GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

logo1

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Has anyone done this swap on a US market GTI with the 2015 version of the Driver's Assistance Package? As I understand, the DAP got some changes and additional sensors starting in 2016. Just wondering if I have any chance of the sensors still working...

Sorry to bump my own post here, but does anyone think this could work without errors? I'd be fine if I could just disable the senors and park assistance overlay.

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
Install new USB/Aux harness: You will have to remove the green connector from the large block connector, from front of connector there is a small keep that needs to be actuated and then connector will slide out. The Media In harness which is the yellow 4 pin connector and green connector is tied to the larger harness. Therefore, rather than remove I just put the new cable in, you can tie the old connectors to cable with tape so they will not rattle. The new harness is difficult to fish from the cubby to the infotainment. I removed the side panel and took a bicycle cable shroud, these work great for fishing cabling. If you don’t have one just go to your local bicycle ship and ask for one they have replaced. House wiring cable is also decent, a clothes hanger is likely not long enough. After removing side panel I started from there and went half way through dash, reached up and pulled down to cubby. Now I could tape USB/Aux yellow and green connectors to my shroud and fish up harness to infotainment unit. Green connector will slide into large connector.

This is (hopefully) the last part I'm not sure I get. Which side panel is the OP referring to? Anyone have pictures? And it sounds like the shroud cable was started in through the glove box (is this the side panel on the left of the glove box?), then guided through and pulled out of the cubby (where the usb socket will go). Then tape the cables and fish them in to the glove box. Am I anywhere near what's being communicated above?

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
How about retrofit with Navi?

I have a friend who'd like to do this, he has a 2015 SEL, and wants to keep Nav.

Has anyone done this with Nav? Looks like he'd need 3Q0035880 (headunit), and
5GM919605 (screen), correct? Amplifier must be the same as in all MIB2 Fender units, Nav or not.

Ridacx

I though ill share my experience with this retro fit. Everything is working great atm, have not ordered app-connect yet as i havent had a chance to go to the dealer yet but the new headunit is sooo much better. Not laggy at all and quite fast.

But ill share my part numbers as my headunit was 100% plug and play not adaptor harness and nothing else needed. only had to change the plastic around the connector for the screen (came with my screen so was just a unclip and put the blue connector on my car) Headunit its self was plug n play as well. Rear cam works as well as BT and nav.

My car came with a Panasonic unit: 5G0 035 846 A Made in Czech Republic
replaced with a Delphi unit: 3Q0 035 846 Made in Portugal

As for the screens car came it: 5G0 919 605 D Made in China
Replaced with: 3G0 919 605 D Made in Czech Republic

My car already had the USB aux plug in the little cubby so that didnt need to be changed.

All my components came from the same 2016 GTI wreck (my car is a dec 2014 MY15), Part numbers are a bit different to you guys (i guess there different frequency radios since im in Australia) or maybe is a different unit bc it had the connections ready for the usb and aux already? idk

But have to say awesome upgrade

hi lolmx

you did not have to code your mib2 after the replacement with vcds? navigation works again? I have the same serial number as you I will start the replacement I hope it will work,

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
This is (hopefully) the last part I'm not sure I get. Which side panel is the OP referring to? Anyone have pictures? And it sounds like the shroud cable was started in through the glove box (is this the side panel on the left of the glove box?), then guided through and pulled out of the cubby (where the usb socket will go). Then tape the cables and fish them in to the glove box. Am I anywhere near what's being communicated above?

2018-02-12 19.09.48 by VA Sprinks, on Flickr
like so. Spot the 3 cables that can be seen in the center of the photo running northeast- to southsouthwest. Back in there is an opening that will route the cable from back of infotainment unit to center console. Fish it through there.

aameghoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by aameghoo
George, could you go into a little more detail of what you did for this? The MIB2 fender amp is the biggest thing holding me back from doing the conversion right now. Ideally, it would be nice to not have to worry about sourcing a new amp and doing an after-market solution instead for even better sound.

