GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why Small Turbo Engines Get Lousy Mileage

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not anymore of a derail than normal. I got OBD11 and used it to adjust my cars mpg readings. I was kinda surprised when you make the change it instantly changes it over all three modes. I did a bit of math and it seems the number for me is 5-6%. the OCD in me made me do it

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
not anymore of a derail than normal. I got OBD11 and used it to adjust my cars mpg readings. I was kinda surprised when you make the change it instantly changes it over all three modes. I did a bit of math and it seems the number for me is 5-6%. the OCD in me made me do it

consensus is they are out by 5-8%....mine was 7%...

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
When the top 3 best selling cars in the US are F150, silverado and ram 1500, 3 trucks that average around the 15mpg mark, I doubt the demand for oil will drop anytime soon

I learned to not care about mileage when I bought my 1970 Cadillac. It got 10 MPG no matter how I drove it. Pushing 5,300 pounds with 472 cubic inches with 375 HP.

Then in 1973 or 1974 the gas crisis hit. You youngsters don't know what you missed. I predict you'll find out though. Soon all cars will be hybrids and get such great mileage the demand for gasoline will drop precipitously. That will lead to decreased production and much higher prices. Next will be all electrics. No need for gas but there will be a shortage of electricity. A big push to build more generation plants will cause huge bill surcharges. Now the electric companies will have you by the balls. So now not only will you pay more to charge your cars your home electricity costs will "necessarily skyrocket".

Yeah, color me skeptical about this hybrid/electric push

Electric is 100yo technology that failed before and won't happen again as the fake news proclaims and as Tsi7 said, considering the big sellers, I'm not worried, plus we got more oil here than the middle East does

If anything, Diesel will be given another shot

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Until you see true infrastructure being built for electric vehicles we'll keep seeing gasoline powered ones.

All electric is still a niche category and there is still an extremely large vested interest in continuing the search for oil resources. Drill baby drill wasn't that long ago. There is still so much money to be made they'll spend 99 cents to get $1 out of the ground.

Gas isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This kind of shit happens at a glacial pace with all the push-pulling of interests involved.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I just drive...and get gas when needed. I don't think I've tried to maximize my MPG on any car I've owned. I think it would totally ruin driving for me:D.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I just drive...and get gas when needed. I don't think I've tried to maximize my MPG on any car I've owned. I think it would totally ruin driving for me:D.

Me neither. Mind you i rented a crappy dodge charger once, and it was so thirsty after beating the piss out of it, i was happy to hand it back.

I said to myself if i owned one of these, i'd be more conscientious on putting my foot down..

For my gti, just drive and smile !

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

Good way to be. I'm trying to be more like that....lol.

I just get really annoyed with all the posts about how some people are getting between 30 and 40 mpg driving in the city. It's not possible if you do the math correctly. A screen shot of the computer readout means nothing, really.

I guess I should become less annoyed. But it's one of the issues that irks me. The EPA rating is there and if you are consistently beating it by a wide margin then you are not computing it correctly and/or driving enough of a distance to get a true calculation.

To be really true, one should average over a month of driving, that would be way more accurate than a morning run to work.

The Tax Guy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Good way to be. I'm trying to be more like that....lol.

I just get really annoyed with all the posts about how some people are getting between 30 and 40 mpg driving in the city. It's not possible if you do the math correctly. A screen shot of the computer readout means nothing, really.

I guess I should become less annoyed. But it's one of the issues that irks me. The EPA rating is there and if you are consistently beating it by a wide margin then you are not computing it correctly and/or driving enough of a distance to get a true calculation.

To be really true, one should average over a month of driving, that would be way more accurate than a morning run to work.

Get where you are coming from, I feel the same way. Cannot see how anyone gets 30 mpg city or 40 mpg highway sustained . My car is still "breaking in" and should improve MPG wise, but so far I am averaging about 22-24 mpg with about 90% city driving.

The one tank where I had some actual highway driving for about an hour, my computer never showed more than 34 mpg. I don't trust the computer and I calculate by hand. On that tank with about 65% highway was only 27 mpg.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Yeah, color me skeptical about this hybrid/electric push

Electric is 100yo technology that failed before and won't happen again as the fake news proclaims and as Tsi7 said, considering the big sellers, I'm not worried, plus we got more oil here than the middle East does

If anything, Diesel will be given another shot

LoL @ Electric is 100yo technology, as if it is somehow primitive compared to ICE (which even older tech)

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Me neither. Mind you i rented a crappy dodge charger once, and it was so thirsty after beating the piss out of it, i was happy to hand it back.

I said to myself if i owned one of these, i'd be more conscientious on putting my foot down..

For my gti, just drive and smile !

I've got a 99 Suzuki Grand Vitara...and that thing gets crap gas mileage. I've been driving to the beach to ride as of late and its costing me $20 bucks per trip. I mainly use it when I go mountain biking or running errands locally with crappy parking. I don't baby the throttle on that thing either...because if I don't gas it...lol...I'm not going anywhere.

Intentionally driving to hit a certain MPG would literally drive me nuts. If I was trying to maximize my MPG...I'd get a Prius.

danall

Passed Driver's Ed
There are 3 modes in computer for calculating mileage. Instant, since start and since refuel. All should be quoting numbers from "since refuel" and even then those can be skewed if you just filled up and had a good stretch in the City. Try looking at that mode on an empty tank before fill up and still tell me you get 30+ mpg in a city while driving spiritedly. I don't believe it, because I've tried it.

Aargh...the gas mileage thread. There are different urban driving conditions and different driving habits. Just because you can't get 30mpg doesn't mean those who do are lying.
today i checked the computer, 205 miles since fillup, all urban driving, 28.8 mph average with 30.2 mpg average over those 205 miles...ALL urban.
Keep in mind my urban situation, i have a urban commute that involves 6 miles of "beltline" of 55 MPH. ALso another frequent stretch is 5 miles of 40 MPH with just a few stop lites. It all depends upon the actual urban routes and number of stops etc, but my weekly urban average is almost always over 30 mpg. Now as far as highway, no i don't think i've every averaged 40 but 36-38 seems about normal. Spirited rural driving, that's a whole nuther story.

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
+1

If you care about MPG's, put your big girl panties on and get a Prius

All the cars I look at are for fun and tuning potential