Bay Area Drive / Car Work

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

josh_

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey!

This sounds cool. I was curious if there was a group meet as I recently moved from Truckee back to the Bay (28 years!). I miss the car scene, so I hope this comes to fruition. Being in the East Bay, a North Bay or closer (San Rafael?) meet would be great for me.

Cheers!

josh

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hey!

This sounds cool. I was curious if there was a group meet as I recently moved from Truckee back to the Bay (28 years!). I miss the car scene, so I hope this comes to fruition. Being in the East Bay, a North Bay or closer (San Rafael?) meet would be great for me.

Cheers!

josh

Awesome, I'm just a few exits south of San Rafael and so is my shop. I will put something together once I get my car back.

Possibly a meet up the weekend of the 19th would be a good idea if people have interest. It would be like an official meet where as going to the drags on the 16th would be a who ever can make it during a work day kind of thing.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I'd absolutely be down for a meet on the weekend. I'm hoping to make it to the drag strip but my schedule is all over the place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Got my car back, so I'm gonna try to take off some time from work on Wednesday to make it to the drags to watch MeltedSolid get that WR as well as drag my stock power GTI (It would be awesome to run against him or my coworker with the CLK55, who managed to find this thread and identify me, that was embarrassing :p ). This will be my first official 1/4 mile. I'll probably just use LC in manual mode or S and see what I get. The only thing I know is to avoid the water tank because there is no reason to heat up street tires. It doesn't get you additional grip, on street tires.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I was wondering what I should do about the water pit. In the past I have gone back and forth with doing a burnout and not, and haven't seen any difference in my 60' times. I now have better tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), so I don't know if it will be worth it to at least get them a little warm before the pass. Anyone with a lot more personal experience with this specific thing? I know the Australians would balk at the idea of not doing a burnout no matter your tires.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I'll see anyone who's going to Wednesday night drags tomorrow! I'm going to try to arrive right at 3:30. I'm the black 2 door missing the passenger and rear seats and likely missing a catback. Hopefully they don't make me put it back on for sound regulation... I normally go in the stick shift class, but I'll probably go in the sport street class this time so I can race against any other mk7.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
What’s up guys! I’m in the East bay (Danville) and would love to meet up with some other GTI enthusiasts.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Wrath, you don't by a chance think that a clutch swap would be out of the realm of possibility for local weekend work, do you? I'm gonna be getting a new clutch real soon... :(

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Wrath, you don't by a chance think that a clutch swap would be out of the realm of possibility for local weekend work, do you? I'm gonna be getting a new clutch real soon... :(

With two guys I don't think it would be too hard. There are some tricks to make pulling the trans really easy assuming they still work on the car. I'll have to check it out today when I have the car in the air looking at something else for another member. I have the factory engine crossbar and and a universal trans jack, although when I did a MK6 DSG me and a coworker just lifted it out and in by hand. Good time for a fluid change as well, helps lighten the trans :D

Sorry I didn't get to make it out to the strip. It was supposed to be my day off, but I managed to find 9 hours of work that just swamped me, but its money in the bank. My cowoker made it up though.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, it's definitely brake fluid flush time as well. Alright, sounds good! I'll send you a message when I have my new clutch, those tools sound like they will be invaluable.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yea, it's definitely brake fluid flush time as well. Alright, sounds good! I'll send you a message when I have my new clutch, those tools sound like they will be invaluable.

Cool cool. We should probably be able to get it done in a day. I suck at re-aligning the transmission to get it reinstalled, but I get better with each clutch job, and having a second person always makes it go smoother.

Might I recommend the DKM stage 3 twin disc? For true power as well as DD-ability, twin discs are the best clutches to run. Hold the most power as well as retains nearly stock pedal feel. There's a whole thread about it.

The shop also has flywheel holders, presses / pullers for bearings, and a good digital torque wrench that does angles and all that good stuff. So as long as we can find all the torque specs, hahaha, we are golden.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Unfortunately I don't think there are any DKM clutches or twin disk clutches for my transmission. I think only haus of dub, SouthBend, and Spec make clutches for my transmission, and my plan is to go with the SouthBend Stage 2 Endurance.

OaklandGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Oakland guy here checking in. :)
But then again you guys probably knew that from my screen name.

Depending upon the day/time, a meet up sounds fun.

BTW, I'm a photographer in case anyone might want a shot of their rides.