GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tinted windows in NYS on GSWs

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Here in Arizona, the law is 33%, but if you live in metro Phoenix or Tucson, where the heat is really brutal in the summertime, you rarely ever hear of anyone getting popped for darker tint.

Fact is, you'll get almost the same benefit (UV ray blocking and heat rejection) with a legal tint as you'd get by going full Green Hornet. So I have no problem staying legal (or close enough to it to slide). I've done my cars 35% all around with 20% on the back window since I've lived in AZ. Quite effective and never a second glance from Johnny Law.

cb1111

Here in Arizona, the law is 33%, but if you live in metro Phoenix or Tucson, where the heat is really brutal in the summertime, you rarely ever hear of anyone getting popped for darker tint.

Fact is, you'll get almost the same benefit (UV ray blocking and heat rejection) with a legal tint as you'd get by going full Green Hornet. So I have no problem staying legal (or close enough to it to slide). I've done my cars 35% all around with 20% on the back window since I've lived in AZ. Quite effective and never a second glance from Johnny Law.
Actually, you can get the benefit from 70% ceramic tint.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm at 35% on my 18 Oryx white R for 5 months. With the black interior and no roof, it looks more like 20% most of the time. I was pulled over once for rolling thru a stop sign at night and the nypd gave me 4 windows worth of tint tickets. She must've been in a bad mood. I've passed many cops and most don't bat an eye, but they always can give you a ticket. Pay to play, if you don't want to deal with potential pull overs or tickets, don't tint. Its also not possible to tint the tiny windows in front of the mirror, but you can do black vinyl over them from the outside.

Regarding inspection, there are many places that will pass you even with tints, you just have to know here to go.

It's possible to tint the small windows, you just need to patronize a shop that doesn't use recently released felons.

cb1111

It's possible to tint the small windows, you just need to patronize a shop that doesn't use recently released felons.
Right. If the felon has been out for awhile then they'll be able to tint the little triangle. It must have something to do with prison air or something.

stockgolfr

Passed Driver's Ed

really? my guy tried and couldn't get to them. I know other guys who ran into the same issue. He isn't the best in the area, but he does good work and has for 20 years.

stockgolfr

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, is it that easy to do? I'm only asking bc I'll get them done by someone that knows what they are doing. I always thought it was kind of wierd they never even tried.

On a side note we hire felons with non violent crimes at my job and they seem to last longer than most. Then again minimum wage doesnt bring the most enthusiastic or skilled candidates.

Chymerix

Honestly, is it that easy to do? I'm only asking bc I'll get them done by someone that knows what they are doing. I always thought it was kind of wierd they never even tried.

On a side note we hire felons with non violent crimes at my job and they seem to last longer than most. Then again minimum wage doesnt bring the most enthusiastic or skilled candidates.

I had mine done by The Art of Tint in Brooklyn, http://www.theartoftint.com/automotive (I’m assuming you’re in NYC from your previous comments).

It was a couple of years ago, but they did the tiny windows without me even asking about them. Their work is top quality and Tom, the owner, was great answering all my questions.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
For what it's worth in Canada,we can tint our back three windows as much as we want as long as you are ok seeing out of them but we cannot have any on the two sides or the windshield.The police are not picky about a little but they have meters they carry in their cars and if it does not pass they can tell you to remove it on the spot and they don't care how you remove it.