GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Do a lot of people turn XDS off for track days? My rear pads are at ~1mm after 2 track weekends (14 total sessions) with only 15k total miles on the car. My friends, who are not familiar with VW, are saying the XDS is probably the main reason for the rear pads wearing so quickly.
Xds applys brakes to aid in faster turn it so yes it will wear brakes faster. Mine isn't off but it is set to low. You can definitely tell a difference with the settings.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Unsure why you would try anything else after trying hawk 60's. They have amazing bite, super rotor friendly, and handle heat very well when they get thin.

Pagids typically last twice as long as the Hawks on most platforms but they have less initial bite so you have to change your braking up a bit if you want a longer lasting pad.

To my knowledge, the DTC-60 aren't available for either factory option (pp or not).

The Pagid endurance compounds have always been on my radar, but i was happy with the performance and availability of the 60s (for the Mk6). With that option not forthcoming for the Mk7, i'm considering PP brakes for the fronts in part for the increase in compound choices. It would be very interesting to know if a retrofit to the Mk6 caliper & carrier is possible...

Anyway, WTF is up with Hawk not delivering the goods here? You'd think that with the platform being 5+ years old, they'd have gotten around to it by now. Feel like i'm being forced to cook with the wrong charcoal and i don't like the taste :p

Not even close bud. Short/tight/twisty tracks will always eat tires/brakes no matter what on any car.
[emoji1787] I own a PP and non-PP car. The non-PP car melts center caps with xds on.

Him having a wavetrac makes that largely irrelevant though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Was at VIR with Trackdaze this past Monday/Tuesday, first successful run in Mk7, yes the VWR catch can did the trick! Very happy to feel the 034 dynamic camber mounts increasing my front end plantedness, and this is especially satisfying to see afterwards that the shoulders are not devastated as they were in the Mk6 on stock mounts. Not sure i'm liking the KW V1, but there was a Bilstein shortage, so that's what i ended up with...

The brakes, though... i have non-pp. Shopping around for the supposed best performance option, i went with Carbotech XPS-10 in front and -8 in rear as recommended by the engineer i spoke with about the compounds. Burned through the fronts like they were nothing in less than 5 hours, and also heavy scoring to rotors front and rear, so this won't be a future choice. Wish i'd kept the Mk6 parts to see if a retrofit is possible. In any case, i never had any fade or anything like that, so IMHO the system is sufficient for threshold brakers. ;)

For a comparative analysis, Carbotech XPS-10 ~ $330 over ~ 5 hours, ~ $66/hr
previously, Hawk DTC-60 ~ $200 over ~ 8 hours, ~ $25/hr

Do you have any video to share? I’m really happy to see other GTi’s running at VIR.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Do you have any video to share? I’m really happy to see other GTi’s running at VIR.

I was hoping to see you there! It was so frickin' hot, though... :(

Been to about 20 Trackdaze events and there are always GTIs, Rs, R32s in the mix... i think they actually started as a VW club.

Have video but no YT account, planning on fixing that sometime in the near future.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Hah! It’s way to hot for me in the Summer. Spring and Fall are when I go. Easier on the car and me. Lol
Just got back from trip to Vancouver. 72-74 during the day and 60F at night. PERFECT!!

Only done one TrackDaze event. Definitely a broader cross section of cars.

VIR is a super cool track. Essentially my home track so I know I’m biased but I’ve had an instructor who drove from Alaska to drive at VIR

It’s fast but also very technical.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Where does one find info on TrackDaze? I'm not too far from VIR and would love to go

edit: sorry Googled it. Looks like a good way to get on track.

not to highjack the thread but I Need a helmet though. any advise on where to buy or try one on near the Raleigh area?

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
OG Racing, Pegasus if you know you helmet size.

I got mine at HMS Motorsport in Charlotte.

If you are in Raleigh also look at running with Carolinas PCA and Tarheel BMW. I also enjoy running with the Potomac Audi club when they are at VIR.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
If either of you have Daytona videos, I'll love to see them. Get an idea where I can improve.

Doing the full course at Sebring next month. I'll be doing pads and fluid, but probably still stock tires. I want to save the RE71R'S for autocross.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Daytona looks like a fun track to run on, after watching your video. I didn’t realize how much time you spend on the oval. What was your v-max? Getting good corner exit onto the oval is key.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Xds applys brakes to aid in faster turn it so yes it will wear brakes faster. Mine isn't off but it is set to low. You can definitely tell a difference with the settings.

I still have my Pagid RSL 19’s on my rear PP brakes, after 2-seasons of DEs and road miles.

I need to check my XDS setting. I had switched it off and then back to low or weak. When I brain fart and forget to switch ESC off the rear brakes do get extra toasty.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Do a lot of people turn XDS off for track days? My rear pads are at ~1mm after 2 track weekends (14 total sessions) with only 15k total miles on the car. My friends, who are not familiar with VW, are saying the XDS is probably the main reason for the rear pads wearing so quickly.

Try the Pagid RSL 19’s. I leave them in for my DD and they do not eat rotors. Heck I left my RSL29’s in for the street as well when I had my PP front brakes. Pagids are pricey but the do last longer and are relatively kind to rotors.

OG Racing carries them.

Attachments

• 2318D2DC-C48F-479D-B8E9-AE3A58721BDD.jpeg
    2318D2DC-C48F-479D-B8E9-AE3A58721BDD.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 178

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Does anyone know of an alternate source for axles for the Mk7 GTi with Performance Pack with 6-speed manual? Dealer prices are ridiculous.

I discovered a pinhole in my inner passenger side CV boot which my Dealer missed. It appears that I’ve caught it in time, based on the amount of grease slung out. No way to tell based on that. No noise that I can detect although the inner joint makes for a little more difficult diagnoses than the outer joint.

I’ve purchased the OE boot. For the price of an inner joint I’d like to consider a good used drive shaft or if any one has a source for an aftermarket GKN drive shaft?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know of an alternate source for axles for the Mk7 GTi with Performance Pack with 6-speed manual? Dealer prices are ridiculous.

I discovered a pinhole in my inner passenger side CV boot which my Dealer missed. It appears that I’ve caught it in time, based on the amount of grease slung out. No way to tell based on that. No noise that I can detect although the inner joint makes for a little more difficult diagnoses than the outer joint.

I’ve purchased the OE boot. For the price of an inner joint I’d like to consider a good used drive shaft or if any one has a source for an aftermarket GKN drive shaft?

That is one component where I recommend staying oem. The tolerance on the diff end is extremely tight, and even a millimeter of play in any direction will mess with the functionality of your diff. For sensitive driveline components, my experience with aftermarket axles on several platforms has been horrible. I haven't been through it yet on my gti, but I have on my previous wrx, forester xt, accord, and other people's mustangs, camaro, corvettes, and an a4. In every situation the aftermarket part was pulled and replaced for oe (or just sold the car when the diff was badly damaged). Ymmv, but oe pricing is quite fair in these circumstances. Look at purchasing online through your local dealer's site, and it may save you a bit... At my local dealer the entire assembly is 570$ per side, or the inner joint is 480. They also sell a "remanufactured" inner joint for 255.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Tried out some new tyres on the weekend. Zestino 07RS. 140tw with a Street tyre tread and dirt cheap. Was actually really impressed. Matched my time on Nankang AR1 semi slicks, I’m sure I can beat it though. Stiff sidewalls and fantastic grip. Had one of the instructors have a quick drive and he was equally impressed. I’m guessing these are as good or better than RE71R but a lot cheaper.