GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
It’s too bad it’s not more active in here. Forums in general seem to be losing a lot of traffic to Facebook groups, yet still have better information than Facebook. The MK7 FB group is a constant stream of “will xxx/xx/xx tires fit with 18x10.5 et-35 rimz?”, “Got a cracks and pop tune” and other frequently asked questions.

The chicago mk6 group is still fairly active. Also my group has a meet every thursday near lombard, you aren't terribly far from that. Should stop by and hang out some time.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
I’ve lurked mk6 chi chat ever since I had my MK6. I work evenings mon-Friday so I’ve never been able to make one of those Thursday get togethers. Temporarily moving out to Galesburg in a week and a half for my old job so outlook not good then either lol.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
Are there any local shops that can do a BT that are reasonable? I just don't have the time to get to the car. Looks pretty straight forward so I don't see labor being super high.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I know Komet will put an IS38 on a GTI so I don’t know why they wouldn’t put a BT on an R.

I emailed them earlier today actually. Is Kurt still there?

I thought you bought an RS3?

Well that was the plan until the dealer started playing games with pricing after we agreed on a price. I went to give them my deposit and then all of a sudden I get the "Manager now says we can't discount it....blah blah blah". So that's fine, I will just take my business elsewhere.

Same thing happened with the R. Dealers though they had gold on the lot and didn't want to deal. Took some calling around and a little dealer agreed to a price over the phone, took my deposit and it was no drama when I went there the next day.

As a result, I have decided to change my plans a bit. Gonna throw a BT on the R and wait for the markets to get flooded with RS3s. Looking at getting a manual ZL1, or something else, which will fit my plan of having a fun rwd manual car AND I will still have a fun awd small engine car with auto. Dealers are now discounting ZL1s when they were charging over market 6 months ago. Like anything, the market gets flooded with vehicles and dealers need to move them. I might wait till Jan, because who is going to buy a 700 hp rwd sports car in January?

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I'm selling a like new set of TR Motorsport MT1 wheels 5x112 17x8et48. These wheels are only 16 pounds each, very lightweight. The tires are ventus v12 used for one summer of street driving, one tire needs to be plugged but the other three are fine. $600 with the tires included. Let me know if anyones interested. Wheels have no curb damage or bends.

DanJoy

Ready to race!
Kurt is still the owner as far as I know. They’ve done a fair amount of work on my buddies golf R in the past year. Kurt’s always seemed like a cool guy when I’ve picked my friend up there.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
In my experience in life and in general, you get what you pay for. When short on time I have used both independent shops and guys doing stuff on the side in the past. If I have the cash, I prefer a reputable shop.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
In my experience in life and in general, you get what you pay for. When short on time I have used both independent shops and guys doing stuff on the side in the past. If I have the cash, I prefer a reputable shop.

I usually agree on some of the more complicated things. I'd prob pass on a BT job anyways, think you have to pull the engine on that, or at least move it forward a few inches to clear the firewall/exhaust manifold. Not the end of the world but it has the makings to turn into a larger than expected job. I'll never touch a clutch job again on an R due to that reason, getting the rear transfer case out to drop the trans took longer than the clutch job itself. nope.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
I'm selling a like new set of TR Motorsport MT1 wheels 5x112 17x8et48. These wheels are only 16 pounds each, very lightweight. The tires are ventus v12 used for one summer of street driving, one tire needs to be plugged but the other three are fine. $600 with the tires included. Let me know if anyones interested. Wheels have no curb damage or bends.

These wheels are legit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk