GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Prevent Carbon build up ?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Not just South America, Europe lost port injection too. It got the axe on the 2019 EA888 when bringing the engine up to WLTP standards.

:(

I admittedly haven't done much reading on the subject, but I was under the impression that with DI engines, fuel type/quality doesn't really have an effect one way or the other on carbon build up, since fuel never touches the valves. I'm sure I'm overlooking something here.

I've ran E40 for most of the life of my car, so I certainly hope you're right!

The fuel doesn't wash over the valves, but it does burn much cleaner. Much of what ends up on the valves is burped back from the cylinder, especially at low room/idle when the car is using valve overlap to simulate EGR.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I think a lot of us have seen that kind of result from older TSI Gens and FSI engines. The Gen 3 has a much more sophisticated PCV/breather system and produces way less oil/water vapor mist. There are several that have installed OCCs on their MkVIIs that have little to no residual in the can when drained. So, broadly, an OCC may be beneficial for an older engine in that it will catch the residual, but even then it has not really been proven that this doesn't simply burn off or in fact produce more deposits.

If that's the goal of less oil/water vapor mist, then ideally you would like an oil with low NOACK.

Good luck with that with 502.00 oils.
Redline 5w30 and Euro 5w40 have low NOACK evaporation, but do not have the current 502.00 certification.
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 supposedly has a low NOACK also, but it is a 504.00 oil, if you want to use that.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Now that 508.00 0W20 oil is mandated for the 2019 GTI, anyone have thoughts on this oil as far as being a high flash point.
I plan on using Revanol for my first oil change and see how the engine likes it.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Thank you for posting that for all the people who say an OCC isn't necessary.

I think a lot of us have seen that kind of result from older TSI Gens and FSI engines. The Gen 3 has a much more sophisticated PCV/breather system and produces way less oil/water vapor mist. There are several that have installed OCCs on their MkVIIs that have little to no residual in the can when drained. So, broadly, an OCC may be beneficial for an older engine in that it will catch the residual, but even then it has not really been proven that this doesn't simply burn off or in fact produce more deposits.

Correct the 2015 tiguan used in the example is a different engine and pcv system so its not really apples to apples there. Hey if you want a catch can go for it, is it needed or will it prevent you from getting carbon buildup all together, probably not.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
If that's the goal of less oil/water vapor mist, then ideally you would like an oil with low NOACK.

Good luck with that with 502.00 oils.
Redline 5w30 and Euro 5w40 have low NOACK evaporation, but do not have the current 502.00 certification.
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 supposedly has a low NOACK also, but it is a 504.00 oil, if you want to use that.

Always a tough choice with mid/full SAPS 502 oils. The M1 is good stuff but need to keep an eye on the detergent/dispersant add pack as it can be depleted quicker than the most 502 stuff. The NOACK of the Castrol 0w-40 is 8.xx which is pretty low for what it is. 502 rated though :).