GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review of Ed's MK7 Headlight replicas

Jota Mendes

Passed Driver's Ed
What about the auto-leveling system? Can i change the Xenon bulb for the halogen bulb, so i can pass on inspection...
My car doesn't have washers or auto-leveling system.
And what about warranty? Am i going to lose it because of using not OEM parts?

Last edited:

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
What about the auto-leveling system? Can i change the Xenon bulb for the halogen bulb, so i can pass on inspection...
My car doesn't have washers or auto-leveling system.
And what about warranty? Am i going to lose it because of using not OEM parts?

You can swap in regular H7 halogen bulbs. For warranty, check with your dealer, it depends. Some dealers actually sell after market parts such as these lights or similar, but others dont.

In the past, I have sold headlights and other parts to VW dealerships, and people who work at them.

James75

Go Kart Champion
I personally think if you have some kind of Xenon bulb and you choose not to have self levelling - that's dangerous and I think a problem. Auto levelling is there for a reason and choosing not to fit it, just have xenon like lights I personally think is a bit selfish. Sorry to sound like I am having a pop, i just think safety on the road is important. Being blinded by lights is not much fun.

I am not aware of any UK dealer that would sell you these lights, in the UK at least without auto levelling and headlight washers you are breaking the law.

James

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
I personally think if you have some kind of Xenon bulb and you choose not to have self levelling - that's dangerous and I think a problem. Auto levelling is there for a reason and choosing not to fit it, just have xenon like lights I personally think is a bit selfish. Sorry to sound like I am having a pop, i just think safety on the road is important. Being blinded by lights is not much fun.

I am not aware of any UK dealer that would sell you these lights, in the UK at least without auto levelling and headlight washers you are breaking the law.

James

As I said, it depends on the dealer, and where you live....for example in Canada, we have no government mandated vehicle inspections. Aim the lights properly, and you will be fine.

Jota Mendes

Passed Driver's Ed
@James75:
I understand your point, but i think the big problem is not using Xenon without Auto-Leveling system, thoose cars don't blind me, in my opinion if a Xenon Projector is used, is ok.
The true problem is people using Xenon Bulbs without any kind of projector.
Just my opinion. :)

@edward:
Just answer me two more questions, i heard by a friend that on that "replica" headlights, the high beam is weak, compared with OEM headlights. Is that true?
Are they Bi-Xenon?
I think i am going to order one of thoose pairs of Golf R Headlights. :D
Btw, it will be nice if you post some photos with the lights (high beam, etc.) turned on at Night.

Last edited:

k20power

I'm about to order a set today or tomorrow of the GTI ones. My only question is... Has anyone had any issues with fogging on the inside of the headlights? I know with aftermarket headlights that tends to be a common issue. If so, is there a solution or preventative measure prior to installation to prevent it?

yyzGTI

I'm about to order a set today or tomorrow of the GTI ones. My only question is... Has anyone had any issues with fogging on the inside of the headlights? I know with aftermarket headlights that tends to be a common issue. If so, is there a solution or preventative measure prior to installation to prevent it?
I'm curious about that as well. The last time I got an aftermarket plug n play projector headlight (for an '03 Bmw x5) there was a lot of fogging and condensation within the housing (shipped from Taiwan [emoji29]). I'm hoping that the seal on these replicas are better bc I'm 90% sure I'll be ordering a pair soon.

mk7norway

Ready to race!
Witch ballast do I need to buy for the Golf R headlights?

and do i need to buy a HDI kit? if so, how much is it?

Can anyone make a list for what we need to buy besides the headlights?

veew

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't recommend ordering the WPlamp headlights. 60% of the headlights sent to Australia in a recent group buy, on VWWatercooled, had problems. Mark at WPlamps is a nightmare to deal with, denies the headlights have problems and states that it is us who doesn't know how to set them up. The headlights are advertised as plug and play but it isn't if you have a dodgy headlight.

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't recommend ordering the WPlamp headlights. 60% of the headlights sent to Australia in a recent group buy, on VWWatercooled, had problems. Mark at WPlamps is a nightmare to deal with, denies the headlights have problems and states that it is us who doesn't know how to set them up. The headlights are advertised as plug and play but it isn't if you have a dodgy headlight.

Neither do I, I made that clear in my add actually, even before you guys went ahead and bought lights from them. The GTI headlights are made by a company with a pretty bad reputation for QC.

The proudcts I am selling are made by a manufacturer with a proven track record with products sold and tested in North America for over 18 months.

In future, I hope you keep your comments to any posts about their products, not mine.

mk7norway

Ready to race!
ED ! please answer! :)

and do
i need to buy a HID kit? if so, how much is it?

Jota Mendes

Passed Driver's Ed
I am waiting a answer too. I want to buy one pair, but I need to know the things I asked before.
Thanks anyway Ed. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
ED ! please answer! :)

and do
i need to buy a HID kit? if so, how much is it?

Hi - You can use regular H7 bulbs or any HID kit with D2H or H7 HID bulbs. You an also use D2S HID bulbs however, the means enlarging the hole in the rear cover to run the bulb holder.