GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAGIC/MAJESTY (eBay) 16.4 liter Intercooler

Banned
Did you feel like you needed to hose this out before instead or did the interior seem clean of metal shavings?

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Subbed for updates :)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Is this IC too big for an IS20?

+1. Anyone have thoughts on the above? I have an elementary understanding of intercoolers, but I know pressure loss is something to keep in mind with larger intercoolers...so any insight would be much appreciated!

Actually my question is it too big for an IS20 not tuned yet?

No such thing. If you've ever had a Intercooler upgrade before you can relate...turbo engines love cooler denser air no matter what.

All of the talk on pressure drop is blown WAY out of proportion. Boost is actually a measure of restriction. Not that our cars will make any boost pressure other than what the ECU calls for anyway...DV and WG are controlling boost precisely.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
No such thing. If you've ever had a Intercooler upgrade before you can relate...turbo engines love cooler denser air no matter what.

All of the talk on pressure drop is blown WAY out of proportion. Boost is actually a measure of restriction. Not that our cars will make any boost pressure other than what the ECU calls for anyway...DV and WG are controlling boost precisely.

Well said. :).

afman916

Ready to race!

Great, thanks man appreciate your knowledge drop. Makes this an even more enticing buy.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie

Thanks I'm new to turbos.. If the logs look good I wouldn't mind getting this and installing if for my future tune.. But if it's fine with the car being stock then I'd say it's a great upgrade.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah even stock you'll see noticeable gains, more consistent power, and a smoother more linear power curve

Really is all positives and no negatives, reduced temps also help with engine and turbo longevity...im probably buying one for myself, birthday present:cool:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Though we don't know the actual pressure drop of the ebay intercooler...most if not all (we don't have data for all, so not 100%) of the aftermarket intercoolers have LESS pressure drop then the stock unit. So even though there is a larger volume to content with, that internal volume is less restrictive then the stock tube and fin unit.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
21 lbs vs 7 lbs is a lot. Is the improvement enough to outweigh (pun intended) the extra heft up at the nose of the vehicle?

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
21 lbs vs 7 lbs is a lot. Is the improvement enough to outweigh (pun intended) the extra heft up at the nose of the vehicle?
According to oldschool, it's 21lbs heavier, so 28lbs total. Still 5lbs lighter than the Wagner. How much are you really going to notice 20lbs of sprung weight in a 3000lb car? You add way more than that with a passenger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion

An intercooler is pretty much a heat sink and the more material usually increases the efficiency. Unfortunately it also adds some weight but 14lbs isn’t anything I would worry to much about considering the pros outweigh the cons.

:)

srexy

Passed Driver's Ed
According to oldschool, it's 21lbs heavier, so 28lbs total. Still 5lbs lighter than the Wagner. How much are you really going to notice 20lbs of sprung weight in a 3000lb car? You add way more than that with a passenger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

With the lack of traction the GTI exhibits in 1st and 2nd maybe the 21lbs will be a welcome addition :D

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
With the lack of traction the GTI exhibits in 1st and 2nd maybe the 21lbs will be a welcome addition :D

Lol. The benefits of the IC far out weigh 21 pound increase. Bar @ Plate heavier than small tube/fin oem setup.