GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I need a superpin? (vid)

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Car has 45k on it. I did all the mods in my sig within 2 months of getting it (I'm second owner). I didn't notice much about the shifting before putting in the ssk.

https://youtu.be/Pj3YHD-69Xw

Watch the vid and notice the metallic clink noise when going into 3rd and especially when I vibrate the knob at the end.

Whats happening lately is that on undulating high way at speed, the knob rattles like that (though not as loudly).

Also, every once in a while when shifting very aggressively, 3rd doesn't want to notch in.

I also don't like the metallic sound it makes going into 3rd.

Is this a job for superpin plus the ball shim and dremel zip tie trick Jim shows on his site?

I assume it's been worn since i got it but the firmer suspension and ssk are not masking symptoms like stock setup did.

Thanks.

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Did you happen to re-tighten the set screws on the BFI knob with some blue loctite? sometimes when mine start to come loose (have a few times even with blue loctite) this helps. I sometimes get a metallic sound when shifting and I think it's because i need to reapply loctite on the set screws.

Super-pin should help get rid of some of that side to side slop while in gear. I have it installed in mine with the DG shifter shaft bushings. I didn't shim the ball like DG suggests but kind of wish I would've while i had it ripped apart. Didn't do the zip tie mod they suggest when installing superpin.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Did you happen to re-tighten the set screws on the BFI knob with some blue loctite? sometimes when mine start to come loose (have a few times even with blue loctite) this helps. I sometimes get a metallic sound when shifting and I think it's because i need to reapply loctite on the set screws.

Super-pin should help get rid of some of that side to side slop while in gear. I have it installed in mine with the DG shifter shaft bushings. I didn't shim the ball like DG suggests but kind of wish I would've while i had it ripped apart. Didn't do the zip tie mod they suggest when installing superpin.
j

Nope. Haven't inspected the knob at all. It doesn't seem loose or anything. The noise seems to be coming from under the boot. But it couldn't hurt to check. Thanks!

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Just an FYI, I used to have my BFI knob set a bit above the lowest point and it never made any noises when loose but now that i have it on the lowest spot, it does seem to make noise when changing gear. I think I'm actually going to loosen mine and raise it up just a tad over the lowest point and reapply loctite.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Fit their "Shaft" delrin bushes first as that just requires you to remove the gearknob….I have those fitted, & I have converted the whole selector mech to full metal short shift using audi/vw parts...& fitted bronze bushes by 42DD.....

It got rid of 90% of the slop & made it more accurate.....will do the superpin by Dieselgeek..just hate having to take apart the center console….again!

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Just an FYI, I used to have my BFI knob set a bit above the lowest point and it never made any noises when loose but now that i have it on the lowest spot, it does seem to make noise when changing gear. I think I'm actually going to loosen mine and raise it up just a tad over the lowest point and reapply loctite.

Hey, you were right. I had a look and a couple of the screws were not as tight as they could be. I redid them with new locktite and also raised the mount up a bit and the metallic noise is gone.

There's still the side to side slop, but I can live with that for now.

Well done.

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Hey, you were right. I had a look and a couple of the screws were not as tight as they could be. I redid them with new locktite and also raised the mount up a bit and the metallic noise is gone.

There's still the side to side slop, but I can live with that for now.

Well done.

Awesome, hopefully that'll hold you off for a bit until you feel like tearing that console apart for the superpin. If you end up doing the superpin, I'd install their bushings as well since you'll have it all apart, it would be easy to get to.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Awesome, hopefully that'll hold you off for a bit until you feel like tearing that console apart for the superpin. If you end up doing the superpin, I'd install their bushings as well since you'll have it all apart, it would be easy to get to.

It's definitely too hot here to be wrestling the interior apart. That's more of a late October job. Now I can wait a bit more patiently without that rattle happening anymore. Had to rest my hand on the knob to keep it quiet cruising on certain bits of highway.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

Is it worth pulling the entire console out for the superpin?

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
It definitely helped to get rid of some of the slop but not as much as I'd hoped. I didn't shim the ball or do the zip tie as diesel geek suggested. Those two prob would've tightened it up even more. I really didn't think it was that horrible to take out the console

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

Yes. The Superpin has been one of my favorite mods.

I had a lot of slop, especially in 3rd and 4th gear, so much so that I couldn't tell if it was in gear or neutral.

The superpin tightened up each gear and neutral significantly. I also did the Dremel mod and shimmed the ball, but the superpin did the majority of the work.

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Yes. The Superpin has been one of my favorite mods.

I had a lot of slop, especially in 3rd and 4th gear, so much so that I couldn't tell if it was in gear or neutral.

The superpin tightened up each gear and neutral significantly. I also did the Dremel mod and shimmed the ball, but the superpin did the majority of the work.
Really wish I would've done the zip tie and ball shim when I had that torn apart. Maybe I'll tear it out again in the fall and do those things. The side to side slop while in gear drives me nuts.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Really wish I would've done the zip tie and ball shim when I had that torn apart. Maybe I'll tear it out again in the fall and do those things. The side to side slop while in gear drives me nuts.

For what it's worth taking the dash apart the second time will be much easier .

The Dremel mod should fix the rest of your side to side slop. Just get a good sized zip tie and crank it down nice and tight.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk