GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah I don't really have a lot of drone (at least that I can tell), but I wouldn't mind a deeper tone. I jumped on the catted/resonated MAPerformance downpipe group buy. The 17930 is longer though, so I'm thinking of giving it a shot where the oem resonator is now. I know there's no "extra" benefit to the two resonators, but leaving the one in the downpipe can't hurt, right?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t think it’ll hurt, probably only weighs a few lbs and it’s straight through

ashiun

Ready to race!
So to sum it up:

Any aftermarket dp + stock GTI CBE = sounds good for 50% of people

Any aftermarket dp + stock GTI CSS CBE = raspy and drone to 99% of people

Any aftermarket dp + 18" 17930 or 17950 + any muffler = good for 99% of people

Brilliant. Just what I was searching for.

Btw just did a quick video inside comparing closed vs open.

https://youtu.be/ip-WrgUFZyg

Outside no load revs. Will have to make one of the kids freeze in the dark for outside drivebys.

https://youtu.be/wV9kH9H1va0

Wow. I'm impressed. What a difference.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Can vibrant res be done diy with clamps removing oem res or is this a must weld exhaust shop mod? obvs have to buy a pipe cutter. tx.
They are different lengths (4 inches I think?) so the vibrant would almost need to have a short section of pipe welded to it in order to take up the same length as the oem.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Ahh, for some reason I thought Vibrant was longer. Thanks.

The stock res body is 25", and IIRC you have about 31" of total pipe+body to play with between the hanger and midpipe clamp. My Magneflow install cost $60 and took the muffler shop maybe 30 mins.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
They are different lengths (4 inches I think?) so the vibrant would almost need to have a short section of pipe welded to it in order to take up the same length as the oem.

It will look something like this. This is a shorter Timbre resonator.

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
I did two rear muffler swaps. One was a JCW rear on a friend's mini cooper S and another on a clubsport rear section for a mk7 gti. Mark and wrap the area with painters tape and use a sawzall. Have some fresh metal blades available. I got some straight cuts as if it was done on a professional bench mitter saw, straight and neat.

Debur the pipes and then use the clamps and it should be a nice, tight, leakfree seal.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

ashiun

Ready to race!
Regrettably I must say that I am part of the minority and it is both better and worse. Just shifted the points at where it drones, and now the drone is less "car-shaking rattly" and more "boomy bassy slight headache".

Seems to drone less under heavier throttle, more under light throttle.

Edit for clarity: This is after adding the Vibrant resonator. I'm just more sensitive to boomy bassy drone.

Edit 2: I was wrong. Exhaust shop welded in a 1793, not 17930. 1793 didn't do the job, 17930 did the job perfectly.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Regrettably I must say that I am part of the minority and it is both better and worse. Just shifted the points at where it drones, and now the drone is less "car-shaking rattly" and more "boomy bassy slight headache".

Seems to drone less under heavier throttle, more under light throttle.

If that catback of yours has no resonator you absolutely should add one in.

ashiun

Ready to race!
If that catback of yours has no resonator you absolutely should add one in.

The results I just mentioned are AFTER adding the vibrant resonator. It seems that I'm more sensitive to boomy, bassy drone than other types.

ashiun

Ready to race!
What muffler are you running with it?

Flowmaster Super 10. I'm thinking of reverting to stock muffler but I'm getting the feeling it's just going to be even more bassy, somehow lol. Seems like every modification I make, it gets bassier. I wonder if there's any option to get rid of the bass, even if it's raspier. I'm so sensitive to bass that I wear open-can headphones with relatively "weak" bass signature (Sennheiser HD598), my friends tell me it sounds anemic, I say it sounds neutral. :D

How does the boomy bass not bother anyone else? :confused::confused: Someone just posted a video on the facebook group of his setup and says it's not too bad, but the only thing I can think is "god damn that's bassier than mine, even".

Actually, upon further review, the drone isn't so bad accelerating. Above 4k it even sounds quite good. But the deceleration is absolutely KILLER. I don't know how I'm ever going to track with my eardrums rupturing everytime I'm decel from 5k.

Edit 2: I was wrong. Exhaust shop welded in a 1793, not 17930. 1793 didn't do the job, 17930 did the job perfectly.

Last edited: