GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water under passenger side carpet

Russell1

I have a huge amount of water collecting underneath the passenger side carpet in the footwell. It’s absolutely soaking. Worth noting that this is a Right hand drive car, ie in the UK. I’ve done a lot of googling and most pages point to the air con drain pipe. But this is actually located on my drivers side unlike most of the pages I find, as most posts are from American owners therefore having left hand drive cars. Anyone got any ideas what it could be ?

It doesn’t appear to be a door seal or anything, the water seems to collect in the footwell below the carpet and fills up over time. The carpet and trimming round the doors are bone dry.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
You will need to peel the carpet back and watch for runs/drips as a hose is sprayed over the car, around the windscreen, door, door glass, scuttle panel etc, dry carpet higher up doesn’t mean it’s not coming from that point, it will run behind it whilst not making it wet, it could be getting in around the HVAC fresh air inlet below the left side of the windscreen underneath the scuttle panel, or possibly a bad seal around the windscreen, from the door is possible but I’d be inclined to think it’s not that, at what angle do you park? It could be getting in at the rear and running forward! Do you have a sunroof?

Russell1

You will need to peel the carpet back and watch for runs/drips as a hose is sprayed over the car, around the windscreen, door, door glass, scuttle panel etc, dry carpet higher up doesn’t mean it’s not coming from that point, it will run behind it whilst not making it wet, it could be getting in around the HVAC fresh air inlet below the left side of the windscreen underneath the scuttle panel, or possibly a bad seal around the windscreen, from the door is possible but I’d be inclined to think it’s not that, at what angle do you park? It could be getting in at the rear and running forward! Do you have a sunroof?

Thanks I’ll check those out. Usually always park on a flat surface, my drive at home and parking area at work are flat. No I have no sunroof. What I have noticed is that it seems to have cropped up the last couple of times I’ve drove considerable distances, my journey to work etc are all pretty close to home, but it’s not as if it’s been particularly rainy when it’s hapoened which makes me think it’s not rain water, it’s rained much heavier and I haven’t noticed anything. I’ve attached a picture, and in the pic u can see the holes in the metalwork below the carpet, what are these for ? Or where do they go ? I actually think this could be where it’s coming from because I noticed there is water down there too also

Attachments

• 17042CA5-EEFB-43E5-932A-515695F20920.jpeg
    17042CA5-EEFB-43E5-932A-515695F20920.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 2,531

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Door panel vapor barrier breach. I'd put money (or doughnuts :D) on it.

silver381

golfgtdude

Passed Driver's Ed
I had this problem, your answer is here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34902

In most cases it's the rear doors. Put the hose on the door at the glass and seal, open your door and if the water is on the seal that's your problem door.
I've had the rear door leak in the past and the problem described here is not that.

The leak on my car that is worst when the car is parked on an incline with front of car higher than rear. During rainfall water comes into the car through the point as illustrated (this is behind the wiring looms in the passenger footwell). The last time I had a bad rainfall the water worked its way through the rear footwell.... and i had an inch of water to vacuum out.

These youtube video also illustrate this:
https://youtube.com/shorts/TB9CCTlTIq8?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/yDlLDjjcqYA?feature=share

I am still struggling to work out what the ingress point is.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-14 at 20.54.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-14 at 20.54.06.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 375