GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

eddieliu76

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed the helix sub this weekend, everything went smoothly and sounded great, but while I was trying to push the infotainment system back in, because of all the extra wires, there was less room. After 10 minutes of moving the wires around, I decided to try to force it back in, which was a bad decision. For some reason, maybe because I'm still new at these DYI stuff, after it was forced into place, the system wont turn on :( so I took it back out, inspected it and no wires loose or anything and with someones help, found out it was a blown fuse and replaced it for me :)

I will attempt to install it again, hopefully it all goes well, without forcing anything back in lol

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
The real question is will it work with the new MIB III in the 7.5's. I'm holding off on my order until I can get some more information.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The real question is will it work with the new MIB III in the 7.5's. I'm holding off on my order until I can get some more information.

Based on the VW Parts website under the "B" part showing it fits the 2018 GTI, I would place bets that it will work with the MIB3 as well.

The Helix harness just needs the plugs at the unit to stay the same so that the harness connects. Beyond that it's just taking the speaker output from the MIB3, reprocessing it and reamping it, and then sending it to the speakers. It's effectively a "passive" process, so as long as the harness connects correctly and the sub installs in the trunk I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be compatible with the MK7.5 cars.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Based on the VW Parts website under the "B" part showing it fits the 2018 GTI, I would place bets that it will work with the MIB3 as well.

The Helix harness just needs the plugs at the unit to stay the same so that the harness connects. Beyond that it's just taking the speaker output from the MIB3, reprocessing it and reamping it, and then sending it to the speakers. It's effectively a "passive" process, so as long as the harness connects correctly and the sub installs in the trunk I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be compatible with the MK7.5 cars.

That’s what I was seeing as well but was hoping to see some input from European members who may have attempted this. Considering the price gap is significant for the “B” revision I would like to first try the regular part number and report back with more information. From what I read there didn’t seem to be a difference in using the original revision with 2017 models so fingers crossed it’s compatible with the MIB III.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That’s what I was seeing as well but was hoping to see some input from European members who may have attempted this. Considering the price gap is significant for the “B” revision I would like to first try the regular part number and report back with more information. From what I read there didn’t seem to be a difference in using the original revision with 2017 models so fingers crossed it’s compatible with the MIB III.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the working theory that the non-B part number is functionally identical to the B part number (difference being possibly internal components), if the non-B part number is still available when you go to purchase your Helix, you should be golden.

Sx350

Just wanted to say thanks to flipflp for this tutorial and the two guys that made the videos. Just installed...pretty simple when it comes to DIY projects. As for sound...I’m amazed that I got this much sound performance for $300. Not sure I need the dongle as it sounds so much better already. Much thanks!

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone installed this on a 7.5 with MIBIII ? Dealer has a pretty sweet deal for the 000051419. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as the B version.

I'll be trying it out I think

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Anyone installed this on a 7.5 with MIBIII ? Dealer has a pretty sweet deal for the 000051419. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as the B version.

I'll be trying it out I think

Shouldn't be any issues with this installation as long as the connectors on the media unit in the glove box are consistent with the previous base (non-Fender) MIB versions, and the trunk floor hasn't changed in anyway.

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
Just bought the unit (non-B) and the first thing I notice is that some of the part inside are labeled B and some not.

I paid 400$ (Canadian) with dongle included.

Now I'm just waiting for my trim removal tool to come in for the installation to begin on my MK7.5 GTI.

The only tool I don't have is the terminal cable remover. Do you think it's an issue? I was hoping to get it done with tiny glasses screwdrivers.

I have a few questions regarding the content of the Helix.

1- Some people seem to be talking about a gain on the DSP itself? I can't find it... Am I looking at the wrong place?

2- There is two harnest that are seperated from the main wiring.. What are thoses? From what I saw in the installation videos everything I need seem to be on the main wiring.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Didn’t need any tools for my install. Screwdrivers to release the dash unit, paper clip to remove the terminals, pull up trim with bare hands.

1.) small recessed screw next to the sub cables plug

2.) for different models (I.e not mk7) that had different plugs for power pins

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got my GTI yesterday and I found the stock system with MIB3 to be pretty darn good to the point where I ask myself do I really need the Helix?

I was kind of blown away by the stock sound system... I come from Subaru.. Maybe that's why.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I just got my GTI yesterday and I found the stock system with MIB3 to be pretty darn good to the point where I ask myself do I really need the Helix?

I was kind of blown away by the stock sound system... I come from Subaru.. Maybe that's why.

It's definitely because you came from Subaru. :p My sister in law has a base Impreza (higher end models may be better) and I had to adjust the simple EQ way off to get the thing to sound close to acceptable.

I thought my base MIB2 setup sounded good, then add some clarity, separation and thump and it gets even better with the Helix. That said, I paid $250 for the Helix when it went on closeout. If you can pay that now, it's VERY worth it. It's less worth it for the $6-700 the new superseded part number sells for.

alynch30

Passed Driver's Ed
It's definitely because you came from Subaru. :p My sister in law has a base Impreza (higher end models may be better) and I had to adjust the simple EQ way off to get the thing to sound close to acceptable.

I thought my base MIB2 setup sounded good, then add some clarity, separation and thump and it gets even better with the Helix. That said, I paid $250 for the Helix when it went on closeout. If you can pay that now, it's VERY worth it. It's less worth it for the $6-700 the new superseded part number sells for.

Like I said I paid $400CAD with dongle included. I guess I'll give it a shot.