GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

MadMen

Ready to race!
Lots of little lessons learned for me, not the least of which is to buy more power tools.

I did get out and do some pulls and it performed great--which is a big consolation after the stress of getting it installed.

Here's the first pull @60f ambient, after driving like a grandma while the oil heated up:
https://datazap.me/u/twocans/log-1520834767?log=1&data=1-4-6&solo=4

I am curious--does anyone have an answer why IATs creep up while cruising?

Anyways, the next couple of pulls went better--IATs dropped to 10-12 above ambient and stayed there (ambient still @60f):
https://datazap.me/u/twocans/log-1520834767?log=0&data=1-4-6&solo=4
https://datazap.me/u/twocans/log-1520834767?log=2&data=1-4-6&solo=4

For comparison, here's my run with the stock IC at the drag strip @70f ambient, where IATs eventually climb to 64 degrees above:
https://datazap.me/u/twocans/january-import-face?log=0&data=1-4-6&solo=4

Definitely excited to see how it performs at the next test and tune.

Honestly, these logs are certainly much better than stock - but they don't compare to the "expensive" intercoolers. At 70 degrees ambient, the other intercoolers almost get down to within 3 or 4 degrees of ambient, then climb to about 10 over during a longer pull. Your logs are very short, and let off at 5500 rpm but still never get within 10 degrees of ambient temps (60).

for comparison - APR log at 73 degrees ambient - https://datazap.me/u/fjames/log-1487806422?log=1&data=6-10-12&trim=8&tmin=4.00&tmax=4.50

So while these look like nice inexpensive options, I really can't see them compared to an IE or APR. There is a difference it appears.

drrck

Go Kart Champion

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Honestly, these logs are certainly much better than stock - but they don't compare to the "expensive" intercoolers.

So while these look like nice inexpensive options, I really can't see them compared to an IE or APR. There is a difference it appears.

Valid point, but I don't think anyone is arguing that they are as good as the top name brand coolers. What I think everyone is arguing is 'good enough per value'.

If a knockoff Chinese cooler (godspeed v2) can hold up to 600whp on a mk6 tsi, this will do fine for a 1/3 the price compared to the aforementioned name brands. Use the $600 saved and throw it towards a meth setup and actually get sub ambient temps.

I ran a knockoff cooler on my mkv, and with a 5858 and 30psi, it cooled fine. Granted I was supplementing with meth, but it held with my 500~whp setup great.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Omg. Complaining about a $300 IC that keeps iats around 11-12 degrees over ambient at wot consistently even in 80 degree temps?? That is pretty fucking good. Show me stock IC log that does that? That is better than some of brand name stuff! Look up cts stock location and Uni logs. 20-25 degrees over. I think Hoon’s recent log went to 61 degrees from a 38 degree ambient...?

nate704

Go Kart Champion
$500 Geo Metro does exactly the same thing that $38.1M 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO does, which moves people and goods from point A to B.

personal preference and value. so get what you want.

MadMen

Ready to race!
No one is "complaining", just making an observation. For the record, I do believe these are as good as a Uni. I think APR and IE are on different levels (which of course includes price level).

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Omg. Complaining about a $300 IC that keeps iats around 11-12 degrees over ambient at wot consistently even in 80 degree temps?? That is pretty fucking good. Show me stock IC log that does that? That is better than some of brand name stuff! Look up cts stock location and Uni logs. 20-25 degrees over. I think Hoon’s recent log went to 61 degrees from a 38 degree ambient...?

lol I have to agree.

People need to remember this is a 300$ IC made in China. The fact that it works and keeps temps relatively lower than the OEM unit is awesome.

TwoCans

I had the same problem on the driver’s side clearance. The yellow clip wouldn’t snap in securely. Added 4hrs. If the IC fit the first time, I could do this in 3 hrs.
Notes:
1. Order the spare yellow clips; they are the same as the OEM form factor.
2. Take images and place blue painters tape on the bumper at the edges of the headlights for future alignment of bumper and sanity check. You won’t have to ask yourself “did it look that way before?”.
3. When you get to the crash bar, scribe around all 6 bolts for reinstallation.
4. New IC hardware uses four cap/buttonhead M5x10mm (.8) on the top-AC side, whereas the blind holes are 10mm in depth. The upper washers will be #10. I made brackets from ½” x 1/16” thick aluminum stock. Bracket length 45mm with 35mm hole spacing. If making brackets and using #10 washers, use M5x12mm. On the bottom, use two M6x10mm (1.0) cap screws.
5. You may need to file bottom slots for the radiator to have some clearance from the IC.
6. I had to file (front side) where the plastic clips from the radiator fit into the IC. A little material from the front makes it snap right in.
7. The magic IC does not have slots on the bottom of the side pegs, before transfer/installation of yellow clips, file the lower tab off from inside the yellow clip. There is still a groove/ tab at the top.
8. The Chinese yellow clips are not ultrasonically welded on both sides at the rubber-plastic interface. It actually allows more side-to-side play which may be good for installation purposes.
9. The passenger side yellow clip snapped right in; the drivers side had clearance issues and would not go in. It may be the long support peg mentioned by others. I eventually made it clip on one tab, but broke the other. As a bailout, the yellow clip has a hole on the front that is perfect for tapping to M6 and the frame has a natural through-hole. I put a M6x15mm in there for security and it tightened everything up.
10. A larger IC takes more space and moves the radiator closer to the engine. To get a ¼” more clearance between the two, bring the bottom of the IC frame forward ¼” on the crash bar mounting bolts (bottom 2 of 4 that face to the sides of car). Leave the top two in the original scribed position.
11. Check your hood latch alignment on the hood if it’s a little sticky.

