GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

JacobAllison

Ready to race!
I'm in the process of getting a GTI through MAS as well. They are really good at price matching if you haven't looked into that yet. You don't necessarily need an official quote; just an email listing the price, doc fees, freight, etc. I ended up saving ~$6k off msrp. (I'll post all of the details once I take delivery) and you can get matching up to two weeks after delivery. If you have the time and patience to deal with the salespeople, it could be worth your effort.

Oh, wow! Thanks for the info, more money saved is mo' money for mods!

Can you PM me any info on how you got your better price? I'm working with Priscilla.

Up to two weeks after delivery, huh? So even though it's a custom factory order I could still get a better price? I really appreciate the info, thank you!

glayfan40

Passed Driver's Ed

After I talked about my experience and numbers, this is what they gave me.

27835 -6200(discount) +65(tag)+600(doc)+900(tax) = $23,200.

There is yes, $230 difference; but i am thinking of going to Kelly at Beyer VW than Stohlman or Sheehy.

May I ask if that $6200 includes the $1000 loyalty rebate? But either way it sounds like you're getting a really good deal.

sirspiffycliff

Ready to race!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Owings mills! Bought mine from heritage last year. GTI SE 26.8k out door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeeme

Passed Driver's Ed
On 12/31/16, i bought...
• 2017 GTI Sport
• transmission: manual
• extra: monster mats
• $25,250 OTD

No Loyalty Discount
No "partner program" discount

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Re post #769 about DC pricing:

Pretty much all of them are showing a discounted price that doesn't include destination. That's about the only thing that is silly, IMHO, but they do list this at the bottom of the internet page in the disclaimers. And of course, tax, tags, licensing, and dealer fee is pretty much never included in an advertised price by any dealer.

Even adding the destination charge back in, DC area prices tend to be some of the best in the country. I was pleased to pay $22.7K at Karen Radley VW for my '16 S w/ Performance and Lighting packages back in July, even after the LOW LOW INTERNET BLOWOUT PRICE was listed as somewhere in the $21K range.

It's all a game, and they'll all try to get away with as much as you'll allow them to. I even caught the finance guy shaving $500 off of my trade on the paperwork and had them fix it and reprint all the papers. Caveat emptor.

tkchan19

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I am returning to GTI once again and much excited about recent sales. As you all know, DC region advertise their price rather too rigorously and as one member stated, they do include all possible discounts that you may not even qualify. But what really got on my nerve is how some dealership around DC play with numbers and lure/mislead customers in illusion, for example, Sheehy(Springfield, VA) and Stohlman(Tysons Corner, VA). So, here is what happened with those unbelievable $7k $8k off MSRP discounts (which may include Royal customer/military/graduates/etc)

Original Price $27,835 ( GTI S + $320 for (Monster Mat & FirstAid Kid (these two are almost sold/included in as default) + $820 for Destination Charge)

For example, Stohlman VW said they would give me $7250 off MSRP as "discount", so i.e.

$27,835 - $7250(discount) + $65(tag/registration) +$600(doc fee) + $900(tax) = $22,150. But everybody freaked out and became argumentative because they said I have to pay for destination, i.e.

$27,835 - $7250(discount) + $65(tag/registration) +$600(doc fee) + $900(tax) +$820(Destination charge) = $22,970

So I of course objected why they are charging me for Destination Charge twice since 27835 included it already.
And of course sales without ability to explain or choose not to explain , or even refuse to go line by line with a calculator, it became disputes and one of extremely rude manager literally throw the phone away and walked off.

I ended up talking to General Manager directly and he said, they took out destination charge and put it in the discount! So technically, they are not giving the customer $7250 discount; so it was $6430.

In numbers,

$27,835 - $7250( $820 for destination + $6430 for the actual discount) + 65 + 600 + 900 + 820 = 22970.

So I asked him why you do that, or doesn't he stretch too much or use way too loose term of "discount". and how does it become "discount" if I am paying back anyway. There he admitted that they just want their customers feel like they are getting superb deal and virtually almost nobody asks about destination charge. And when I told him that I can't thank you for giving me 7250 and paying you back 820, because Stohlman VW being sly and misleading, and because I am not a rebate program. then he awfully sounded like there is nothing wrong how they lure or mislead the customers.

So anyhow, $6430 may still a good discount considering most of posts here says less, but it's just the sly play DC area dealerships play I couldn't be down for business.

So for the heck of it, I went to Beyer VW up in winchester, VA, and dealt with Kelly. She was knowledgeable and we had a great talk even about upgrading chips and horsepowers, etc.. I was impressed. Maybe because winchester is about 70 miles away from "city", people were rather straightforward.

After I talked about my experience and numbers, this is what they gave me.

27835 -6200(discount) +65(tag)+600(doc)+900(tax) = $23,200.

There is yes, $230 difference; but i am thinking of going to Kelly at Beyer VW than Stohlman or Sheehy.

I agree the dealers in the D.C. area are misleading. I scratched my head a little bit after buying my 2016 GTI S manual from Sheehy, but eventually understood their math. I think there are a few things buyers should be aware of.

Website MSRP Misrepresented
The MSRP listed on the website here includes the *amounts* for $820 freight, $235 monster mats, and $85 roadside assistance kit. The monster mats and roadside assistance kit "comes with the car from the dealer" and "can't be taken off."

Note that MSRP for this vehicle, per VW USA website is $25,595. $25,595 + $820 (freight) + $235 (monster mats) + $85 (roadside assistance kit) = $26,735 (dealer's "MSRP" as stated on website)

Actual MSRP obviously does not include freight, monster mats, and roadside assistance kit. See my 2016 sticker below (2016 and 2017 GTI S MSRP were the same), accurately reflecting VW USA's MSRP.

