GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This car doesn't really "hard" stall.

It just goes to sleep.

Is it possible people just don't realize it's going to stall and aren't quick enough on the pedal?

(not trying to be critical of people's MT skills, please don't take it that way)

ImMrMeeseeks

Ready to race!

It just goes to sleep.

Is it possible people just don't realize it's going to stall and aren't quick enough on the pedal?

(not trying to be critical of people's MT skills, please don't take it that way)

Pretty ridiculous post regardless. Can’t speak for everyone but 3 out of my 8 vehicles were manuals. To say I don’t know what I’m doing is pretty silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Pretty ridiculous post regardless. Can’t speak for everyone but 3 out of my 8 vehicles were manuals. To say I don’t know what I’m doing is pretty silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not what I said.

Whatever you like though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

333Inlinesix

It just goes to sleep.

In my case, it was a very "soft" or quiet stall, like yours. In the three instances it happened to me, I would be traveling at roughly 40mph approaching a red light. As I've done in all my previous cars, and in my current E46 (140K miles on original clutch), I'd stay in gear to slow down while rpms drop or rev match and eventually switch to neutral for the last 5-10 mph or so and come to a stop. Once stopped, I can feel the car become too quiet and then I realize it had stalled quietly in that last bit of traveling while in neutral.

I interpreted that poster with the carpet/rubber mat issue as him having the all weather rubber mats on top of his carpeted mats. That's how the dealer gave me my car, and I immediately removed the rubber mats. I can say that in least my case, the mats have nothing to do with the stalling.

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
In my case, it was a very "soft" or quiet stall, like yours. In the three instances it happened to me, I would be traveling at roughly 40mph approaching a red light. As I've done in all my previous cars, and in my current E46 (140K miles on original clutch), I'd stay in gear to slow down while rpms drop or rev match and eventually switch to neutral for the last 5-10 mph or so and come to a stop. Once stopped, I can feel the car become too quiet and then I realize it had stalled quietly in that last bit of traveling while in neutral.

I interpreted that poster with the carpet/rubber mat issue as him having the all weather rubber mats on top of his carpeted mats. That's how the dealer gave me my car, and I immediately removed the rubber mats. I can say that in least my case, the mats have nothing to do with the stalling.

This is the same as what I experienced (also never put the rubber mats in when I got the car, so I have discounted the floor mat theory).

Schocker65

OK, so I have a prior experience with this type of behavior, but with a totally different vehicle. Sounds just like what we discovered on a brand new Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 back in the early 90's.

There was a slightly misrouted wiring harness against the firewall behind the clutch pedal "arm". When the clutch pedal was fully depressed, it pressed against the harness and caused a short which shut the car off instantly.

Long shot, but worth a look.

dmbrski

Cornflower Blue 12/18 Canadian model. Mine did it 5 or 6 time on the first day I drove the car. everytime coming to a stop after driving on the highway. never did it again since

ILMGTI

Ready to race!
Cornflower Blue 12/18 Canadian model. Mine did it 5 or 6 time on the first day I drove the car. everytime coming to a stop after driving on the highway. never did it again since

It seems to be related to the oil temp. If the temp is lower than 97°C (207°F), it won't stall.

333Inlinesix

Happened again yesterday. It does seem to happen only when the car is warmed up.

Another thing I want to mention is sometimes when I clutch in when in neutral at a stop, the rpms fluctuate a few hundred and then do it again as I release the clutch. Other times there is no rpm fluctuation. Related?

Schocker65

Happened again yesterday. It does seem to happen only when the car is warmed up.

Another thing I want to mention is sometimes when I clutch in when in neutral at a stop, the rpms fluctuate a few hundred and then do it again as I release the clutch. Other times there is no rpm fluctuation. Related?

Mine does this fluctuation EVERY TIME, but more like 50-100 RPM. I assume this is something intentional. Perhaps not? I do not have the stalling issue (so far) at 1200 miles.

2019 GTI S (6-speed manual) non-Rabbit Edition chiming in. I've had this engine shut off happen to me at around 350 miles on the odometer. It occurred while coming to a stop at a red light when I depressed the clutch. I was able to replicate the issue 5-6 times following the initial event. Not sure how relevant this information is but it happened about 30 minutes after filling up my car completely for the first time since taking ownership. Additionally, it was 45 degrees out and I had been driving the car approximately 2 hours by that point. I immediately took my car to the dealer where it sat for 3 days only for the techs to tell me that they could not replicate the issue. My car is currently sitting at ~700 miles and the issue has not happened since.

Edit: Happened this morning as I was driving to work. Weather was 56* F with a half tank of gas. I will be filling out the NHTSA complaint.

Last edited: