GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
That may be, but to me if it's not listed as included in the trim on the manufacturer's page and/or build, and especially if added in the optional accessories section as it is on these, then it's an optional add-on I didn't ask for and I will walk out if considerations as such aren't taken. The dealer told me they added them in their factory order as things people usually want, so while factory delivered they're dealer ordered. Their bad call to me if they'll let that bugger a deal, which none if them seemed willing to push it to do.

It wouldn't be any different if you (special) ordered the car and wanted the mats though...they're truly factory options:
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinspire.com/emichvw/uploads/2018/11/2019_VW_Golf_GTI_Order_Guide.pdf

cb1111

It became something new, as an option, for 2019...."VW CARE" under market delivery options:
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinspire.com/emichvw/uploads/2018/11/2019_VW_Golf_GTI_Order_Guide.pdf
Any way they try to frame it, if you have to buy it (meaning you have to do your maintenance at the dealer) then it is a violation of the MM Act.

Not only is it a possible violation of the MM act, but it also stifles the ability to mod your car - a smart move if it were legal.

If they raised the price by $215 and gave you "free" maintenance, then it would be legal. Leaving it an option is legal, but adding a mandatory option is not legal.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
It wouldn't be any different if you (special) ordered the car and wanted the mats though...they're truly factory options:

Yes it is, because a special order that I included it means I wanted it, agreed to it, and paid for it as an option on my special order. If they're going to include it as a default, required, factory 'add-on' then it needs to be removed from the Options list since it's no longer an option but a mandatory part of the order such as a DSG or Manual. If I don't want one of those I wouldn't get the car then. If I didn't want to pay for 'forced' options same applies.

This is nothing new. They used to do the same with alarm systems. Sometimes they still do, as a $500 option. But a lot of dealers will have it included in cars on the lot by default. My sister has gotten a couple of cars with free alarm systems because she didn't want it and that was the limit to making a deal. It was easier/cheaper for them to leave it on then have their techs take it off (if even an option to do). So they'd take off the $500 to get the sale (and no, wouldn't change anything else to account or she'd rip them one).

Hell, they're still doing it with automatic transmissions. There are cars that no longer offer a manual (if they ever did) yet still charge an additional fee for the automatic transmission. If that's the only transmission available, it'd better be included. I'm hoping the manual option is always there, even if it means a charge like that, but if not that is one thing I'll be arguing at that point as well. I'll probably lose and walk out, but that's plain robbery.

cb1111

Yes it is, because a special order that I included it means I wanted it, agreed to it, and paid for it as an option on my special order. If they're going to include it as a default, required, factory 'add-on' then it needs to be removed from the Options list since it's no longer an option but a mandatory part of the order such as a DSG or Manual. If I don't want one of those I wouldn't get the car then. If I didn't want to pay for 'forced' options same applies.

This is nothing new. They used to do the same with alarm systems. Sometimes they still do, as a $500 option. But a lot of dealers will have it included in cars on the lot by default. My sister has gotten a couple of cars with free alarm systems because she didn't want it and that was the limit to making a deal. It was easier/cheaper for them to leave it on then have their techs take it off (if even an option to do). So they'd take off the $500 to get the sale (and no, wouldn't change anything else to account or she'd rip them one).

Hell, they're still doing it with automatic transmissions. There are cars that no longer offer a manual (if they ever did) yet still charge an additional fee for the automatic transmission. If that's the only transmission available, it'd better be included. I'm hoping the manual option is always there, even if it means a charge like that, but if not that is one thing I'll be arguing at that point as well. I'll probably lose and walk out, but that's plain robbery.
Really? Do you have an example?

pcpayne

2018 DBP Autobahn DSG, not sure if it was a dealer demo, loaner, etc. but it had been titled only a couple months ago, less than 700 mi. $29,495 +TTL.

cb1111

2018 DBP Autobahn DSG, not sure if it was a dealer demo, loaner, etc. but it had been titled only a couple months ago, less than 700 mi. $29,495 +TTL.
Dealer reported it sold and titled it to get the VW trunk money (incentives) that was going away.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Really? Do you have an example?

Just go walk around some lots. I saw it a lot a couple years ago when I was looking around, saw it some this time, and see it here & there when bored waiting on service. It's no secret the manual is dying, yet they still act like the automatic is an option.

Just randomly picked one, the Chevy Cruz has no manual option. But the build page didn't break out the pricing like a window sticker and didn't have the option to do so.

Dodge's page won't load at work. >.<

Mazda's for the Mazda3 had Manual greyed out, and no price listed for the transmission. If they do start doing that I'll stand corrected (assuming they're not still adding the price in and acting like it's normal, which it would become unfortunately).

So unfortunately I can't provide a specific right now no. My comment is from my personal experience over the last few years wandering around lots for various reasons. It stuck with me because I was surprised it was on some of the window stickers. If they're stopping that as the manual dies off more then that experience may change. But if I see an example when out & about again I'll try and grab a picture to post.

Last edited:

cb1111

Just go walk around some lots. I saw it a lot a couple years ago when I was looking around, saw it some this time, and see it here & there when bored waiting on service. It's no secret the manual is dying, yet they still act like the automatic is an option.

Just randomly picked one, the Chevy Cruz has no manual option. But the build page didn't break out the pricing like a window sticker and didn't have the option to do so.

Dodge's page won't load at work. >.<

Mazda's for the Mazda3 had Manual greyed out, and no price listed for the transmission. If they do start doing that I'll stand corrected (assuming they're not still adding the price in and acting like it's normal, which it would become unfortunately).

So unfortunately I can't provide a specific right now no. My comment is from my personal experience over the last few years wandering around lots for various reasons. It stuck with me because I was surprised it was on some of the window stickers. If they're stopping that as the manual dies off more then that experience may change. But if I see an example when out & about again I'll try and grab a picture to post.

Some manufacturers specify the type of transmission under "installed equipment and options" on the Monroney sticker, but it would be blatantly illegal (not to mention stupid) to list a price for an automatic transmission if that was the only transmission available.

They could specify a price for an automatic transmission if more than one automatic transmission is available. I dimly remember a manufacturer (Chrysler?) offering a couple of different auto trannys on the same car some years ago.

timmytva

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi folks, new member, first post, this seems a good place to start.

28,995 = 2019 Cornflower Blue GTI Rabbit Edition, 6MT
235 = Monster mats, heavy duty trunk liner, CarGo blocks
150 = Bumperdillo
150 = Luggage net
895 = Destination
--------
30,275 = Sticker price

Out the door price = 24,367 + $699 dealer processing fee + TTL.

Only catch to that price was had to finance through dealer/VW Credit. Dealer was honest and asked that I keep loan for three months before paying off of refinancing through credit union. Apparently that's the trigger for the dealer to get the spiff from the bank. I got a good deal, so I didn't have a problem with that. The whole process was very easy. Visited dealer last week to look. Test drove Sunday. They got a Cornflower Blue on Tuesday. Went and test drove that, agreed to terms, filled out credit app. Signed all the papers and took her home Wednesday after dinner. I was out the door in less than 45 minutes. No high pressure tactics, not even in the finance office.

So far, so good. Gotta get a front license plate mount.

Thanks for the replies to my questions. Glad to be part of the gang.

Tim

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

150 = Bumperdillo
150 = Luggage net
895 = Destination
--------
30,275 = Sticker price

Congrats and that’s a good deal for a Rabbit especially when the dealer had to transfer the vehicle from someone else.

cb1111

150 = Bumperdillo
150 = Luggage net
895 = Destination
--------
30,275 = Sticker price

Only catch to that price was had to finance through dealer/VW Credit. Dealer was honest and asked that I keep loan for three months before paying off of refinancing through credit union. Apparently that's the trigger for the dealer to get the spiff from the bank. I got a good deal, so I didn't have a problem with that. The whole process was very easy. Visited dealer last week to look. Test drove Sunday. They got a Cornflower Blue on Tuesday. Went and test drove that, agreed to terms, filled out credit app. Signed all the papers and took her home Wednesday after dinner. I was out the door in less than 45 minutes. No high pressure tactics, not even in the finance office.

So far, so good. Gotta get a front license plate mount.

Thanks for the replies to my questions. Glad to be part of the gang.

Tim
Sounds like an extremely good deal. Which dealer was this?

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Any way they try to frame it, if you have to buy it (meaning you have to do your maintenance at the dealer) then it is a violation of the MM Act.

Not only is it a possible violation of the MM act, but it also stifles the ability to mod your car - a smart move if it were legal.

If they raised the price by $215 and gave you "free" maintenance, then it would be legal. Leaving it an option is legal, but adding a mandatory option is not legal.

If every GTI had this as a forced option, you'd be correct. Since they don't and it's likely the buyer can refuse this "option" at the sale or by choosing another vehicle, it's legit.

We all know VW is adamant for carefully following the letter of the law. :p

timmytva

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats and that’s a good deal for a Rabbit especially when the dealer had to transfer the vehicle from someone else.

I *think* they had this one inbound from port, rather than transferred from another dealer.. I can check the window sticker when I get home.

Tim