As I understand, you can do some coding to have the speakers powered from the headunit instead of the fender amp. I made a diagram of what I imagined what you did, is that correct? If it is, 2 questions:
1. How did you connect the existing speaker wires coming out of the fender amp to the alpine amp? Did you just cut the wires at the fender amp connector then terminate them into the alpine amp or did you do something else?
2. Did you notice a decrease or increase in sound quality going from the “before” step to the “after” step without the DSP
Thanks!

When I did my MIB2 conversion I changed the amplifier. The MIB2 amplifier sounds better than the MIB1 amplifier. The improvement is not subtle.

Later, I decided to purchase new speakers and add DSP and amplifier. I made the software change to headunit, (info for doing here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29694) got a connector and ran wires to DSP under passenger seat, then more wires to the amplifier under driver’s seat. Power from battery with large inline fuse to amplifier. Ran all new speaker wires and replaced speakers. I did tie into existing wires before door connector and after door connector inside door. The front speakers have dual voice coils so two amplifier channels are used both 2 ohms so I guess you could wire in series and use one channel of amplification, but something to consider. Finding space for crossovers and mounting is also a challenge. I had at least 100 hours of labor into this project. Yes, it sounds great; however, the Fender system always sounds outstanding. It is a commitment and not sure if I can recommend.

Last weekend I got a dead battery. It was from the DSP getting triggered on from some noise (not sure) and then turning amp on. So right now I removed fuse going to unit until I can get it sorted. So right now I am not real happy, but it shouldn’t be too hard to fix.

I was able to sell my MIB1 amplifier which helped with cost of MIB2 amplifier. When I upgraded system I then sold the MIB2 amplifier, fender speakers, and subwoofer.

Lastly, without DSP with external subwoofer control you will lose your subwoofer control that you currently have in headunit.

On your second question, I noticed improvement, but the Focal speakers I put in had a lot to do with that. I first went without a DSP, but needed subwoofer control as I like to change dependent on type of music I am listening to. For DSP I have time delays dialed in which really helps with imaging. I have not done any attenuation at different frequencies, I will dial that in later, but I am pretty happy with the sound now.

Thanks for the detailed response, answered a lot of the questions I had. That must have been tough running all new speaker wires. I've been trying to figure out a way to make some kind of harness to connect my amps to the fender plug so I can use the existing speaker wire but also make it completely reversible if I ever decide to return the car to stock. I also think I'm going to go the route of an aftermarket headunit instead of the retrofit, specifically the Alpine i902D-G7

Ridacx

Hello everyone I need help I'm replacing my DM1 by a DM2 MIB2 I replace all the hardware I have activation of the component which is activated but I have a problem when I trigger the reverse the rear view camera does not appear on the screen nothing happens on the screen I code the camera with vcds but nothing happens is that normal? is it related to component protection? did anyone have the same problem? thanks in advance

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hello everyone I need help I'm replacing my DM1 by a DM2 MIB2 I replace all the hardware I have activation of the component which is activated but I have a problem when I trigger the reverse the rear view camera does not appear on the screen nothing happens on the screen I code the camera with vcds but nothing happens is that normal? is it related to component protection? did anyone have the same problem? thanks in advance

Have you coded the infotainment unit so it knows you have an RVC?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I swapped the amp in today. With the MIB1 headunit still in, I initially had sound coming out from all speakers (before I switched the ignition on, had just pressed the infotainment button). There was something different, it sounded better than before (crisper), or maybe it was all in my head (since the stock MIB1 brain was still running the show). Then, after I switched the ignition on, I only had sound on the driver's side. I suppose this means CP was activated on the amp. Am I correct? If so, I at least know the amp is in working order (looks almost new, but it's from a junkyard so you never know).

After I also swapped the MIB2 headunit in, I have no sound whatsoever. The CP message is on the screen and there's no sound (regardless of whether the ignition is on or off). Is this normal? I thought I read I should still get sound from the driver's side.

The USB harness still hasn't arrived in the mail. Looking forward to putting that in and doing the remote session with Jack.