GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Pack LSD Service?

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Massive pic, sorry guise on the phone and not sure how to resize them without a comp. Hopefully you're using tapatalk lol

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I know some guys who have never had lsd service. The reason vw doesn't push is because the service is literally a huge cost leech to them. It's not in their business to push lsd service as a lot of owners won't notice it's lack of running 100% and probably is top 5% in terms of a maintenance item cost.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I remember when FWD differentials shared fluids. Does a GTI without the LSD?

And how exactly does the LSD in a GTI work? If it takes Haldex fluid does that mean it actually has clutch packs like a real LSD, like a GM RWD vehicle? I'm assuming GM still uses traditional Posi-traction, but I could be wrong, because if you're familiar with them they used to require from 40-70 lb. ft. of torque just to initially turn the wheels. Not exactly conducive to high MPG.

There was a thread somewhere on here when I upset a few people by posting up the correct mechanical facts about it & correcting the marketing BS about it...

I have the VW workshop manuals for it..

Borg Warner make it & call it FXD..."Front cross differential"

VW in the workshop manuals call it "Front differential lock"

VW in the technical self study guides call it "Electrohydraulic front differential lock".

Please note that at NO time is it referred to as a "limited slip differential"...because in mechanical terms it is not...& the term has existed for decades & specifically means a device with one input shaft & two output shafts...with a "limited slip" device in-between..

The FXD has only one input shaft & output shaft...& is a unit consisting of a pump, piston, electronics unit & clutch packs....& it talks to & relies upon the existing brake based XDS systems

The unit fits between the exiting open type diff case & the driveshaft on your passenger side (drivers in UK).

& yes it is very much like the RWD haldex units...has its own fluid etc...so same long term problems...

& any shop thinking that it shares the same fluid as the gearbox knows very little about these cars.....in simple terms is a haldex unit strapped to one driveshaft...have they never serviced a haldex unit???

& yes every 3yrs....regardless of mileage an oil change...570ml + or -30ml

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Strange. Here's mine

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

This works fine.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I know some guys who have never had lsd service. The reason vw doesn't push is because the service is literally a huge cost leech to them. It's not in their business to push lsd service as a lot of owners won't notice it's lack of running 100% and probably is top 5% in terms of a maintenance item cost.

Ok, I'll buy most owners not noticing if it doesn't work, but the service cost thing makes no sense.

How is less than 1L of fluid which cost me $33 to buy, so it probably costs a stealership $15, and 10 minutes of a techs time possibly a notable expense?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes it is.....From the brochure.....

That's because the marketing men create BS & dumb down to sell it to joe public....as it is easier to sell it as an LSD than an "Electrohydraulic front differential lock" which is the correct technical description...

That's why there so much heated discussions...the VW mechanical side describe it correctly & so do the makers.....

Just the market BS men get hold of & FUBAR things...like many things in this day in age...

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
A) marketing people don't really write owners manuals. B) it works like a limited slip diff, but you say it can't be called one.

I call BS.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
A) marketing people don't really write owners manuals. B) it works like a limited slip diff, but you say it can't be called one.

I call BS.

Here we go again...

The term LSD (limited slip differential) has been around for decades (circa 1950's)...& way before any fancy clutch pack electrohydraulic stuff..

Therefore the definition has actually been defined for decades in mechanical terminology & dictionaries...

& is thus usually described as a device having one input shaft & two output shafts with the "limited slip" part in-between...

Why the GTI PP FXD is not an LSD:-
1. Only one input shaft & one output shaft
2. Is fitted AFTER the existing "open differential", therefore if it was an LSD you would not have the existing open diff, as an LSD replaces the open diff.
3. Is electrically based, & heavily reliant on the ABS unit & sensors, ESC units & sensors. Get a failure in the electronics board or one of these units & bye bye FXD! An LSD does not rely on electronics or other systems, no fuse to be pulled on it.
4. The mechanical documentation I referred to previously DOES NOT call it an LSD, they call it by its correct mechanical terminology "Front diff lock, Electrohydraulic front diff lock".

Why you might class it as an LSD & therefore what other systems you must state are LSD also
1. marketing to basically sell anything which can stop one wheel spinning more than the other on the same axle...
2. So that includes EDL (electronic diff lock) & the aforementioned XDS, as that is what these systems do.
3. Wiki lists every type under "limited slip differential"..including the brake based systems mentioned above.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential

Basically in simple terms the FXD is fitted to the driveshaft on the passenger side (USA) after the existing diff & all it does is "lock up" to varying degrees the driveshaft on that side causing the existing open diff between the FXD unit & the gearbox to "lock up". This is why it is correctly called a "front diff lock" in the mechanical papers I mentioned...& NOT an LSD which operates in a different way as it is a self contained unit fitting between the gearbox & the two driveshafts....& contains a "limited slip device"

If you want to carry on stating you have an LSD in your GTI PP, then so do I with my XDS system..in fact my 14yr old VAG car (built 2000) had an LSD then as it had EDL which comes under the brake based LSD systems on wiki...:p

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Someone posted this video a while back in a different thread I think, but it's relevant to this thread since it explains both how the diff works and the service interval with a picture from the VW service manual for the car.
https://youtu.be/LiUJLN5_le0

Also, did someone seriously spend the time typing all that up just to argue that "limiting slip" and "varying lock" are different? True, the FXD isn't technically an LSD, but it preforms a similar function with broader capabilities. It's also not an open diff, which doesn't lock, or a traditional locking diff, which doesn't have a limited slip function. It does all three things. Let people call it an LSD and move on.

armedferret

Ready to race!
maybe we should call it an "increased traction electronical thingamajig" and move on with life? :D

Surely there's larger problems we need to tackle rather than arguing about semantics? I mean, some jerk is using THE C WORD in another thread!!! ZOMG!! :D

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
maybe we should call it an "increased traction electronical thingamajig" and move on with life? :D

Surely there's larger problems we need to tackle rather than arguing about semantics? I mean, some jerk is using THE C WORD in another thread!!! ZOMG!! :D

I was going to suggest "electronically controlled, hydraulically actuated, clutch assisted variable locking differential", or ECHACAVLD for short. Sure it's cumbersome, but think of the technical accuracy!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Also, did someone seriously spend the time typing all that up just to argue that "limiting slip" and "varying lock" are different? .

NOPE....

.....someone spent time posting up the correct mechanical terminology as used by the engineers at VW & Borg Warner & the actual technical differences,

the above being different to the marketing BS.

Oh and correct technical information is relevant on this forum,....

..anyway masses of threads on here are dedicated to far less important/mechanically relevant & far more stupid stuff...

If you want to bury your head in the sand...fine, but the mechanical engineers & racers/rally lot I know would laugh their heads off if you said to them "I got an LSD as part of the "PP" for my GTI.....:D...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Call it what the manufactures call it ..."Front diff lock"...........which is also a shortened version of what is in the tech manuals

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Bottom line forum members, is thanks for bringing this up.
I checked my manual on page 50 and is does state service at 3 years.
No mention of miles.
So I will plan on my 50,000 service in about 5,000 which will fall close to 3 years.
I will need to show dealer the page so they can prepare for work if not known by mechanics.

If anyone works on before, please make a DIY post with pics on fill and drain locations, oil and amount would be good for others.

What ever it is, I have one and will maintain it.

Thanks.