GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spare key

mrpbailey

Hi all, first post in here.
We have a 2015 GTD which only came with 1 key. Are there any options other than main dealer for a spare?
Haven't yet contacted the local dealer but cant imagine it will be cheap. Has anybody had one recently?

Thanks

bertj

Ready to race!
Hi all, first post in here.
We have a 2015 GTD which only came with 1 key. Are there any options other than main dealer for a spare?

Not wanting to be a total pessimist but you really need to know what happened to the other key. Have you just bought the car? If not, the chances of someone using the missing key will probably have been reduced if you've had the car for some time.
A new key will be very expensive but not as expensive as having the car stolen! An even more expensive option would be to have the car re-coded with two new keys but at least you would have peace of mind.
AFAIK you can only get a replacement key from a VW dealer because of security considerations - probably about £200.

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Never done this with VW, but I don't see why not: in previous cars with only 1 key, I have bought a used key for the same model of car then got a new shell/ uncut blade and transferred the guts over from the old key to the new shell. I took this key to get physically cut from a locksmith to match the existing car key. And then got it reprogrammed by the dealers.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
As said you really need to know where the other key is as if with a dealer they should give you two and if private you may wake up with an empty space where the car used to be.

emz_98

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want to get a new key I believe Timpson does these as well, probably cheaper then VW but if your worried about other people getting into your car (If someone has the other key) then get it all changed by VW. Will be pricey and more time consuming but if you're worried then it will keep you at peace.

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
If its a Cat D or Auction car its normal for the second key to get sold on somewhere down the line for the purpose I mentioned earlier. So its unlikely someone will know which car it belongs to.

However if you bought it privately or even through dealers and its not been written off then I would be concerned about the whereabouts of the second key.

Mike.B

Took my GTD to Vertu VW Lincon last Thursday for a new second key as the spare was missing when I bought my Golf. It was at no cost to me but i asked how much it would have cost if I had to pay and they said a ballpark £150 / £200.

They had the car in the workshop for about half an hour and I think re programmed the car then my existing key and new key were programmed to match.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Took my GTD to Vertu VW Lincon last Thursday for a new second key as the spare was missing when I bought my Golf. It was at no cost to me but i asked how much it would have cost if I had to pay and they said a ballpark £150 / £200.

I had to buy mine and it was £223 :rolleyes:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Get a second key programmed at the dealer, and they will ensure your 2 keys will work, and any other keys are disabled

^^^ This is exactly correct. You only need to buy one key. In the US they cost about $300 for the key, cutting it, and the programming.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you want to get a new key I believe Timpson does these as well, probably cheaper then VW but if your worried about other people getting into your car (If someone has the other key) then get it all changed by VW. Will be pricey and more time consuming but if you're worried then it will keep you at peace.

In the US, ONLY a VW dealer can get you a new key fob and key. The key is cut at a central VW service depot, based on your VIN. They send it to the dealer for programming. And you need to prove you are you, and the car is yours before they will order you a new key, so if it's not in your name... I think they probably want to see the car first too. All to make sure you didn't steal the car or are trying to get a key made so you can steal it later or take it without the owner's permission. Kids or valets have been know to borrow a car, have a key made, then borrow or steal it when they're not around.

You might be able to buy a fob from eBay and have a new key made, but check with a VW dealer first. They might not do it, or program it unless you can prove you bought it from a VW dealer. And if the fob doesn't work, you could be out the money.

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
I think they probably want to see the car first too.

My dealer (USA) ordered the keys with just seeing the car's registration and my ID (you must be on registration obviously). The programming fee was the same no matter how many keys we ordered/had. Make sure to bring any and all keys (both new and old) with you when you get the keys programmed.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk