GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone get a used oil analysis?

zero10

Ready to race!
Just got my second UOA results, my copper still seems a bit high? But things look good otherwise. I'm going to stick with the SP-III for a while since it's 504.00 rated and I'd like to do extended change intervals on it once the warranty is up.

Attachments

• golf uoa.jpg
    golf uoa.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 553

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I should have an interesting comparison for us all in a few months. I have done 2 Blackstone analysis with Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5w-40. First sample was pulled at 40k mi with 6k mi on the oil; second one was pulled at 45k mi (obviously 5k on the oil). Both came back clean with no elevated metals at all.

At that point I decided that since I was going to be track driving more often, I wanted to just run less expensive oil and switch it more often (depending on the number of track days). I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 on that fill up and plan to switch it out at 5k (I have about 1500 miles left to go to at this point). I will do another Blackstone analysis and we can see if there are any differences between my Liqui Moly results and the regular Castrol synthetic (non-VAG502).

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
As mentioned above, not sure if there is much I could do if there was a problem, but I guess this gives some peace of mind.

Car has 40,000 miles on it.

Attachments

• 1 (Custom).jpg
    1 (Custom).jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 515
H

Huntermike

Castrol Edge 0w-30 A3/B4 in use for 5600 miles, 29,900 car miles when drained. Tons of life left and I was surprised to see the iron number so low. 90% highway miles, easy on the throttle until oil hits 180F then whatever.

Refilled with Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40 and a VW filter.
4C0E1146-DB13-433C-9C4E-C13553F43765.jpeg

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Here is my latest report too. As i mentioned above, I've been running LuqiMoly 5/40, but I decided to start running Castrol Edge 5/40 to see if there was any noteble change in wear on the motor. I've been JB1 since about 30k. Looks like even after three track days the Castrol held up quite well. I guess the the values of Molybdenum and Boron aren't not significant since they mentioned nothing about it?

Attachments

• 15 GTI-190106.JPG
    15 GTI-190106.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Thanks for posting these reports. Following for future updates..

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Moly and boron are anti-wear additives, not a contaminant.

Thanks Huntermike! For some reason, I thought Molybdenum was a material used to help metal alloys bond together when being made, so i assumed that it was being bled off of, or leaching out of, some alloy in the engine. Glad to hear I was incorrect.

danall

Passed Driver's Ed
No amount of boutique, 100% Group IV stock oil is going to affect anything meaningful.

I tend to agree with that. What would be interesting is to compare wear rates of such engine materials to the cold weather starting/running vs warm weather climate use. I find that starting my low mileage GTI when it is below freezing, has a noticeable engine noise until its warmed just a wee bit. I always maintain that starting a car once with cold oil in a cold climate (especially 0 degrees F or less) is probably equal to driving a few thousand miles warm.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
I tend to agree with that. What would be interesting is to compare wear rates of such engine materials to the cold weather starting/running vs warm weather climate use. I find that starting my low mileage GTI when it is below freezing, has a noticeable engine noise until its warmed just a wee bit. I always maintain that starting a car once with cold oil in a cold climate (especially 0 degrees F or less) is probably equal to driving a few thousand miles warm.

IME cold starts minutely increase wear rates as the pistons in particular have more clearance than when warm so they wiggle a bit in the bores. Hydraulic lifters can also trap some air and be noisy for a minute or so until the air is expelled. This however doesn't deter from 100,000 plus miles without any tangible wear.

I just tore down a VR6 with 108,000 miles on it and the bearings were like new. There was less than .001" wear in the cylinders because of the low tension pistons rings used in newer VWs to increase mpg. I would have no problem with doing a valve job and reassembling this engine and running it another 100,000 miles with the same bearings and rings as the end gaps were well within spec.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Forgot to post this a few weeks ago. My 2nd analysis. This time just under 7k on the interval. Heavy ethanol usage. Used lm jectron before the oil change and used lm ceratec during the interval.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
This UOA report reminds me that in another forum a car owner switched brands of oil because he had a small amount of silicon in two UOA reports. He was certain the oil he was using produced silicon until I explained to him that silicon is sand or dust that is typically drawn in thru a lose vacuum hose or improperly fitted air filter. After correcting the problem his UOA showed no more silicon to speak of.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
This UOA report reminds me that in another forum a car owner switched brands of oil because he had a small amount of silicon in two UOA reports. He was certain the oil he was using produced silicon until I explained to him that silicon is sand or dust that is typically drawn in thru a lose vacuum hose or improperly fitted air filter. After correcting the problem his UOA showed no more silicon to speak of.
I live on the water and I have to air compressor my engine bay every few weeks there's always sand in the little nooks. My house gets vacuumed multiple times a week lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Blackstone seems good, but they charge extra for TBN analysis, which is a good piece of information.

Some oils when you do a VOA, have presence of silicon in it, which is from a defoaming additive.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Blackstone seems good, but they charge extra for TBN analysis, which is a good piece of information.

Some oils when you do a VOA, have presence of silicon in it, which is from a defoaming additive.

Silicon is sand and it should not be used in oil. When it shows in a greater quantity than 5 PPM it typically comes from poor air filtration.

Last edited: