GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
^ yep lots of folks could probably help with an exhaust install. If you have any trouble finding people, talk to me. I do sidework for cheaper prices than shops. Unfortunately I'm a bit past the stage of doing work for beer and do charge for my time and equipment. Lifts, tools, diag software certainly isn't cheap.

earthquake_glue

Passed Driver's Ed
^ yep lots of folks could probably help with an exhaust install. If you have any trouble finding people, talk to me. I do sidework for cheaper prices than shops. Unfortunately I'm a bit past the stage of doing work for beer and do charge for my time and equipment. Lifts, tools, diag software certainly isn't cheap.

Happy to pay in more than beer if I get some experience out of it too.

No idea what kind or brand exhaust to go with. Looking at some from Borla and APR, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAS_STIG

Banned
Happy to pay in more than beer if I get some experience out of it too.

No idea what kind or brand exhaust to go with. Looking at some from Borla and APR, I think.

YouTube is your friend for sound clips.

CharlieTango

Passed Driver's Ed
Decide how much you want to spend and go from there. Theres at least a dozen catback manufacturers for this platform ranging from akropovipovic (sp) for like 2400 down to your basic pipes in the 500 range.

My opinion that you didnt ask for, the best sounding exhausts are from AWE and Remus. Both of which are pretty pricy (1300-1800) depending on tips and valved vs non valved. The good news is people sell them in used condition for a discount. Thats the route i took. Good luck

earthquake_glue

Passed Driver's Ed
Decide how much you want to spend and go from there. Theres at least a dozen catback manufacturers for this platform ranging from akropovipovic (sp) for like 2400 down to your basic pipes in the 500 range.

My opinion that you didnt ask for, the best sounding exhausts are from AWE and Remus. Both of which are pretty pricy (1300-1800) depending on tips and valved vs non valved. The good news is people sell them in used condition for a discount. Thats the route i took. Good luck

Appreciate the input. Budget wise I’m thinking 800-1000.

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
If you plan on going with an aftermarket downpipe in the future look for one with a resonator in the mid-pipe (AWE, Cobb, a couple others), if not just pick up the cheapest stainless that still uses a muffler and you'll get a bit more volume without going deaf or attracting police attention.

BigStogs

I thought DP was required for stage 2?

For the Cobb AP, they do not require a DP for Stage 2. It is a bit less power than the other OTS Maps due to this. They do however "require" a intercooler in order to lower IATs. I just daily my GTI (gets double the MPGs compared to my Saab ) and don't really make any hard pulls in it often enough to worry about heat soak right now.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Appreciate the input. Budget wise I’m thinking 800-1000.

Love my AWE track exhaust. Pretty excited just got a killer deal on a touring conversion if I ever pick up a downpipe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
That’s what I’m thinking. Track with stock DP. Did you do the install yourself?

Yeah that set up makes some nice noise.

This is the first exhaust I didn't do myself. The wife had it installed by my bro in law while I was out golfing. It was an epic fathers day gift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

VWBuyer

Hi,

Does anyone know a good mechanics shop west of chicago for a pre purchase inspection? I was recommended to take it to GRD Tuned but they can't look at it until late next week they said. Hoping to have it looked at in a few days.

Thanks!