GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Center trim got me!

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Guess I am now in the brotherhood of sliced fingers... cracked bezel around the shifter got me good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
So did the teen wolf gene by the look of things.

Didn’t know this was a reddit roast. You are correct though. Hairy mofo here.

cb1111

Report the incident to NHTSA via www.safercar.gov

VW trim is known to have this issue and is a design flaw. Even though VW will replace the trim under warranty, they really need to change the design. I don't know of another manufacturer who has these issues.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Damn...

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Are we technically supposed to be taking this stuff off anyway?
I've heard of people's trim cracking under what they say is normal wear and tear, and then it cuts them after they continue to use it in that state. Not that they are cut while taking the trim off.

That this is a relatively common problem is bad enough, but the fact that at least on the DSG, this cheap plastic trim piece is built-in to a $165 assembly with the shift boot and shift lever, is criminal :eek:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I've heard of people's trim cracking under what they say is normal wear and tear, and then it cuts them after they continue to use it in that state. Not that they are cut while taking the trim off.

That this is a relatively common problem is bad enough, but the fact that at least on the DSG, this cheap plastic trim piece is built-in to a $165 assembly with the shift boot and shift lever, is criminal :eek:

Yeah, that’s an issue then

ACE2

Ready to race!
Yea I called vwoa and my dealer when this happened to me....corporate basically sounded concerned at first and then later stated that it’s a user error as when placing stuff in there we are not careful pulling it out which causes the lifting issue and if your out of warranty then your kinda out of luck. I got very lucky as my dealer wouldn’t replace it at first and then I told them about calling Corp already. By saying this it made the Mgr come out and he basically said the same thing Corp told me (user error) BUT in good faith as I purchased the vehicle thru them he had it replaced a few days later after ordering the new assembly. I say just go into your dealership (NOT call) and talk to them and show them the pics of the cut. It’s a stretch but you never know if they will be nice about it all and help you out like they did for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cb1111

And please report it to NHTSA. It is a piss-poor design for which there is no excuse.

If anyone has had this denied by the dealership, then please report it to NHTSA and write a certified letter to VW including the report number (from NHTSA) and a copy of your invoice where you paid for the repair. Include photographs of the damage and any blood. Request reimbursement for the repair (and the BandAid:) )

The address for VW is in the back of your owner's manual.