GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Introducing myself! Turbo reliability questions...

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Hello, I'm new here and new to VW.

Came over from the Japanese platform. My first car was a 2001 Acura Integra LS 5spd. I drove that car for 10 years and about 130k miles(I LOVED THAT CAR). It would have about 250k original miles on it right now if was smart and didn't sell it :( I bought a 2010 Lexus IS250(big mistake) and then bought a 2006 Acura RSX-S. Loved the RSX-S(especially the motor) but having a coupe became difficult. Last week I put myself in a 2018 Pure White GTI SE 6spd w/ leather.

I have 200 miles on the GTI right now. So far I am really enjoying the car. I like many things about it!

So, Ive been reading on these forums regarding turbo failures on 2015 models and it has been making me a little nervous. I have a 2018 but has VW address the turbo issues for 2016 model onwards? Has anyone had turbo issues on their 2016-2018 GTI's?

Already looking forward to doing some light modification and wrenching on this car!

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I hope not but so far so good. Looks like we have the same car!

Last edited:

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Short answer is yes, VW has corrected the issue. You will still see issues popup here and there, but that is a downside of mass production.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Welcome.

Issue was sorted even with later 2015 vehicles so you dont have to worry about your turbo.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
2016 Gti april 2016 build date. No turbo issues here. :).

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Congrats and Welcome!

As stated, the turbos have been revised. Obviously things can happen though. But don't worry about it and drive the car, that's what warranties are for.

I'm with you on the Japanese background. My first car was a 1994 Integra ls (sold at 240k), second was a 1995 Integra GSR (sold at 140k), third was a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 4wd 5sp 90k (regret selling that the most).

And it's funny you mention an Is250, as that's the exact car that my girly friend drives. Did you have a bad experience with yours? Her's is at 200k+ and gets around just fine.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

REDRUM_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Blew my is20 TWICE on a stage 2 Eurodyne tune, but I do have a 15’. Going is38 very soon here. Best of luck!

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Congrats and Welcome!

As stated, the turbos have been revised. Obviously things can happen though. But don't worry about it and drive the car, that's what warranties are for.

I'm with you on the Japanese background. My first car was a 1994 Integra ls (sold at 240k), second was a 1995 Integra GSR (sold at 140k), third was a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 4wd 5sp 90k (regret selling that the most).

And it's funny you mention an Is250, as that's the exact car that my girly friend drives. Did you have a bad experience with yours? Her's is at 200k+ and gets around just fine.

The is250 mechanically was great but it was auto, boring to drive, underpowered and uncomfortable for me(im 6ft and the cockpit was narrow)

This is great news the the turbos are more reliable. Im planning to keep this car for a very long time. Hope the turbos will go 150k+ miles. Is that realistic?

cb1111

The is250 mechanically was great but it was auto, boring to drive, underpowered and uncomfortable for me(im 6ft and the cockpit was narrow)

This is great news the the turbos are more reliable. Im planning to keep this car for a very long time. Hope the turbos will go 150k+ miles. Is that realistic?

Welcome. With no mods and following the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, 150k miles is a breeze.