GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coin slot cover insert

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Tired of dirt and debris building up in those unused coin slots? This cover will block the unsightly coin slots while leaving your 12v power socket accessible.
-Designed to conform to the curved edges in the coin slot
-Snug but easy removal due to the 3 tab bottom
-Sand-able and paint-able

Price
-$22 w/ free shipping (continental US)

PM me for paypal address

Thank you everyone for the support and interest in the coin slot cover.
Special shout out to Readthebook for the initial thought.

20210718_130447.jpg

20210718_130428.jpg

Last edited:

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
I'd be interested in something like this with a blank cover like your picture. I'm thinking if it's relatively sturdy, I can put a magnetic phone mount on there so I can lay my phone there when using Android Auto and not have to take up space in the cubby behind the shifter or the cupholders. Do you have the approximate dimensions of the flat part?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I'd be interested in something like this with a blank cover like your picture. I'm thinking if it's relatively sturdy, I can put a magnetic phone mount on there so I can lay my phone there when using Android Auto and not have to take up space in the cubby behind the shifter or the cupholders. Do you have the approximate dimensions of the flat part?
Can't remember off the top of my head what I measured to make it but it is the same size as the gap it covers. The width was 88mm length might have been 20 something mm.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Can't remember off the top of my head what I measured to make it but it is the same size as the gap it covers. The width was 88mm length might have been 20 something mm.
Thanks, and no problem. Not really sure why I asked, to be honest, with the mount using adhesive and magnets, it doesn't need to be exact - I just need to place my phone there without the 12v socket cover in and see if it will work.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Hahah reviving my old idea I see. That thread had over 10k views! In short, yeah, I'm interested for sure, but I don't want to lose the 12v plug...

I wished I'd gotten on my friend with the 3d printer to actually finish the damn thing, but he went and continues to go through a lot of tough times so I'm not trying to put any pressure on him.

Edit: This was my old thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27689&highlight=cover

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I like the idea, as I hate those slots, but on the other hand I like my 12V outlet. Why not make a cover that curves around the outlet ring? You could design it such that it pops into the slots. That way there would be no tendency to rotate. If you design it to just pop into the outlet, the slight recessed edges that its shape follows won't be able to prevent it from rotating.

Would you be using a 3D CADD app to design it? If not, I'd be happy to come up with a design, and could probably get them manufactured as 3D prints for a few bucks each for a batch of 50 (this is what I do for a living). But I don't want to step on your toes, either...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I'm thinking if it's relatively sturdy, I can put a magnetic phone mount on there so I can lay my phone there when using Android Auto and not have to take up space in the cubby behind the shifter or the cupholders.

If this doesn't work out, you could do what Sabo (and myself as a result of seeing his build thread) did and mount a small magnetic mount over the airbag light. It should be noted that you need to put the mount as "low" over the light as possible so that you have the correct angle to not hit the dash. Basically place it as low as you can w/o covering the hazard light button.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=350139#post350139

The mount we have used is https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Alum...31155497&sr=8-4&keywords=satechi+magnet+mount

I bring this up because getting that plate to stick in place and not move in a way that would also allow you to mount a phone to it and be able to easily remove/install the phone from whatever mount you have, could be quite tricky unless you plan to use something permanent to adhere it.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
One with a GTi logo would be pretty sick. I used to work as a graphic designer so if you need a design let me know.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
My phone definitely doesn't fit there - I wasn't taking the handbrake lever into account when I pictured it my head...

May still be interested in it with a logo, though.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

I think I'd be interested in something like this with a cutout for the 12v plug. I do use the 12v socket from time to time. With a plate covering the entire area looks like something is missing. I don't mind covering up the the coin slots since its a space for crap to collect in there. The texture of the cover would have to match pretty close...or else it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I echo the sentiments of most people in this thread. Count me in for a cover that still allows use of the 12V plug.