GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

CharlieTango

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have a soldering gun or experience with wire work? Ive got an awe switchpath remote system that plugs into the exhaust valves and one of the wires is broken very close to the plug. It cant be pulled from the terminal so i want to solder it to the remaining wire

Downshift1

Hey all.

Yes I’ve been running the Cobb AP for about 10 months with MAPerformance’s 93 OCT Stage 1 V1.0 tune and absolutely love it. Completely my daily driver. No knocking whatsoever. I have not gone to Ian‘s 2.0 tune based on some of the marginal reviews and how seemingly great version 1 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimFell

Ready to race!
Hey all.

Yes I’ve been running the Cobb AP for about 10 months with MAPerformance’s 93 OCT Stage 1 V1.0 tune and absolutely love it. Completely my daily driver. No knocking whatsoever. I have not gone to Ian‘s 2.0 tune based on some of the marginal reviews and how seemingly great version 1 is.

Any reason you chose it over APR? Do you have APR parts on the car like intake?

Thanks!

Downshift1

Any reason you chose it over APR? Do you have APR parts on the car like intake?

Thanks!

It really depends on personal preference. I was literally torn between Unitronic and COBB.

Side note - I liked Uni vs. APR as I prefer a tune that’s weighted towards top end power vs mid range torque. However I found a dealer that is tune friendly and offered APR so I almost went with APR for convenience & warranty.

APR has a proven tune. It’s very hands off. You take your car in, they flash your ECU, and you’re good to go. Great performance, great reliability. APR is great if you want to follow their modification schedule and use their hardware.

COBB’s Access Port has a few OTS tunes that have somewhat mixed reviews and they make less power than APR.

So why do I like COBB? You have the freedom of pro-tuning to your specific hardware in the future. You also have the features of the Access Port which gives you up to six custom gauges on the screen to monitor boost, AFR, IAT, knock, and a ton of other parameters. If you buy the AP from MAPerformance, you get their OTS tunes for fee. I’m running their Stage 1 93 oct which reportedly put down over 300 hp on the dyno. Ian from MAP is very responsive and will help you with your goals too, so it’s nice knowing you have support if you run into any issues.

My long term plans for this car are a full turbo swap and over 450 whp so the AP will allow me to custom tune (dyno or email) in the future while still giving me a great Stage 1 / Stage 2 option in the present.

I’ve also had to take her in for some warranty work and recalls so I can uninstall the COBB and take her in without having to pay a dealer to reflash every time. I’ve heard the APR stock reflash isn’t true stock- it’s a stock-like map. The COBB AP memorizes your vehicles factory ECU software when you install it so when you uninstall the unit, it reloads your exact factory map.

Hope this helps. I’m super happy with the COBB tho.

I have no other aftermarket engine hardware at the moment. IE IC is my next upgrade.

Lopedawg1

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have a set of 18” take offs? Wheels and tires please. I’d love to get a set of GLI Bathurst wheels, let me know what you have.

Thanks in advance