Spot on for all of this, I might still post a few pictures of these but this is everything I wanted to say about what was a bit janky on the install process.

Of course the major red flag one was 5mm too much aluminum on the driver's side mounting peg. #2 was I wished I ordered a couple of the mounting clips from ebay along with the intercooler--I broke one in figuring the problem with the driver's side peg out and it was $50 locally, but $4 shipped from ebay... (5Q0121367E, parts shop made it sound like there's supposed to be a D part on the driver's side, but I had 2 E's on the stock IC).

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
The IE definitely doesn't get within 3 of ambient on a warm engine. Maybe if I started it cold on a cold day and went WOT down my street like my idiot neighbor. Also doesn't rise 10 degrees either but a lot of variables impact that.

49F ambient

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-1520647033?log=0&data=1-4-6-19

Magic IC looks good to me.

Agreed. But, from a value proposition so far it cannot be beat. The 700-800 dollar one is not a X times better performer to the dollars spent. Even if we all agree that a 3-5 or even 5-10 degrees lower iats the ($800 IC) is not going to make a bit of difference on a street car for 98% of us. I personally do not flog my car on 100 degree plus dayz.

parallax

Ready to race!
Honestly, these logs are certainly much better than stock - but they don't compare to the "expensive" intercoolers. At 70 degrees ambient, the other intercoolers almost get down to within 3 or 4 degrees of ambient, then climb to about 10 over during a longer pull. Your logs are very short, and let off at 5500 rpm but still never get within 10 degrees of ambient temps (60).

for comparison - APR log at 73 degrees ambient - https://datazap.me/u/fjames/log-1487806422?log=1&data=6-10-12&trim=8&tmin=4.00&tmax=4.50

It's like rooting for the other sports team to fail, because you've invested so much into your team, your well-being literally rests upon the outcome of a game. You'll pick and prod at any little thing, and even cheer (if only in silence) if the opposing team's star player gets injured.

As others have said, this was never about a "eBay vs. Big Brand XYZ". Any mention of that has been in jest. It is excitement over an affordable, decently built product that brings us closer to our personal definition of driving nirvana. The initial logs look promising, and for $254 shipped, I don't mind busting out the file and playing a little Tetris to get things to fit.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
It is ultimately all about the value proposition people. On most car forums we all measure are manhood by how fast our cars are. I would guess 99.9% of us (driving a vw) are not independently wealthy. I’m pretty sure by now we have shown the ebay dp’s and IC are a very viable option. Data backs that up.

Let’s take two people we will call Barry and Eric. And for the sake of argument they both have exactly $3000 to spend on mods. The GTI’s are same make, model, options, and even color. Barry really wants the APR stickers on his car so he goes APR only for all his mods. Three grand later Barry has (4 large stickers) a cast dp, intercooler, and bench flash tuning for his ride. Eric has purchased some ebay parts, a few other add on’s, cobb AP w/ custom tune, and a used is38 with his money. Which car is faster? Looks like Eric’s dong is going to take the win... :).

nate704

Go Kart Champion
It is ultimately all about the value proposition people. On most car forums we all measure are manhood by how fast our cars are. I would guess 99.9% of us (driving a vw) are not independently wealthy. I’m pretty sure by now we have shown the ebay dp’s and IC are a very viable option. Data backs that up.

Let’s take two people we will call Barry and Eric. And for the sake of argument they both have exactly $3000 to spend on mods. The GTI’s are same make, model, options, and even color. Barry really wants the APR stickers on his car so he goes APR only for all his mods. Three grand later Barry has (4 large stickers) a cast dp, intercooler, and bench flash tuning for his ride. Eric has purchased some ebay parts, cobb AP w/ custom tune, and a used is38 with his money. Which car is faster? Looks like Eric’s dong is going to take the win... :).

Barry's setup is proven for a long time, but Eric's setup (for the ebay parts, and uncertainty of used is38) is only initial stage which is not proven over time yet. doesn't mean it is bad, but it just needs more time to be verified.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sorry, couldn't hear you over the clanging of my gold coins as I swam through them.