GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear sway bar and end links

Alpha61

Passed Driver's Ed
Dear all,

About to purchase a rear sway bar, but they (sales) mentioned that I should upgrade the end links from stock. Looking at the APR rear sway bar. Thoughts? Actual evidence?

Alpha61

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, but what does it provide over the stock ones?

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
I don't think upgraded links are absolutely necessary but I imagine they will last longer than plastic. That's why I upgraded when I installed my rear swaybar. That and I was already under the car getting dirty.

Worst case is you run the stock ones and upgrade later if they break, you find a good sale, get the mod bug, etc.

The Moog endlinks mentioned above are a popular choice because they're metal instead of plastic, affordable, and should be quieter than most aftermarket alternatives. Plus the Zerk fittings for adding grease are a nice feature. The only downside I can see is that they'll pick up some surface rust pretty quickly, although nothing a quick coat of paint can't fix.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Got Moog end links in the front and back. Love em even slammed on coilovers. I may upgrade to adjustable ones in the future, but meh

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ccbird

Ready to race!
Ok, but what does it provide over the stock ones?

Also went moog on my setup, main thing it got me was not having the hassle of removing the stock links. I tried and they were a pain in the a** to get off.

Moog solved that issue as well as an inexpensive upgrade that are a quality product.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Also went moog on my setup, main thing it got me was not having the hassle of removing the stock links. I tried and they were a pain in the a** to get off.

Moog solved that issue as well as an inexpensive upgrade that are a quality product.

in case anyone else sees this, the trick to them is apparently impact wrench for removal. Otherwise it's the torx to fix the bolt in place and box wrench to get the nut off (slow and steady). I cracked one (the bolt at the torx bit) during reinstall back in the day and used it as the excuse to upgrade/replace to moogs. Worth it. Getting that cracked one off was a pain though.

Heads up, moog also makes front end links with the greasable zerk fittings as well.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
in case anyone else sees this, the trick to them is apparently impact wrench for removal. Otherwise it's the torx to fix the bolt in place and box wrench to get the nut off (slow and steady). I cracked one (the bolt at the torx bit) during reinstall back in the day and used it as the excuse to upgrade/replace to moogs. Worth it. Getting that cracked one off was a pain though.

Heads up, moog also makes front end links with the greasable zerk fittings as well.

Are those Torx or Triple Square?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
The stock end links have a 6mm triple square you need to hold while using a 16mm wrench.

The Moog endlinks just need an open ended wrench to hold the washer (I think it was like 17mm or so) and a 15mm socket to tighten the bolt. Keep in mind the end links are bare metal so either paint them or use some rust proofing spray so keep them in good shape. They have a zerk fitting for a grease gun which is nice too. A worthy upgrade since you're there already and they're cheap from Rockauto.

I did the install over the weekend and a tip for anyone doing these is put the end links onto the sway bar first before putting them back in the control arms. There is very little room for a socket to fit in because of the rear springs.