GOLFMKV

Why Small Turbo Engines Get Lousy Mileage

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

racerx20

Ready to race!
I did not buy a GTI to see how many MPG I could get. Other opinions may vary.

I suscribe to this thought, I drive the hell out of mine and I am still pleased with the amount of fuel it consumes.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
It doesn't matter what sort of engine it is, fuel economy has everything to do with how you drive. As an example, the two-hour freeway drive to the HPDE weekend in my old car (2011 Civic Si) consumed a little less than a half tank of fuel. 1 day's worth of track time (3-4 20-minute sessions) blasting around at 8000 RPM consumed another half a tank. Also not news: EPA mileage figures are almost impossible to achieve in real-world driving environments.

Not true

I've managed to beat EPA figures in every single car i've owned. The one car that I had which absolutely crushed EPA figures by miles was my MK4 golf tdi...

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
If you really get on it you can actually see the fuel needle going down...but you should probably be paying attention to the road at that speed.

Super easy to get 20 mpg out of this car or 40 mpg . I feel like we've discussed this before :p

lmao came to post the same thing..owned 4 of them all the same.

If I drive like my sister, I can go almost two weeks on a full tank..working 5 miles from home helps too.

If I drive it like its a rental a barely get a week.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I learned to not care about mileage when I bought my 1970 Cadillac. It got 10 MPG no matter how I drove it. Pushing 5,300 pounds with 472 cubic inches with 375 HP.

Then in 1973 or 1974 the gas crisis hit. You youngsters don't know what you missed. I predict you'll find out though. Soon all cars will be hybrids and get such great mileage the demand for gasoline will drop precipitously. That will lead to decreased production and much higher prices. Next will be all electrics. No need for gas but there will be a shortage of electricity. A big push to build more generation plants will cause huge bill surcharges. Now the electric companies will have you by the balls. So now not only will you pay more to charge your cars your home electricity costs will "necessarily skyrocket".

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
If you're not calculating mileage the old fashioned way using math over a full tank of gas and relying on the car's computer to indicate mileage then it's a waste.

I've never gotten more than 25 mpg in the City on a full tank of gas even when driving like a grandma in the city. Sure there are trips in city where the computer computes I'm getting 30,31,32 mpg even 36 mpg, but that's just at that point in time. If you average over a full tank of fuel while driving in the city I just don't believe people who state they get 30 mpg and over but still drive spiritedly.

I tried on one tank of fuel to drive ultra conservative (in the city), it drove me nuts and while I only made it about a week (1/2 tank of fuel) because it was so annoying and the best I managed was close to 28 mpg. No A/C, in the Summer............you guys getting 30+ in the City are not calculating properly, or you are driving even slower than I had to and that has to be excruciating.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
unless their definition of spiritedly is incorrect. I drive mine fast occasionally but not enough to adversely affect mpg over a tank

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I learned to not care about mileage when I bought my 1970 Cadillac. It got 10 MPG no matter how I drove it. Pushing 5,300 pounds with 472 cubic inches with 375 HP.

Then in 1973 or 1974 the gas crisis hit. You youngsters don't know what you missed. I predict you'll find out though. Soon all cars will be hybrids and get such great mileage the demand for gasoline will drop precipitously. That will lead to decreased production and much higher prices. Next will be all electrics. No need for gas but there will be a shortage of electricity. A big push to build more generation plants will cause huge bill surcharges. Now the electric companies will have you by the balls. So now not only will you pay more to charge your cars your home electricity costs will "necessarily skyrocket".

When the top 3 best selling cars in the US are F150, silverado and ram 1500, 3 trucks that average around the 15mpg mark, I doubt the demand for oil will drop anytime soon

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
unless their definition of spiritedly is incorrect. I drive mine fast occasionally but not enough to adversely affect mpg over a tank

Same here. I'll get 40mpg on a tank on my 1.8TSI doing mostly interstate, but I'll go WOT many times in a given trip. It's insignificant in its effect on mileage over a long period of travel where you're mostly doing a steady 75mph. So you CAN drive spiritedly and get good mileage.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Next will be all electrics. No need for gas but there will be a shortage of electricity. A big push to build more generation plants will cause huge bill surcharges. Now the electric companies will have you by the balls. So now not only will you pay more to charge your cars your home electricity costs will "necessarily skyrocket".

No electric company will have me by the balls. I'm net-zero with my rooftop solar array. In fact, I'm far better than net-zero. I overproduce electricity and sell it back to the utility. I need to find ways to consume MORE. As my household appliances need replacing (gas water heater, oven, etc) I am replacing with electric. I almost pulled the trigger on a Chevy Bolt, and I love the e-Golf (except it's sub-par range) but I'm just waiting for the battery technology to improve a bit more. Once a sub-$30k electric car comes out that can go 300 miles on a charge, I'm IN. My vacation home is 225 miles from my main home, and the Bolt's 220-ish range is just too short.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

Key word is over a tank. I had the air on yesterday and drove moderately spiritedly for approx. 10-15 miles in the City, I watched the gauge move and used about 1/8 tank of gas. The computer said I averaged 15.9 mpg over that period. Now this is on a full tank. I can increase that average over the tank full by not having the air on and driving conservatively for the rest of the tank and probably manage 25-26 mpg.

By the same token, there is a stretch in the City I drive about 12-15 miles where if traffic is light and I hit all green lights and maintain a steady 40 mph speed the computer will show an average of 36-37 mpg. As soon as traffic gets heavy or I get a heavy foot or it starts stop in go in the next 12-15 miles that average drops to 24-25 mpg.

There are 3 modes in computer for calculating mileage. Instant, since start and since refuel. All should be quoting numbers from "since refuel" and even then those can be skewed if you just filled up and had a good stretch in the City. Try looking at that mode on an empty tank before fill up and still tell me you get 30+ mpg in a city while driving spiritedly. I don't believe it, because I've tried it.

I'm speaking of inner city not rural city. I can go on the outskirts of the city where it's less congested and less traffic stops, etc and get a bit better mileage.

Last edited: