GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Suspension install on the locals mk7 gti went really smooth. Although I have to say I'm not endorsing ST coilovers. They have only one retainer which makes adjusting ride height in the rear take a long time. Ended up taking the spring down again in order to adjust it.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Looks good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DanJoy

Ready to race!
Think I remember that from a post on the MK7 FB page. Seems to be a lot of MK7's around here but not much of an enthusiast community like there was with the MK6.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Think I remember that from a post on the MK7 FB page. Seems to be a lot of MK7's around here but not much of an enthusiast community like there was with the MK6.

Should come to our meets sometime, we meet every thursday evening. Go like our fb page for more info, last year Deutschland Raketen won an award at windy city dub fest for largest club presence.

Come hang out some time
https://www.facebook.com/Deutschland-Raketen-285276928570263/

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Heh I'm not worried about it. Have done a ton of suspension jobs for locals over the years. Sometimes the nutsert just strips out and spins inside of the strut mount. I dont expect to see any issue from a newer mk7.

Suspension install on the locals mk7 gti went really smooth. Although I have to say I'm not endorsing ST coilovers. They have only one retainer which makes adjusting ride height in the rear take a long time. Ended up taking the spring down again in order to adjust it.

Actually after working on a MK7 GTI this weekend....the strut mount bolts are different (they have a washer on the bolt)

ST coilovers have the same perches as the MK5/MK6/etc....Konis, KW's, Raceland, new FK's....they're all like that
You can't adjust them on the car....it's easier to just drop the LCA and adjust the perch off the car

ALTHOUGH, it's a pain in the ass on the MK7 since you have the extra 2 bolts going thru it versus a MK6

Just curious, how long did it take you?

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Actually after working on a MK7 GTI this weekend....the strut mount bolts are different (they have a washer on the bolt)

ST coilovers have the same perches as the MK5/MK6/etc....Konis, KW's, Raceland, new FK's....they're all like that
You can't adjust them on the car....it's easier to just drop the LCA and adjust the perch off the car

ALTHOUGH, it's a pain in the ass on the MK7 since you have the extra 2 bolts going thru it versus a MK6

Just curious, how long did it take you?

Not so sure about that. Here's what the rears look like(first pic). Short of putting a vice on the threads to hold it in place theres no way to turn it without the whole housing spinning. The second picture is how every other coilover system I've installed works where it has a place at the top for a second spanner wrench to hold it in place which makes adjusting on the car a breeze.

The install took just over 3 hours. Then after we realized it was way too low I farted around trying to adjust them on the car before realizing ST's poor design and tore the rears down again. That took about another 45 minutes for both sides. I like the design of the 3 bolts holding the rear control arm in on the mk7 vs the one bolt on the mk6. It doesn't really add any difficulty to the job honestly. Especially with electric ratchets and impact guns :cool:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Not so sure about that. Here's what the rears look like(first pic). Short of putting a vice on the threads to hold it in place theres no way to turn it without the whole housing spinning. The second picture is how every other coilover system I've installed works where it has a place at the top for a second spanner wrench to hold it in place which makes adjusting on the car a breeze.

The install took just over 3 hours. Then after we realized it was way too low I farted around trying to adjust them on the car before realizing ST's poor design and tore the rears down again. That took about another 45 minutes for both sides. I like the design of the 3 bolts holding the rear control arm in on the mk7 vs the one bolt on the mk6. It doesn't really add any difficulty to the job honestly. Especially with electric ratchets and impact guns :cool:

My MK5/MK6 ST's and HPA SHS's and KW V1's all have that same style perch.
Plus they only give you one wrench anyways...there's little to no room to adjust it on the car anyways, IMO, if you did have another wrench. I mean I guess you could, lol.

The old FK Streetlines or Solo coilovers, with the perch that bolted into the LCA....you had to pull that out too.

Konis have the notch to hold it, on both pieces, but again it's tight & they only give you one wrench in the kit.

But anyways....I do it all on the ground/jack stands with hand tools.
Getting the end link bolt is a pain, IMO, on the MK7. You have to have it lined up (even/no load on it) for it to just pull right out.
Then you can go to the other 2 bolts, which aren't bad.

Either way...nice job.
How much did you charge, if you did?

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
My MK5/MK6 ST's and HPA SHS's and KW V1's all have that same style perch.
Plus they only give you one wrench anyways...there's little to no room to adjust it on the car anyways, IMO, if you did have another wrench. I mean I guess you could, lol.

The old FK Streetlines or Solo coilovers, with the perch that bolted into the LCA....you had to pull that out too.

Konis have the notch to hold it, on both pieces, but again it's tight & they only give you one wrench in the kit.

But anyways....I do it all on the ground/jack stands with hand tools.
Getting the end link bolt is a pain, IMO, on the MK7. You have to have it lined up (even/no load on it) for it to just pull right out.
Then you can go to the other 2 bolts, which aren't bad.

Either way...nice job.
How much did you charge, if you did?

Well.... My opinion is that it's a poor design. I've installed probably 15 or so coilovers on gti platforms alone and countless others on other platforms and this was literally the first time I've seen this design without a notch on the top section to hold it in place. Knowing that kw and shs are the same as you say, I wouldn't personally buy them.

And I disagree about not having room to adjust them, if they supplied a second spanner wrench like other companies do there would be plenty of room.

With all hand tools I would expect the job would take quite a bit longer by a few hours indeed.

I charge $300 for suspension installs. I don't really like doing then as side jobs honestly because it's hard to knock a shop price out of the park and still be worth while. Other services it's a lot easier to beat shop quotes and still come out right at the end of it.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Nah it doesn't take long with the hand tools...it only takes me a couple hours, total, usually ;)

$300...damn
$80 for springs, $100 for cup kits, & $120 for coilovers are my rates

heh, I take it you've never had one of the strut mount nutserts get stripped inside the strut mount and had to cut the mount out before. I went with $300 after that started to become a trend. Like I said above though, I don't even really like doing suspension jobs due to the price I have to charge. Normally I like to come in around 50-60% of what shops charge and I think that's fair being as I have all of the training, tools, and experience. Shops around here quote around $450. I think $300 is still pretty fair for folks looking to get a quality job at a reduced price.