GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Barry's setup is proven for a long time, but Eric's setup (for the ebay parts, and uncertainty of used is38) is only initial stage which is not proven over time yet. doesn't mean it is bad, but it just needs more time to be verified.

That too. Patience to wait out the players and mods. In the end, more money to spend elsewhere.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, couldn't hear you over the clanging of my gold coins as I swam through them.

I would not swim it even if I had a lot of them because money is dirty (literally...full of germs and more) lol:D

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It's like rooting for the other sports team to fail, because you've invested so much into your team, your well-being literally rests upon the outcome of a game. You'll pick and prod at any little thing, and even cheer (if only in silence) if the opposing team's star player gets injured.

As others have said, this was never about a "eBay vs. Big Brand XYZ". Any mention of that has been in jest. It is excitement over an affordable, decently built product that brings us closer to our personal definition of driving nirvana. The initial logs look promising, and for $254 shipped, I don't mind busting out the file and playing a little Tetris to get things to fit.

I just want good data, apples / apples so people can make informed decisions.

It's not an ego thing for me.

Anyone putting one of these Chinacoolers on an IS38 car?

Happy to figure out a procedure to do equivalent logs so people can see the smallest name brand IC (Uni) vs the Magic.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
Honestly, these logs are certainly much better than stock - but they don't compare to the "expensive" intercoolers. At 70 degrees ambient, the other intercoolers almost get down to within 3 or 4 degrees of ambient, then climb to about 10 over during a longer pull. Your logs are very short, and let off at 5500 rpm but still never get within 10 degrees of ambient temps (60).

for comparison - APR log at 73 degrees ambient - https://datazap.me/u/fjames/log-1487806422?log=1&data=6-10-12&trim=8&tmin=4.00&tmax=4.50

So while these look like nice inexpensive options, I really can't see them compared to an IE or APR. There is a difference it appears.

Isn't your log only 15 seconds long?

Agreed. But, from a value proposition so far it cannot be beat. The 700-800 dollar one is not a X times better performer to the dollars spent. Even if we all agree that a 3-5 or even 5-10 degrees lower iats the ($800 IC) is not going to make a bit of difference on a street car for 98% of us. I personally do not flog my car on 100 degree plus dayz.

Agreed. this IC is still going to pull IATs down significantly on these cars, and the cooling that is left on the table for the DD GTI owner will not be missed and I think would be hard to detect in a butt dyno situation and probably not that significant on a real dyno. if the top IC makers are claiming support for 600hp plus setups, even if this supports 450hp, I will never come close to that with my car anyway.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion

Happy to figure out a procedure to do equivalent logs so people can see the smallest name brand IC (Uni) vs the Magic.

Love Hoon. He’s a baller. You could swing $300 to do a comparison?? :).

MadMen

Ready to race!

Exactly. For me, I've been following this to see if it truly is an option for me. My needs can certainly be different than others though. I'm looking for an IC that can withstand multiple back to back hard runs over a minute or so during each run (Autocross). Fighting IAT temps on each subsequent run at the AutoX is my biggest problem.

This is very different than someone looking for a good choice for running the 1/4 mile, and those 2 are both different than the guy running the road course.

And of course, there's Ricky Bobby out on the streets, which this is a perfect solution for already.

MadMen

Ready to race!
Isn't your log only 15 seconds long?

That's not my log. Just one I found during research. But it's a 4th gear log up to near redline. The logs posted above are 3rd gear, letting off at 5500. Not complaining, just feel like I'm waiting for a good ending to my sitcom, but it gets cancelled before they can film the finale.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
That's not my log. Just one I found during research. But it's a 4th gear log up to near redline. The logs posted above are 3rd gear, letting off at 5500. Not complaining, just feel like I'm waiting for a good ending to my sitcom, but it gets cancelled before they can film the finale.

lol. true.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
If you own a ebay intercooler you are officially a EBay Mafia member. Closed group with many privileges from the money you saved ie $500 bones...

What would you buy with 5 free hundo’s?
Me? That is two night stay in Vegas!
You? ;).