GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question Regarding Wheel Alignment

TBdaGhost

Hi guys. Got what very well may be a dumb question but here goes.

2015 GTI

Dealer today recommended a wheel alignment. I was going to go ahead with it but the weren't able to get to it today.

Wondering does this look pretty bad? The car and steering wheel isn't shaking at all. It drives straight. I haven't noticed anything odd at all.

Also about the part on the bottom of the pic, am I able to take it somewhere else to have it done or should I realy just take it to the dealership.

Thanks guys

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The car and steering wheel won't shake unless a wheel is out of balance or if you are on the brakes and your steering wheel goes back and forth you have out of round rotors. If you need an alignment your tires won't be wearing evenly. Look at your tread if the tires are wearing evenly your car does not need an alignment.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
Is your steering wheel even straight when driving down the road? Seems like it would be crab walking a bit

TBdaGhost

Steering wheel is straight, I realy haven't noticed anything while driving. The tire wear isn't noticeably uneven but I use winter tires a few months of the year and the tires are rotated at that time.

I'm just going to get it done at the dealer. It doesn't cost too much. Is it true they can't adjust the front though?

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Steering wheel is straight, I realy haven't noticed anything while driving. The tire wear isn't noticeably uneven but I use winter tires a few months of the year and the tires are rotated at that time.

I'm just going to get it done at the dealer. It doesn't cost too much. Is it true they can't adjust the front though?

I am pretty sure they can. I took my car to a dealer and they aligned it (not to my satisfaction, couldnt get the fronts in line) so I took it to the VW indy shop in my area (Eurofed) and they got me all square.

I am not sure if its because I am on coils they could adjust it... or if the VW shop was just lazy.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
you can fix the front camber a bit with a subframe shift, but its more advanced stuff most shops would not bother with.