Trim these bumps or no?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Where to trim if so?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
For your 1”drop I would trim one nub off.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I trimmed mine when I installed my Emmotion springs. You already lose travel, I usually always trim them a bit. No issues.. Over a year and over the winter.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I trimmed mine when I installed my Emmotion springs. You already lose travel, I usually always trim them a bit. No issues.. Over a year and over the winter.

Left just the bottom like pic above?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, I usually cut in half. You wouldn't think it would help with the ride but I Def noticed it.

I'll take the dust boot off, re-install the shock, set the rotor down on a wooden ramp to load it, then take a picture. That should give everyone a good idea of how much travel is left before I cut mine. I assume weight loading the rotor on a stack of 2x10s is fine.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I'll take the dust boot off, re-install the shock, set the rotor down on a wooden ramp to load it, then take a picture. That should give everyone a good idea of how much travel is left before I cut mine. I assume weight loading the rotor on a stack of 2x10s is fine.
It's when it decompresses and compresses (bounds/rebounds) is when it takes the biggest hit. Not with vehicle weight. I've never really heard mine bottom out over big pot holes. The stiffer springs help with it too.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
If you haven't done so, most vehicles you can pull the dust cover down and use a razor and trim them when the car is jacked up and theres enough space between the coils to do so.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
It's when it decompresses and compresses (bounds/rebounds) is when it takes the biggest hit. Not with vehicle weight. I've never really heard mine bottom out over big pot holes. The stiffer springs help with it too.

Sure but this was just to illustrate travel length available with vehicle weight and full length bumps.

If you haven't done so, most vehicles you can pull the dust cover down and use a razor and trim them when the car is jacked up and theres enough space between the coils to do so.

Good tip, but the rears need to be adjusted softer anyways so they are coming back out. I doubt I will trim the front.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Does trimming let the shock stroke deeper and does this impact shock life?
I know not trimming may cause early bottoming out.
Thought question.

If you don’t trim them you might be hitting the bump stops which is no bueno.

Left just the bottom like pic above?

Trim the smaller nub towards the travel.

Back in the day there was always an Audi bump stop that you could sub out tat was shorter. Don’t know if anyone has found one to pair with our cars yet.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Does trimming let the shock stroke deeper and does this impact shock life?
I know not trimming may cause early bottoming out.
Thought question.

A bump stop is basically a secondary spring and is used to control the end of travel behavior. Distance from end of tube, Contour and material describe engagement and progressive rate. Bump stops have a free length and a block height.

With the same shock length “end of tube - center of lower fastener” if you trim a bump stop your shock will stroke deeper because you changed the block height. Does that impact your shocks life? It depends on the brand. Your car is using definitely more compression travel!

In terms of adjustable Koni’s it might not be the best idea to shorten the bump stops because you might hit the adjustment feature while driving over bigger bumps.

I understand why guys like to trim bump stops. In the OE world many manufacturers I worked with have a distance between end of tube and bump stop of ~15mm. If you lower your vehicle now by 25mm you are already riding on the bump stops. With the progressive rate of these bump stops it feels to bumpy.

What is the solution if you want to lower your car? If you don’t like the ride and the shock supplier doesn’t recommend or provides a different bump stop try to find a shorter one that has at least a similar block height / block force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk