GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil leaking on spark plugs

Joviemk7

Ready to race!
Im at about 47k miles and i just changed my spark plugs and i noticed a bunch of oil on the threads of cyl 1 and 4. I looked into all cylinders and theres no visible oil in either however I think the oil might have came from the top it appears to start by the valve cover gasket?? but anyway it looks like it leaked down from there and Im not sure what to do right now

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Your engine doesn’t have a valve cover. It’s a cylinder head cover that incorperates the top bearings for the camshaft. Also, the gasket is made by using RTV.

I had oil on one of my spark plugs as well and decided to clean it off and recheck at next oil change. Now that I hear you exhibiting this and seeing that YouTube video, I’m wondering if this will be another common problem with these cars. Granted yours is the 1.8L, but still same design for the cylinder head cover if I’m not mistaking. My car only has 18,000miles on it.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

SRoads

Ready to race!
10 bucks says they tell you some extra sealant left over from initial assembly and send you on way. The sealant they use stays liquid and is a reddish color and can look like oil at first glance, you don't want to use RTV...

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
That or buy a tube of RTV (something like Permatex Ultra Black) and get to work pulling that cam cover.

If you go this route make sure you get at least the Erwin VW manuals and know what you are getting yourself into. There is a lot connected to the cam cover and you need to release tension on the timing chain.

Like I mentioned above, the cam cover has integral bearings for the cam. Also make use a torque wrench and torque the bolts in the recommended pattern. This is something that a very capable DIYer can do, but the caveat is to not treat it like it's just a valve cover.

Edit: I just looked in the Erwin engine manual again and saw that they reference it as the Cylinder Head Cover.

Last edited:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
10 bucks says they tell you some extra sealant left over from initial assembly and send you on way. The sealant they use stays liquid and is a reddish color and can look like oil at first glance, you don't want to use RTV...

What's wrong with high temp RTV? Just curious. I see VW sells their branded sealant, but the only description I see for it is "sealant".

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It's sealant. On two of my plugs and these are engine at 28k miles.

[/url]

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

Joviemk7

Ready to race!
I’m pretty sure it’s oil one of the plugs have that light gold color like fresh oil

Also isn’t the sealant for the top red anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk