GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
Ed this is interesting. I'm stage 2 apr GTI but I have been eyeing your ots stage and Cobb AP. The goal down the road would be to go stage 3 which I would still need the Cobb. When I get to stage 3 I would want a custom etune from you. But it doesn't seem cost effective to do your ots only to do a custom tune down the road. Is there a way to do this and make it cost effective?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don't think it's ever "cost effective" to do buy another OTS tune and then pay for custom tuning down the road, regardless of what company.

Accessport is $675 (or $475'ish used) and comes with OTS Cobb ECU. Even if you add Ed's OTS tune ($125), you are all in at $600-800

Then you later want to get E-tuned ($400) and your all in $1000-1200. The kicker here is you can always sell the Accessport if you switched tune platforms, sell the car, return to stock, etc., and recoup that $475. So your end expense for Cobb OTS, EQT OTS, and EQT pro-tuned is only $525-725 after all is said and done -- Unless you plan to keep your car forever and never sell the Cobb AP.

For comparison, Eurodyne users pay $800 for the Eurodyne OTS tunes (ECU) and the ABILITY to have a custom tune done (Maestro). Then you pick your tuner and spend $200-500 to actually get that custom tune = all in $1000-1300

Note: buying a used Eurodyne cable ($80) only get you the cable, not even OTS tunes.

CmlapisMK7R

Ed,

How agressive is your air/fuels on your OTS stage tunes compaired to Cobb OTS? Also how agressive is your timing on 93 octane? Does outside tempertures affect the air/fuels that much on your OTS tunes?

Thanks

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Ed this is interesting. I'm stage 2 apr GTI but I have been eyeing your ots stage and Cobb AP. The goal down the road would be to go stage 3 which I would still need the Cobb. When I get to stage 3 I would want a custom etune from you. But it doesn't seem cost effective to do your ots only to do a custom tune down the road. Is there a way to do this and make it cost effective?

Let's ask how long 'down the road is'

Say you go stage2 with Ed's OTS tune for a year before going stage3 and custom.

If you consider the OTS cost spread out over that year, it's less than $11 a month. WELL worth it in my opinion to get a much better tune compared to what Cobb offers.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Ed, have a question. I already have a walbro 450LPFP pump and can run full E85 via UM's flex fuel tune. If the car has port injection with upgraded 1300ccinjectors. (port). is there any benefit from running iroz' brushless pump? i see it as pricey and not needed. please educate me. lines are stock. not upgraded. HPFP is also factory. car is an R. goal is to not have to think about E-mixes with the EQT turbo and be able to fill up the tank with E85 occasionally. most of the time the vehicle will be on pump93oct. solely.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That question isn't quite about EQT's E-Tuning services hahaha.

I'd say no you don't need it unless you run out of pump on full E85 and don't think the flow bump from swapping to a Walbro 525 and upgrading your lines would be enough.

The IROZ brushless is for HP levels beyond what the EQT turbo could do IMO. It's way too much money for 500hp, but it's a bargain if your goal is 700hp+.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

There is no really "cost effective" way to do that. You would be buying two completely different tunes, so you'd have to pay for them. My pricing is reasonable as it is, so there's only so much I can do and still make this stuff worth my time investment. Hope you understand.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed,

How agressive is your air/fuels on your OTS stage tunes compaired to Cobb OTS? Also how agressive is your timing on 93 octane? Does outside tempertures affect the air/fuels that much on your OTS tunes?

Thanks

I keep my a/f on the conservative side as I find it doesn't lose any power and helps keep things more consistent and knock free in varying conditions. My 93 Octane OTS maps don't run very aggressive in general. 1-2 degrees of extra timing compared to my 91 maps. I do run the 93 maps a little bit leaner and allow for a bit more boost as well. But in general, my OTS maps are definitely on the safe/smooth side. For something more aggressive I prefer to do some logging and e-tuning to verify things are running properly.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed, have a question. I already have a walbro 450LPFP pump and can run full E85 via UM's flex fuel tune. If the car has port injection with upgraded 1300ccinjectors. (port). is there any benefit from running iroz' brushless pump? i see it as pricey and not needed. please educate me. lines are stock. not upgraded. HPFP is also factory. car is an R. goal is to not have to think about E-mixes with the EQT turbo and be able to fill up the tank with E85 occasionally. most of the time the vehicle will be on pump93oct. solely.

It's probably best to consult with your tuner (UM) on this one. But if the 450lph pump is supplying enough fuel for your power levels on E85, then there is no benefit to upgrading it further.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed,

What sort of whp/wtq gain is acheived between your ED OTS stage 2 map and your custom e-tune?

That tends to depend on how well the OTS map is running on your specific car/setup/fuel/conditions. If its running optimally, I would say you'd be looking at around 10whp/15ft-lbs gain from going with a custom tune. If the OTS map isn't quite as happy and you want to go aggressive on the custom tune, we could see as much as 20whp/30ft-lbs. And of course the other benefit to the e-tune is making sure things are safe and proper as well as customizing the powerband to your liking.

Thanks
-- Ed

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
It's probably best to consult with your tuner (UM) on this one. But if the 450lph pump is supplying enough fuel for your power levels on E85, then there is no benefit to upgrading it further.

-- Ed

That question isn't quite about EQT's E-Tuning services hahaha.

I'd say no you don't need it unless you run out of pump on full E85 and don't think the flow bump from swapping to a Walbro 525 and upgrading your lines would be enough.

The IROZ brushless is for HP levels beyond what the EQT turbo could do IMO. It's way too much money for 500hp, but it's a bargain if your goal is 700hp+.

thanks guys. i figured the EQT would cause the engine to need more fuel for the additional output for full E85. if that is not the case then you are right probably not needed.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
thanks guys. i figured the EQT would cause the engine to need more fuel for the additional output for full E85. if that is not the case then you are right probably not needed.

It will absolutely need a lot more fuel than an IS38 on E85. But the 450 should be able to supply enough as long as its getting enough amperage. I've heard of people running a ground to chassis to help.

-- Ed

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
It will absolutely need a lot more fuel than an IS38 on E85. But the 450 should be able to supply enough as long as its getting enough amperage. I've heard of people running a ground to chassis to help.

-- Ed

hmm not a bad idea. any additional detail on the grounding? to the top plate/ring? or to a certain wire?
thank you.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
hmm not a bad idea. any additional detail on the grounding? to the top plate/ring? or to a certain wire?
thank you.

Drill a hole. grind off paint. bolt down wire with a ring connector.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Drill a hole. grind off paint. bolt down wire with a ring connector.

diggs, where does the other end go? i have to look at my LPFP connector again. i couldn't make it out from the photo. did you splice into a certain wire. used a pin on the connector? thanks.