GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That is one component where I recommend staying oem. The tolerance on the diff end is extremely tight, and even a millimeter of play in any direction will mess with the functionality of your diff. For sensitive driveline components, my experience with aftermarket axles on several platforms has been horrible. I haven't been through it yet on my gti, but I have on my previous wrx, forester xt, accord, and other people's mustangs, camaro, corvettes, and an a4. In every situation the aftermarket part was pulled and replaced for oe (or just sold the car when the diff was badly damaged). Ymmv, but oe pricing is quite fair in these circumstances. Look at purchasing online through your local dealer's site, and it may save you a bit... At my local dealer the entire assembly is 570$ per side, or the inner joint is 480. They also sell a "remanufactured" inner joint for 255.

$570 is $120 cheaper than any of my local Dealers. Who is your local online dealer?

GKN makes our axles and CV-joints. They are one of the biggest OE axle supplier. I’ve seen aftermarket GKN axles for Mk 5 & 6’s. I would only go OE or GKN for axles.

Any breaker yards that specialize in VW’s?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Tried out some new tyres on the weekend. Zestino 07RS. 140tw with a Street tyre tread and dirt cheap. Was actually really impressed. Matched my time on Nankang AR1 semi slicks, I’m sure I can beat it though. Stiff sidewalls and fantastic grip. Had one of the instructors have a quick drive and he was equally impressed. I’m guessing these are as good or better than RE71R but a lot cheaper.

They have the same tread pattern as a RE71R. No supplier from what I can tell in the US.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
$570 is $120 cheaper than any of my local Dealers. Who is your local online dealer?

GKN makes our axles and CV-joints. They are one of the biggest OE axle supplier. I’ve seen aftermarket GKN axles for Mk 5 & 6’s. I would only go OE or GKN for axles.

Any breaker yards that specialize in VW’s?

Molle vw is local to me in kc area. I go to their parts search online and everything is discounted. I think I bought plugs recently for 30% cheaper than Amazon or any online retailer. I had to get the oil filter valve stick thing for the racingline cooler and it was 7$ after tax, vs 9+tax+shipping from anywhere online. Any time I need anything oe, I go through there because I can usually pick it up same day.

You could also try your hand at remanufactured oe stuff from Napa (I've heard a few people have had success this route), or maybe call up fcpeuro and see if they have anything decently priced/available?

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
To my knowledge, the DTC-60 aren't available for either factory option (pp or not).

The Pagid endurance compounds have always been on my radar, but i was happy with the performance and availability of the 60s (for the Mk6). With that option not forthcoming for the Mk7, i'm considering PP brakes for the fronts in part for the increase in compound choices. It would be very interesting to know if a retrofit to the Mk6 caliper & carrier is possible...

Anyway, WTF is up with Hawk not delivering the goods here? You'd think that with the platform being 5+ years old, they'd have gotten around to it by now. Feel like i'm being forced to cook with the wrong charcoal and i don't like the taste :p

Anyone watching IMSA at VIR? GTLM top qualifiers at 1:40.xxx.

Well it looks like Hawk was listening, since i wrote that post i see that Tire Rack has DTC-60 and HT-10 F/R for the PP brakes :rolleyes:

I'm on the fence as to going with PP fronts or BBK. Would like to keep the cost of friction consumables under control but have to do a little more cost analysis (and guesswork) before pulling the trigger. Being on 17s is really limiting me in the BBK category to pretty much nothing without spacers, i hate to make the switch to 18s but there's probably no way around it... CHA-CHING :mad:

Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Neuspeed 340mm 6-piston BBK will fit in Neuspeed RSe16 17” wheels without needing spacers. A lot of money for the BBK, but you can use large (Brembo “M”) pads. I don’t have any experience, but I’ll likely go to this setup next season.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

Well it looks like Hawk was listening, since i wrote that post i see that Tire Rack has DTC-60 and HT-10 F/R for the PP brakes :rolleyes:

I'm on the fence as to going with PP fronts or BBK. Would like to keep the cost of friction consumables under control but have to do a little more cost analysis (and guesswork) before pulling the trigger. Being on 17s is really limiting me in the BBK category to pretty much nothing without spacers, i hate to make the switch to 18s but there's probably no way around it... CHA-CHING :mad:

Most BBK that fit the 18s are 355 vs the stock 340 rotor. That's only 15mm, and the biggest gain there is from better rotors, not bigger rotors. You could just get girodisc or racingbrake rotors and save yourself some cash there, but that's a 600$ ring replacement every time you need new rotors.

If you care about the caliper for modulation reasons, the neuspeed 6pot should fit under 17s according to them. I wonder if the neuspeed caliper can fit under the austins though? That's what I run on the street...

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

Pads for the stoptech kits will be cheaper than the equivalent PP pads. Rotors are similar cost if you so two piece rotors.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Pads for the stoptech kits will be cheaper than the equivalent PP pads. Rotors are similar cost if you so two piece rotors.

Can you be more specific? There are a lot of things that go into a choice of braking systems besides an aversion to Ferodo pads. ;)

That said, i'm looking at Neuspeed and APR BBK in addition to PP. There's no way to adapt either BBK to my 17s without spacers, the APR basically require forged 18s at least, and though my favorite pad compound is available for either (DTC-60) there is a significant difference in price between pads vs BBKs. Now, who knows - i may find that a different compound works better with this car. Just needs time and patience. And money. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I wonder if the neuspeed caliper can fit under the austins though? That's what I run on the street...

I would doubt it. The Neuspeed barrel looks to be a larger diameter than stock, and the 6-piston caliper just barely fits the Neuspeeds.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
I would doubt it. The Neuspeed barrel looks to be a larger diameter than stock, and the 6-piston caliper just barely fits the Neuspeeds.
Neuspeeds need at least 10mm to work with Austins, in other words best to go with 15mm.

What i mean is, from other threads on here, Austins need a spacer to clear Neuspeed caliper, but clearance with 340 mm rotor is fine.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone have APR's template for their BBK? I scoured the website but didn't find one.

FYI, Neuspeed BBK template says i need at least a 15 mm spacer to work with my Sparco Assetto Gara 17"

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Can you be more specific? There are a lot of things that go into a choice of braking systems besides an aversion to Ferodo pads. ;)

That said, i'm looking at Neuspeed and APR BBK in addition to PP. There's no way to adapt either BBK to my 17s without spacers, the APR basically require forged 18s at least, and though my favorite pad compound is available for either (DTC-60) there is a significant difference in price between pads vs BBKs. Now, who knows - i may find that a different compound works better with this car. Just needs time and patience. And money. :rolleyes:
Both of those bbk are junk. Just stick to stoptech or AP. The dtc-60 are $100 cheaper on bbk vs OEM pp.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Both of those bbk are junk. Just stick to stoptech or AP. The dtc-60 are $100 cheaper on bbk vs OEM pp.

Why are they junk? Can you elaborate?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Why are they junk? Can you elaborate?
Neither are track proven systems and are more expensive than the stoptechs. Plus Apr uses "proprietary" piston sizing and has no quick change bridge.

It's your braking system. Don't cheap out & stick to the main name.brands.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
:)
Neither are track proven systems and are more expensive than the stoptechs. Plus Apr uses "proprietary" piston sizing and has no quick change bridge.

It's your braking system. Don't cheap out & stick to the main name.brands.

To my understanding, APR BBK are used on TCR cars. To my eye, their rotors are essentially identical to the top Australian brand.

If you have some inside track on why Stoptech are superior to APR, i'd like you to elaborate, and with data.

Or at the very least, part numbers. :)