GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TWO Blown turbo's with less than 13k miles!

Jamie007

Ready to race!
I can't believe it! Blew my second turbo in less than one year, on my 2017 Sport with less than 13k miles. I posted when my first turbo blew last year, car was barely two months old. It was APR stage 1 when it happened. I was told my turbo must have been a "lemon..." Brought it back to stock, got my warranty reinstated (so they said), and after a few months got a JB4. I thought the JB4 was safe, but not even 6 months later, and maybe 7k miles, I blew another turbo! I was using MAP 2, and it's not like I beat on the car or anything. I've been on a road trip for a week, and was just cruising when the EPC light came on. It's at the stealership now, and they are waiting for approval from VW to fix it. I'm stranded 1000 miles from home, and it will be at least a week before they can get me back on the road. I am beside myself...:mad: I know the car was modded, but I can't believe how fragile these turbo's are!?... I guess no more JB4 for me... :confused:

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
What was the situation when your first turbo blew? You never drive the car hard is what you're saying? Never?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Not sure why its happening this frequently especially on a 2017.

I posted when my first turbo blew last year, car was barely two months old. It was APR stage 1 when it happened. I was told my turbo must have been a "lemon..." Brought it back to stock, got my warranty reinstated (so they said), and after a few months got a JB4.

Warranty cant be instigated by the dealer. If someone said so, they are wrong.

Last edited:

Jamie007

Ready to race!
What was the situation when your first turbo blew? You never drive the car hard is what you're saying? Never?

First time was just cruising at 45 mph, then a big cloud of white smoke. Yes, of course I've driven it hard, passing people on the highway, short bursts of speed, but not like I'm beating on it. No auto-crossing, or drag racing or anything. Drove it no harder than any other car I've owned, including three stage II WRX's, that never even hiccup'd, and that was in the harsh Nevada desert. I'm just so disappointed this car can't handle mods, this is my first VW, and probably my last.

Jamie007

Ready to race!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
VW re-instated it... I'll find out for sure tomorrow, when they send my case to VW, for approval to order the new turbo.

Did your dealer give any physical document from VW (other than their word) to confirm that statement.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Blowing one turbo sucks but it happens and is random. Blowing two turbos means user error is involved. Something either went wrong in the original repair, or you are boosting and hitting redline with cold oil. Since I assume you aren't silly, sounds more like something wasn't quite right with the repair and it just took a bit to be come catastrophic. A bolt backed out or cracked causing something to fail (just an example). I guess it could be possible that they just happened to have an old revision turbo laying around and installed that (hopefully super doubtful, but you never know).

Jamie007

Ready to race!
Blowing one turbo sucks but it happens and is random. Blowing two turbos means user error is involved. Something either went wrong in the original repair, or you are boosting and hitting redline with cold oil. Since I assume you aren't silly, sounds more like something wasn't quite right with the repair and it just took a bit to be come catastrophic. A bolt backed out or cracked causing something to fail (just an example). I guess it could be possible that they just happened to have an old revision turbo laying around and installed that (hopefully super doubtful, but you never know).

So the first time was a catastrophic failure, car was undriveable. This time, I just lost boost, and I was able to actually drive it to the dealership. I could just hear a whistling, maybe a bad wastegate or something. I am careful not to boost when the oil is cold.

As far as the warranty goes, I was told by the dealership, that VW corporate put a note in the system to cover me, even though my car is TD1. They said even if it's another blown turbo, I'm covered. Now I get to put that to the test...;) I'll post tomorrow when I know for sure.

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
Damn, I hope everything works out!

On a side note, I had been discussing with the wife modification plans for this car. I was very adamant about only touching suspension and handling first. With little to no engine/tuning what so ever. This makes me think I'm doing the right thing.

But it's my understanding it's completely random, these turbos exploding. I hope once you get this one replaced, and get rid of the tune, it'll be bulletproof again!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Damn, I hope everything works out!

On a side note, I had been discussing with the wife modification plans for this car. I was very adamant about only touching suspension and handling first. With little to no engine/tuning what so ever. This makes me think I'm doing the right thing.

But it's my understanding it's completely random, these turbos exploding. I hope once you get this one replaced, and get rid of the tune, it'll be bulletproof again!

With a 6MT I'd be doing tires, rear sway bar, mounts all around, a JB4, and putting some pennies away every pay check for a clutch.