GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Third brake light flasher - where to install ?

flip7

Ready to race!
Howdy,

I want to make the third brake light flash when braking, and AFAIK is not doable via VCDS (please chime in if I am wrong)

so I want to install a $5 electronic flasher module which is about the size of a matches box.

Question is where I can install it, where I can pigtail the wires which go to the third brake light.

Any advise?

Thanks

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think you can make it flash via VCDS, but only for panic stopping. I think NAR cars are not coded to allow it.

I think installing a flasher will render the light inoperative and give you an MFD error message.

I think it's illegal in the U.S. to operate a automobile with flashing red rear lights while the vehicle is in motion without a permit from the police.

I think you should research federal, state, and local motor vehicle regulations.

Last edited:

flip7

Ready to race!
I had one on my previous vw jetta and it always passed inspection. Indeed to make it work someone need to build a rectifier curcuit as that is a rectangle signal

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I want this too, where can you get the unit that allows the flashing?

flip7

Ready to race!
So here it is - finally

I managed to get it working ... no errors or error lights

The flasher module needs a rectifier circuit 1 diode and a capacitor

Amazon sells these flashers for ~$5
rest of the components ~$3

here is the youtube with the final result:
Link

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I managed to get it working ... no errors or error lights

The flasher module needs a rectifier circuit 1 diode and a capacitor

Amazon sells these flashers for ~$5

rest of the components ~$3

here is the youtube with the final result:

Link

Do you have a tutorial?

flip7

Ready to race!
Tutorial

As with everything - I am not responsible for whatever you end up with - as a result of this guide.

1) remove the interior trim from the top of the hatch (pull it up / towards you). Gets off quite easy

2) Find the wires going to the flasher - see pic;
2.a) determine the positive wire with a multi-meter.
2.b) cut the positive wire. Beware where you cut it, in case you cut it too short it will be hard to get in there and correct this. You will need to be able to solder and isolate the wires from the flasher module to the wire you cut!

3) Install flasher module; use double adhesive tape to stick things to the body.

With the flasher I got, it required an external rectifier circuit - 1 diode + 1 capacitor

4) Test it

5) put everything back & enjoy.

Attachments

• flasher.jpg
    flasher.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 3,443

vidman

Ready to race!
Can you put up a diagram of the rectifier module, showing how to connect it in circuit

flip7

Ready to race!
i have this one,

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brak...rake-light-flasherstrober-m1-model-p-181.html

it doesnt throw a code when its being used, but when you short the two white wires for set up it does. it goes away when you restart the car. super easy install

heres a video for mine, you can barley notice it in the video, but its pretty noticeable when youre behind me.

good luck

You did not post the video ???

BTW - did you had to use an external rectifier circuit, or not?

flip7

Ready to race!
oops sorry,

heres the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be04K5aT_Zg

I did not, use a rectifier circuit. all i did was splice the wire and solder it on. let me know if you have any questions

I think the effect is not so crisp (at least from the video) because the signal from the brake light wire is likely a 100Hz rectangle signal with some duty cycle which is meant to adjust the LED intensity.

Your install may benefit from a rectifier circuit. Next time I open mine up, I will put a scope on that brake wire to confirm. On an older Jetta this was definitely the case.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Okay, so I installed THIS third brake light flasher and I built a rectifier circuit similar to the one posted by @flip7.

The flasher works great but I still get a error on the third brake light. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? Is it possible to install a capacitor backwards?

Thanks!