GOLFMKV

Unnatural Sound When Turning Wheel from Stop

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Preface:
2018 SE with 13.5k miles

I know what a blown CV axle sounds like...this isn't it. I inspected an they're good.
I know what a CA/endlink issue sounds like...this isn't it

So this has been occasionally been going on since swapping in my FC04 18x8 ET30 wheels (did not happen with stock wheels).

It ONLY happens when going forward. It ONLY happens when driving from a stop (never while driving normally and turning). It ONLY happens when wheel is turned almost all the way. It happens turning left OR right.

At first, I thought the new wheel dimensions were causing rubbing on my rally armor flaps, but there's no sign of rubbing and there is plenty of clearance. Then I thought it might be due to the ET and the inside of the wheel is rubbing against the brake line or arms....but again, I cranked the wheel all the way and there's plenty of clearance.

It almost sounds like gears trying to engage for a few seconds. If I straighten out the wheel just a tad and/or go slower, the noise goes away. And what is annoying is, it doesn't happen all the time.

No other symptoms. It was up on a lift and I inspected for signs of rubbing (I've had air ride, so I know what that looks like :rolleyes:) and I don't see anything.

It drives perfectly over bumps. It turns over bumps perfectly with no noise.

I'm at a loss.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So no thoughts, eh?

TronixMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I get a similar sound. It almost sounds ABS kicking in which it’s not. Usually when I’m pulling out of a parking space when I just turn on the car. It’s when I’m close to full turn as well. I’ve just ignored it. I have 13k miles. Usually lasts for about a second then I don’t hear it again.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I get a similar sound. It almost sounds ABS kicking in which it’s not. Usually when I’m pulling out of a parking space when I just turn on the car. It’s when I’m close to full turn as well. I’ve just ignored it. I have 13k miles. Usually lasts for about a second then I don’t hear it again.

Yeah mine does that too. I mentioned it to my dealer and they couldn't find anything.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
It’s almost as if something in the geometry momentarily binds up or rubs under very specific circumstances.

THIS. Better description than I wrote, but it made me think my new wheels caused the geometry to be all off.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Pretty sure my 19 SE does the same thing. Never really thought much of it - just a quirk of the car.

TronixMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m going to try to get a video and I’ll show my tech at my next service. I’m all stock so your setup might enhance it or make it last longer than stock.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
wider/stickier tires making it more pronounced.

Yeah I can buy that. As long as it's something everyone else is hearing, I at least know I'm not crazy

TronixMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Reviving this with an update. My noise started increasing and it became a clunk or rattle in my steering/suspension. The noise that I was hearing (binding noise) now happens almost every time I tight turn or make a u-turn. I also get a clunking noise over minor bumps. Sounds like a blown damper and spring bouncing around. Mostly on the left side. Wondering if it’s an end link or sway bar issue. It’s at the dealer now. I have 20k miles so hopefully all is warrantied. I’ll post an update. Maybe the ‘normal’ noise might become a problem down the line.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Check your strut mounts and bearings. I recently had a pretty significant clunk/knock on my driver side that I couldn't track down. Ultimately decided to "throw parts at it" in the form of strut mounts and bearings and it completely solved the issue (even though I had installed new mounts and bearings a year ago when I installed my new springs and dampers).

Turned out my driver side strut mount bearing had a "dent" in it from the spring. Must have bottomed out over a bump or something and it was causing the bearing to bind under certain conditions. Similar to yours, it got progressively worse and sounded like it was "lower down" and more prominent than it turned out to be.

Almost willing to bet this will solve it for you.