cars and let me tell you .2L makes a TON of difference in terms of moving air to reduce lag. With supporting mods and 93 fueling, I think an IS20 could get you guys to high 290's maybe low 300 wheel HP without having too much lag. The lag on the IS38 might be a little too much for the 1.8L. But just my $0.02

Comparing a miata to the Golf/GTI is like apples and oranges . From my understanding the head (cams included[US only]) block and crank are all the same. The rods/pistons are what make the .2L, 0.05L a piston isn't a huge change. You can help make up for this by making sure the air has an easy hi-flow from start to finish. Sure it may lag a little, but 4th and 5th in the 1.8 are very long gears (4th tops out at 148mph) so on the flipside this might help.

Only true experience will tell. I think settling for a GTI turbo is silly when it's not much less than an IS38. I'm a realist a big turbo isn't needed for the 1.8 still. If/when/once my engine decides to give up on life I'll install 2.0 pistons/rods etc then run a 2.0 ecu/tune and a big turbo.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Thats awesome! Just wondering if the transmission will be able to handle anything above 300hp or 300 lb.ft torque. Maybe the manual transmission could get away, but being a 6 speed automatic might cause problems. Wonder if transmission upgrades are possible...

If I remember correctly, the tiptronic from the mk6 was rated for something like 400 lbft of torque. Back when I had my mk6 2.5L golf I was looking into turboing it, and I think I remember seeing people who had gotten 350+hp out of those engines with no transmission issues. Assuming they are using the same transmission, I would expect similar performance.