The dealers tack on the $820 freight, $235 monster mats, and $85 roadside assistance kit to the misrepresented MSRP stated on their website. However, they do cleverly state that the given MSRP does not include freight (it's just inflated by the $820 amount for freight, $235 for monster mats, and $85 for roadside assistance kit). Legal experts-is there is legal misrepresentation here? The interesting thing here is that they get away with adding $820 freight to their online stated MSRP, but don't bother adding in the $235 monster mats and $85 roadside assistance kit to the final price of the vehicle.

Instant savings, discounts, and rebates
Another confusing bit is that included in the "instant savings" of $7,544 on their website are discounts and rebates. Discounts are applied to the sales price of the car (you don't pay sales tax on this) and rebates ($1,000 loyalty, $1,000 for financing with VW) are applied after sales tax is applied.

Bottom Line
Dealers in D.C. Area INFLATE the MSRP by the amount of the freight, monster mats, and roadside assistance kit then tack on the freight cost at the end.

Recommendation
If I knew this information before buying (hard to know before, and tough to understand during the buy process) I would argue with them that the MSRP is not reflected accurately on the website and try to negotiate to use the actual MSRP that does not include freight and manufacturer included accessories while keeping the same discounts and rebates.

Very annoying and sleezy sales tactic, but I'm happy with my purchase otherwise, given the price and vehicle.

Last edited:

tkchan19

Passed Driver's Ed
Re post #769 about DC pricing:

Pretty much all of them are showing a discounted price that doesn't include destination. That's about the only thing that is silly, IMHO, but they do list this at the bottom of the internet page in the disclaimers. And of course, tax, tags, licensing, and dealer fee is pretty much never included in an advertised price by any dealer.

Even adding the destination charge back in, DC area prices tend to be some of the best in the country. I was pleased to pay $22.7K at Karen Radley VW for my '16 S w/ Performance and Lighting packages back in July, even after the LOW LOW INTERNET BLOWOUT PRICE was listed as somewhere in the $21K range.

It's all a game, and they'll all try to get away with as much as you'll allow them to. I even caught the finance guy shaving $500 off of my trade on the paperwork and had them fix it and reprint all the papers. Caveat emptor.

Nice. I would have preferred my 2016 GTI S with the performance package. I guess I didn't look hard enough as I thought and heard it was a rare package. I agree with your thoughts on the DC prices. The end game is that the price paid is still significantly under MSRP.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Nice. I would have preferred my 2016 GTI S with the performance package. I guess I didn't look hard enough as I thought and heard it was a rare package. I agree with your thoughts on the DC prices. The end game is that the price paid is still significantly under MSRP.

It was a pretty rare combo. I got lucky and saw mine on the dealer's website and called them because I didn't think it was true, but it was. It had just been taken off the truck and I got it with 10 miles on the odo. Radley's ordering guy said that he tried to order that combo regularly because they moved quicker. This bore itself out, as VW came out with the Sport package for '17.

jtucker

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

New to the forum. Just bought my second GTI. First was a new MKI in 1983. New to me is 2015 GTI AB, silver, lighting package, MT, lowering springs, clear bra. a little less than 25 k miles. $20,400, private party sale. Might have paid a bit of a premium, but it was noticeably nicer than others I looked at for slightly less.

yoonyque

May I ask if that $6200 includes the $1000 loyalty rebate? But either way it sounds like you're getting a really good deal.
No it did not include any Royalty, Graduate, Military, etc. So yes it is a great deal. It's just their way of bloating/mislead how much discount you get is not really true, since they factor in destination charge then they recharge it later.

So, Don't get me wrong, $6200 off is really great deal.. it's just their sly sales play and they were reluctant and irritated to explain when I started pointing it out.

For this matter, go to Beyer VW, Winchester VA. They almost matched the deal and I rather get bit less off from a dealership who isn't sly. My sales lady is Kelly.

Last edited:

tkchan19

Passed Driver's Ed
It was a pretty rare combo. I got lucky and saw mine on the dealer's website and called them because I didn't think it was true, but it was. It had just been taken off the truck and I got it with 10 miles on the odo. Radley's ordering guy said that he tried to order that combo regularly because they moved quicker. This bore itself out, as VW came out with the Sport package for '17.

Yup. The '17 Sport also comes with mice Nogaro wheels!

McGTI1

DC area deal back to the midwest

Live in Indiana. TDI Turn in.

17 GTI Sport manual, red.

Best OTD near home was $27,800.

King VW in Gaithersburg MD was $25027 OTD.

Paid $56 for a one way ticket IND to DCA and drove it back.

Just couldn't justify the extra $2700 to buy local. My only concern is the 'double taxation' question. Indy dealers swear I'm going to get hit with MD taxes and IN taxes, my contention, having bought a VW previously out of state, was that you pay taxes in the place where you register the car (IN). King VW is agreeing with me, but we'll see when I go to get the plates... (Even if double taxes, I still saved well over $1000 going to King...)

Miss my 45 MPG but now I can't wipe this grin off my face. Tuning and other upgrades forthcoming...

rfc89747

Ready to race!
Would it be realistic for me to expect to pay about $28k OTD for a 17 GTI Autobahn? I'll be looking to buy in the summer so I'm expecting the 18 model year to start hitting dealers around then. I'd be willing to travel for the deal also because prices in my area seem very high.