GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I thought with cold temps IATs would be much lower hence making more power? Does the boost go down and make power essentially the same? Please educate me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I thought with cold temps IATs would be much lower hence making more power? Does the boost go down and make power essentially the same? Please educate me :)

It depends on the tuning strategy. On a stock car it's load based so as temps cool, it can hit the load target using less boost because air density is increased. Some people prefer this method because it gives your car a "break" you could say in the winter since it's not being pushed so hard lol

Using boost targeting you can make more power when it's cold. For example, in the summer the turbo may be hitting 22psi. In the cold, only 17psi. You can target the boost so it always tries to hit 22psi. There is a limit to this since the turbo can only flow so much. So while you might be targeting 22psi, it may run out of flow at 20psi.. still more than 17psi tho! As George said, in the summer boost targeting is nice because it sets a cap on the boost. My car in the summer on JB1 would hit 27-28psi. Personally going to use boost targeting and cap it at 25psi in the summer.

This is where having a compressor map helps since you'd know the limits, but unfortunately we don't have one for these turbos ;)

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

Colder air is also denser with oxygen even under pressure. So the ECU does a correction for this. Hence same pressure in the cold means more power. More pressure in cold means turbo weather :D.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys

Muzdub

Ready to race!
Great information, George! Looking forward to working with you!

themyst

Ready to race!
It depends on the tuning strategy. On a stock car it's load based so as temps cool, it can hit the load target using less boost because air density is increased. Some people prefer this method because it gives your car a "break" you could say in the winter since it's not being pushed so hard lol

Using boost targeting you can make more power when it's cold. For example, in the summer the turbo may be hitting 22psi. In the cold, only 17psi. You can target the boost so it always tries to hit 22psi. There is a limit to this since the turbo can only flow so much. So while you might be targeting 22psi, it may run out of flow at 20psi.. still more than 17psi tho! As George said, in the summer boost targeting is nice because it sets a cap on the boost. My car in the summer on JB1 would hit 27-28psi. Personally going to use boost targeting and cap it at 25psi in the summer.

This is where having a compressor map helps since you'd know the limits, but unfortunately we don't have one for these turbos ;)

In frigid IATs around 17-18 psi is the max on this turbo from 5000-6600 up top, at least in my experience. Let me go dig up a log.

themyst

Ready to race!
Here ya go.

Attachments

• 121516_1135.jpg
    121516_1135.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 4,970

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
Here ya go.

What is the stock ecu timing curve? Looks like you quickly target 10° down low and ramp up to 11-12° by redline. With the stock map running leaner and that much timing I'm beginning to wonder if a stock flash jb4 tuned car would make more power than a stacked jb4 car.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya I remember your post which is why I made sure to include that bit about not being able to flow enough haha.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
What is the stock ecu timing curve? Looks like you quickly target 10° down low and ramp up to 11-12° by redline. With the stock map running leaner and that much timing I'm beginning to wonder if a stock flash jb4 tuned car would make more power than a stacked jb4 car.

As long as you're not pulling timing, there's a good chance of that. ED IS38 tune only hits about 10-10.5 degrees on his 93oct file for example

themyst

Ready to race!

Ah, I remember you from the N54 days :) It's only a matter of time before DIY flash solutions readable with ECUflash or Tunerpro come out to market, or at the very least, ATR on the Cobb platform.

George did mention that I ramp timing faster than most, but look at my post-shift timing... look familiar? :rolleyes: I need to test and log a few more things, but I'm getting real tired of running that JB4 cable through my window. Waiting on BT connect kit before I go do more testing.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
+1 on the cable. I almost was going to do it through the firewall lol. Maybe I'll pick up the Bluetooth kit as well. Logging still full speed?

themyst

Ready to race!
+1 on the cable. I almost was going to do it through the firewall lol. Maybe I'll pick up the Bluetooth kit as well. Logging still full speed?

No faster or slower than going through the windows interface. Go check out the demos on YouTube. The BT kit also has the added bonus of 6 gauges to look at once.

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
Ah, I remember you from the N54 days :) It's only a matter of time before DIY flash solutions readable with ECUflash or Tunerpro come out to market, or at the very least, ATR on the Cobb platform.

George did mention that I ramp timing faster than most, but look at my post-shift timing... look familiar? :rolleyes: I need to test and log a few more things, but I'm getting real tired of running that JB4 cable through my window. Waiting on BT connect kit before I go do more testing.

You could always pick up an Open Flash Tablet, lol :D

Yeah I remember all the post shift timing sagas over on Bimmerboost. I'll have to sort through my jb4 logs and see if my post shift timing looks any better.