Tough guy or waver?

• Tough Guy

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Waver

Votes: 220 78.9%

• Total voters

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Trying to spark a humorous discussion here.

Since owning a VW in 2012, I have learned of the very deep following many of us share and would like to maintain towards our brand(s). Growing up in a Mopar household, the extent of my VW knowledge stopped at "Beatles are ugly". After working for the brand for a few years however all of that changed. It is a strong community full of very loyal followers. I admire it.

I must say however, not many of us wave. Since having my GTI, I have had one other GTI driver interaction on the road. They were very enthusiastic at that, and were trying to make up for all the tough guy sour faces I see. Honked at me even :D Thank you black GTI S APR stage II owner, you were very kind. I myself wave at my fellow kamerades, I usually get the dead, motionless hand at the 12 o'clock position in return. Just curious what others felt, do you just wave at GTIs like yours? Or are there other stipulations? Lol. I just don't want to be one of two guys who wave.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
When I lived in Honolulu, VW/Audi drivers always waved the shaka when we saw each other. There was a lot of camaraderie on the island. Here in MD, when I wave to a fellow VW, I get a dirty ass look.

MK7GTiPP

Passed Driver's Ed
I usually wave, or give a little finger point if my hand is on the wheel.

bpw

Ready to race!
I usually wave, but it's a habit carried over from my air-cooled days. Those guys are usually pretty cool, motors are hot though lol.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
When I lived in Honolulu, VW/Audi drivers always waved the shaka when we saw each other. There was a lot of camaraderie on the island. Here in MD, when I wave to a fellow VW, I get a dirty ass look.
I feel ya man . It's like my car has an insult down the side or something. They turn their heads, I know they saw me wave lol.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I'm a waver, always. Usually just flash the "Peace" symbol, sometimes tap my horn. Always worth it for the times I get back a toothy grin, wave or horn. I think sometimes the reason GTI/R drivers don't respond is they are pre-occupied with thoughts, like, where their next turn is, getting someplace on time, how much they hate their boss, what's for lunch or dinner, or a zillion other things, so by the time your wave registers, your both 2 blocks past each other.

Of course, there is always the Tough Guy syndrome, that prevents the expressing of ANY emotion, whatsoever, at ANY time, except anger and violence...and THAT's one sad-ass disease to have.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Love that you made this thread! Was about to post about this exact topic.

So I am quite surprised by the lack of GTI comradery on the road. I haven't had a single wave returned by a fellow GTI driver. I don't even bother with regular golfs or other VWs, most drivers look like they could care less about the cars around them let alone mine. I even had a GTI parked next to me as I was heading out of the lot. Not even a nod of acknowledgement from the driver.

My brother in his WRX gets a wave by EVERY SINGLE WRX on the road, regardless of model year. I mean, we're talking visible enthusiastic waves/thumbs up, sometimes even beeps, which he returns. I think its so cool and never gets old.

So, what gives VW people? Are just too many non-car people buying these things as DDs? I expect this from the audi crowd but not from GTI peeps...

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I will wave to fellow Golf/GTI/R owners, but generally not other VW's in general. Not that I dislike the other vehicles in VW lineup, they just aren't in the club. :D There's a few regular MK5's, 6's, and 7's I run into on my daily commute; the Mk5 Black GTI and a MK7 Red GTI are the only two that respond.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I give the wave/two finger lift to every GTI that's modded. There's just too many non-enthusiasts out there to acknowledge every one with a GTI, but if they are clearly modded, chances are really high/near guaranteed they are an enthusiast of some kind.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My experience is pretty different. Most of the time other GTI owners are pretty interactive

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Just too many VW and specifically GTI's in my area to do this. If someone waves I wave back but I rarely initiate. If I see if tastefully modded VW I sometimes wave.

My car is stock by appearance so nobody would probably guess I was an enthusiast.