GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
I'll definitely post up my findings and results. My rough calculations so far say i may need a 32" length.

I'm gonna try with a spectrum analyzer app, with the car fully warmed up and a decent amount of engine load on a uphill slope at highway speeds.

I may not get around to doing this until around February time but i will post what I've learned and results regardless of whether or not it was successful.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ok ... so before I pull the trigger on a vibrant, just wanted to ask one last question. The exhaust place has said get the 3” one as it will be easier to install now rather than reducing again to 2.5, what sort of noise can I expect? I know that’s a tough question, but I’d rather it went back towards stock than sound anything like it does now!

With a stock DP and stock CSS muffler it'll sound almost identical to stock, believe me you won't be disappointed

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
There's a constant flow of questions around here revolving around achieving desired sound. With the volume of PMs I've been getting and similar threads started on a daily basis I figured I'd take a few minutes to explain the basics here. This is non biased towards any one set up, brand, or budget. Just a what you'll need guide to help you choose from our growing list of options for these cars. So here we go.

First things first. DRONE. Nobody wants it, here's how to avoid it.

The stock downpipe is the only major restriction in any mk7 exhaust 1.8T/GTI/R. If you leave it in place the stock resonator is sufficient for eliminating drone (buzzing, unpleasant vibrations felt through the chassis of the car...can cause headaches and fatigue and is overall tiring after any amount of time) regardless of what you choose to do with the cat back.

If you upgrade to an aftermarket downpipe drone is going to be an issue without a proper resonator. After tons of research and personal experience the ONLY resonators I'll suggest are long case length/high volume designs. This DOES NOT INCLUDE THE Vibrant UQ or Ultra Quite. It's short case and overall small size (volume as in sq in inside) is not sufficient to stop our engine from droning w/o the restrictive stock DP. This problem also includes the stock resonator so count it out as well. The third set up that flat out won't work is adding multiple resonators...You only need one resonator, having multiple inadequate ones doesn't multiply their effectiveness.

I highly suggest Vibrant 17930 where the stock one was (regardless of what catback you have stock or not if you have 2.5" tubing. The equivalent model for 3" cat backs in Vibrant 17950. Of course their are several cat backs that already include a good/proper sized resonator in that location (AWE, APR, CTS) as an option but the Vibrant units can be added to any catback lacking a res.

Cat back / axle back The resonator controls frequency and the muffler controls volume, so now that you've got a frequency that's drone free you're down to adjusting volume. Regardless of cat/catless resonator/non resonated the muffler controls volume (sometimes adjustable if you're cat back is valved like the factory Golf R. You'll want a straight through design to keep it high flow, then select the size based on how much you want to turn the volume down vs not having a muffler at all. Plenty of options mild to wild, as well as OEM+

what are the dimension of the center resonator suitcase? The Vibrant 17930 fits there perfectly or too short/long?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, i've just done a res delete on my GTi Clubsport. regret it. it sounds great under hard acceleration and on overrun, but on partial throttle sounds like a supra with a cherry bomb. I was after a reasonable priced mod to gain a little more note and volume and not sound like something from F&F...
any suggestions? would putting in a sport res remove the bellow, or am I better putting it back and waiting for a catted DP?

Why not just throw the stock resonator back on with the new DP? If its still too quiet for you after the install, add a clubsport S muffler and call it a day.

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with a clubsport too much. Not that its some exotic untouchable but the thing is pretty special imo and I could see it holding its value MUCH better than a GTI or R. May be a car VW guys seek down the road with the current push for electric/hybrid cars from manufacturers, especially if the next gen GTI is some hybrid bullshit. Wouldn't bet on it but also wouldn't be surprised if the clubsport becomes desirable as the best and last VW petrol hot hatch...who knows.

Keep all the stock parts unmolested for when its time to sell, hacked up exhausts and aftermarket crap may scare off a potential buyer. Not sure how long you plan to keep it but just my $.02.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
what are the dimension of the center resonator suitcase? The Vibrant 17930 fits there perfectly or too short/long?

The stock resonator is longer so you'll also need some 2.5" tubing for the installation

Stock is 22" & 17930 is 18", but you'll wanna have a decent size piece to work with for a clean install with minimal welds.

For example, use a new piece of tubing from the beginning of the catback (oem clamp) to the resonator so there's only one weld.
That way you've only got one weld on each end of your new resonator, and maybe one to reattach the hanger that's originally on the stock resonator (or close to it, can't remember exactly)

Why not just throw the stock resonator back on with the new DP? If its still too quiet for you after the install, add a clubsport S muffler and call it a day.

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with a clubsport too much. Not that its some exotic untouchable but the thing is pretty special imo and I could see it holding its value MUCH better than a GTI or R. May be a car VW guys seek down the road with the current push for electric/hybrid cars from manufacturers, especially if the next gen GTI is some hybrid bullshit. Wouldn't bet on it but also wouldn't be surprised if the clubsport becomes desirable as the best and last VW petrol hot hatch...who knows.

Keep all the stock parts unmolested for when its time to sell, hacked up exhausts and aftermarket crap may scare off a potential buyer. Not sure how long you plan to keep it but just my $.02.

Well it's already too late to leave it stock, and it'll 100% sure sound terrible if he does a downpipe with the stock resonator and clubsport muffler. Can anyone say drone box?

Last edited:

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Well it's already too late to leave it stock, and it'll 100% sure sound terrible if he does a downpipe with the stock resonator and clubsport muffler. Can anyone say drone box?

Really? It would drone bad with a DP, CSS muffler, and OEM resonator?

The CSS muffler/stock DP is quieter (or at least the same) than an AWE track/stock DP, right? The OEM resonator lets say makes it equally quiet as the 1750 would. So it would be no louder than an AWE touring exhaust with a DP.

The vibrant is a nice piece for someone like me who has a 3" DP/CB and needs a resonator that can easily be welded in. In his case, with 2.5" piping all around, is it needed considering he can just have them weld the OEM resonator back on? Seems like an unnecessary purchase.

The problem is the exhaust place replaced the stock res with 3” pipe so I’d have to hack that out, weld in some 2.5” and then the weld the stock resonator as well, that seems like it might be a little ugly. I went with the 3” bottle res so that it should just be two welds each end for that.

The CS is a great car, the problem is inside the car you cannot hear there exhaust, and crackles and overrun is really only heard outside. With the res delete I can hear all of those which is great, unfortunately the rest of the time it sounds horrible

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

The CSS muffler/stock DP is quieter (or at least the same) than an AWE track/stock DP, right? The OEM resonator lets say makes it equally quiet as the 1750 would. So it would be no louder than an AWE touring exhaust with a DP.

The vibrant is a nice piece for someone like me who has a 3" DP/CB and needs a resonator that can easily be welded in. In his case, with 2.5" piping all around, is it needed considering he can just have them weld the OEM resonator back on? Seems like an unnecessary purchase.

This is all incorrect. The 17930 is the version of the Vibrant resonator for stock 2.5" tubing. The stock dp is so restrictive it can keep about anything from droning

Any car with an aftermarket dp OTHER than the normal gti cat back will drone terrible. Even then the subjective nature of NVH and sound has the stock gti CBE + dp at about 50/50 chance if the drone will bother you.

The CSS muffler being louder pretty much guarantees the stock resonator won't knock down drone with an aftermarket dp. It'll sound like a straight piped Honda

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Jake, would there be a large sound difference between a UQ and a 12” bottle?

There is a beat large no name res on my dp now I want to replace. It’s wider than a bottle but not a uq. But it’s real quiet on the freeway with stock res. I know you have your thoughts on that but I don’t want to change something I’m happy with.

Last edited:

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
This is all incorrect. The 17930 is the version of the Vibrant resonator for stock 2.5" tubing. The stock dp is so restrictive it can keep about anything from droning

Any car with an aftermarket dp OTHER than the normal gti cat back will drone terrible. Even then the subjective nature of NVH and sound has the stock gti CBE + dp at about 50/50 chance if the drone will bother you.

The CSS muffler being louder pretty much guarantees the stock resonator won't knock down drone with an aftermarket dp. It'll sound like a straight piped Honda

Ok, didn't know the exact vibrant part number but you get what I meant. My question is why would a vibrant resonator be recommended in his case over just having the stock one welded back on? What benefit would the bring vibrant over stock considering how massive the stock one is?

In my case, my piping went from 2.5" to 3" so grabbing the 3" vibrant makes sense. In his case, not so much as he has an effective resonator laying around that is made for a 2.5" exhaust.

Also, if the CSS muffler + DP + resonator is gonna sound like ass, wouldn't that logic imply that an AWE track CB + resonator + DP would sound like ass as well? Yet my understanding was the vibrant solves the drone problem presented by the AWE track + DP alone :confused: Both the CSS and AWE example have resonators, upgraded mufflers, and a DP. Unless the claim is that the AWE muffler is much quieter than the CSS which is why it won't drone with a DP + resonator, which I would disagree with based on what I've heard (CSS muffler sounds the same or maybe even a tad quieter to me).

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake, would there be a large sound difference between a UQ and a 12” bottle?

There is a beat large no name res on my dp now I want to replace. It’s wider than a bottle but not a uq. But it’s real quiet on the freeway with stock res. I know you have your thoughts on that but I don’t want to change something I’m happy with.

I doubt it would sound any different, the stock cat back is good enough by its self for about 50% of people

If you're running two resonators and a stock gti CBE and you're happy with it just keep it as is. Now if you ever want it louder and want a different muffler or whole new catback you'd definitely wanna upgrade to an 18" resonator then. At that point ditching the 12" resonator would make sense

Ok, didn't know the exact vibrant part number but you get what I meant. My question is why would a vibrant resonator be recommended in his case over just having the stock one welded back on? What benefit would the bring vibrant over stock considering how massive the stock one is?

In my case, my piping went from 2.5" to 3" so grabbing the 3" vibrant makes sense. In his case, not so much as he has an effective resonator laying around that is made for a 2.5" exhaust.

Also, if the CSS muffler + DP + resonator is gonna sound like ass, wouldn't that logic imply that an AWE track CB + resonator + DP would sound like ass as well? Yet my understanding was the vibrant solves the drone problem presented by the AWE track + DP alone :confused: Both the CSS and AWE example have resonators, upgraded mufflers, and a DP. Unless the claim is that the AWE muffler is much quieter than the CSS which is why it won't drone with a DP + resonator, which I would disagree with based on what I've heard (CSS muffler sounds the same or maybe even a tad quieter to me).

The dude with the clubsport had his resonator removed and fromwhat I gathered is hoping the shop still has it laying around. He's not happy with the drone he has now with the stock dp, and plans to get an aftermarket dp. So rather than spend money going back to stock he might as well upgrade to prepare for his future dp install.

I'm assuming you mean Vibrant resonator when you say "CSS muffler + DP + resonator is gonna sound like ass"? That's not the case, not what was trying to say. If he ran a aftermarket downpipe with the stock CSS catback (stock res + CSS) it would drone and sound like ass, much much worse than he's got now with the stock dp + no resonator at all + CSS muffler.

When you said the "awe track + resonator + DP" I'd have to assume again you're talking about a added Vibrant resonator, which again it wouldn't sound bad at all, infact it would sound really good, exactly like an AWE touring TBE because that's essentially what it would be. The AWE Track doesn't have a resonator at all.

You're correct in that he CSS muffler is quiter than the AWE track, I agree with that from everything I've seen/heard.

So to sum it up:

Any aftermarket dp + stock GTI CBE = sounds good for 50% of people

Any aftermarket dp + stock GTI CSS CBE = raspy and drone to 99% of people

Any aftermarket dp + 18" 17930 or 17950 + any muffler = good for 99% of people

Ik the way I explained this is probably really dry and probably sounds like I have an attitude but this shit gets confusing via text lol, seriously just trying to help and be as clear as I can. The AWE Touring exhaust is really good, adding a 18" Vibrant to pretty much any other exhaust is gonna get you the same sound. That's of course gonna vary slightly between mufflers but you don't need to spend $2000 for the perfect mix of great sound and performance. I'm here to help everyone who want that get there, on the first try!

Last edited:

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Just saw the Rev'n Step video on the muffler delete. Excellent work, Jake! The sound of that is on par with expensive high flow muffler setups.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Again, ANY muffler louder than stock GTI paired with the stock resonator will drone, including the CSS.

The shop that deleted his resonator filled that void with 3", so he also has 3" same as you. It's not unnecessary at all because he's buying a downpipe

Also, they make a 2.5 & 3" version of the Vibrant 18" resonator

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just saw the Rev'n Step video on the muffler delete. Excellent work, Jake! The sound of that is on par with expensive high flow muffler setups.

Thanks mam I appreciate it! Just saw the video myself ha

Here's the link https://youtu.be/PUPUfBnWHGg

I just wanted a way to be able to post it online so he wasn't really pitching the setup, but it's bolt on exactly like the CSS muffler and fully reverseable! No welding, oem fitment, all 304L stainless steel 3" mandrel bent construction

share pics online