Tough guy or waver?

• Tough Guy

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Waver

Votes: 220 78.9%

• Total voters

Obsrvr

Ready to race!

I'd wave too, or at least would have back when that bus was newer...I'm married now :D Btw, is that girl your daughter? Because if it's your daughter, then never mind about all that waving stuff :eek:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I drive a car of that description, but don't, unfortunately, live in Ca anymore (you can check out, but you can never leave), besides, I would have at least waved after being a such an asshat :D...but that brings up another question- Would we be even more pissed if an asshat waved at us, after being an asshat? Because then we might think, "Look at that asshat!! Just waved like he had no shame at all!" Some things have no answers...:p

LOL. Yeah I don't mind if someone rides my ass on Grizzly Peak. A lot of people have fun driving up there and there are tons of places to pull over. Lead, follow, or get out of the way is my motto.

Anyway, as a looong time Bay Area guy, I notice that the level of rudeness and douche baggery has gone way up since the 2000's. I blame it all on the transplanted tech bros (sorry tech bros but it's true). :D

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
LOL. Yeah I don't mind if someone rides my ass on Grizzly Peak. A lot of people have fun driving up there and there are tons of places to pull over. Lead, follow, or get out of the way is my motto.

Anyway, as a looong time Bay Area guy, I notice that the level of rudeness and douche baggery has gone way up since the 2000's. I blame it all on the transplanted tech bros (sorry tech bros but it's true). :D

Yeah, I hate to say it, but it's gone up everywhere. Those of us over 40 notice it, because we have something to compare it to. Forums like this may be the last Stronghold for those of a more "generous spirit", shall we say? Then again, sometimes it ain't no picnic here :D , but at least it's a place!

Stickman

Passed Driver's Ed
The more prevalent a marque becomes the less likely you are to get a wave. Not to sound like a snob but I don't think there is enough exclusivity to engage in the practice. Consequently, I don't even think about it. Just my 2¢

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I go days without seeing another GTI.
Weeks sometimes.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Nobody waves at me ever neither do I wave at others but I loved it when I rode my motorcycle and there were that camaraderie. If you broke down there were always another rider to help you for example.
Maybe is time to start a trend...

cornercarver

Passed Driver's Ed
After owning an Jeep Wrangler 4-door and a Mini Cooper S I am a waiver... Though I never get waives back unless its an MK5 or older.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Does one have to sign a waiver to be a waver? ;)

When I owned my MINI lots of waves exchanged. Although after 9 years that seems to have gone by the wayside. No one waves at VW's around here.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There are very few GTI's in my area, and I only ever saw 2 other R's in almost a year.

But if want to bow down to Zod that's OK with me.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I usually throw a deuce, most times you can tell the people that are driving a car and the enthusiasts.

I usually flush my deuces, but to each their own.

I'll tend to wave if I can tell that they're an enthusiast.

Lobtfu

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it's the lack of wave comes from too many people having golfs and GTIs as daily drivers. When I hade the wrx everyone waved, never been in a car that was a universal wave as much as then.

dduck

Passed Driver's Ed
If I see them looking over, sure. There are a lot of them around Atlanta though. I was driving through NC the other night and came upon another driver in a CSG mk7 with a loud BOV. We stuck together for a good 30 minutes without so much as a headnod.

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
All the jeep guys where I work(JKs) park together 4 or 5 in a row. But the Wrangler Unlimiteds, they are forced to park in a different spot, but they too stick together. With their Sportwagons of the Jeeping world lol. If that's a fair comparison.

Ha, now we have the Sportwagen and an Unlimited 4 door. :D

And I definitely always wave in the Jeep. The funny thing was when I'd drive the Jeep on the weekend and wave at a MINI.

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Love that you made this thread! Was about to post about this exact topic.

So I am quite surprised by the lack of GTI comradery on the road. I haven't had a single wave returned by a fellow GTI driver. I don't even bother with regular golfs or other VWs, most drivers look like they could care less about the cars around them let alone mine. I even had a GTI parked next to me as I was heading out of the lot. Not even a nod of acknowledgement from the driver.

My brother in his WRX gets a wave by EVERY SINGLE WRX on the road, regardless of model year. I mean, we're talking visible enthusiastic waves/thumbs up, sometimes even beeps, which he returns. I think its so cool and never gets old.

So, what gives VW people? Are just too many non-car people buying these things as DDs? I expect this from the audi crowd but not from GTI peeps...

My girlfriend has a 2015 wrx and every time another wrx driver crosses her path they wave or beep. Great following on their side. I've only seen 2-3 GTI's on the road since I purchased my first back in January. I drove next to one and slowed down to their speed and waved but got the "wtf are you doing bro?" Look. Oh well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk