GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SABO's MK7

sabo

Ready to race!
34. Rear Wiper Delete

34. Rear Wiper Delete

Mod:
I debated this mod for awhile, as I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. After browsing many pics, I decided I preferred this look AND in my first 10,000 miles of driving I only ever used my rear wiper one time. Off with the WIPER! In with a BUNG!

Cost: ~$15

Who: Kill All Wipers from Brexit. I liked that their unit was flush mount. http://www.killallwipers.com/product/vw-golf-mk6-mk7-flush-wiper-delete-kit

Install: About 30 mins start to finish. Hardest part was removing the wiper arm from the thread. All I can say is patience, flat head and proceed carefully. It can be done.

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 3,193
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
35. 2nd Cabin Filter

35. 2nd Cabin Filter

Mod:
Installing an aftermarket cabin filter housing and filter under the hood at the cabin air intake. Currently there is just a plastic housing with grid to block large debris. Forum member came across an aftermarket filter housing replacement from China. Two filters has to be better than one. Will extend life of the glovebox filter. There is a water gutter cover that shields this intake from water, so I don't see any concerns of this getting wet.

Who: Aliexpress. There are a couple providers. Mine arrived in about 3 weeks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-...32759052922.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.kU4eb8

Cost: $20 for initial housing plus one filter

Install: Resulting pics below. DIY Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayjsidfouhnu4r3/Aftermarket 2nd Cabin Filter.pdf?dl=0

Filter Replacements: i have (15) in stock. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-...32772683125.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.NW62m3

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 3,890
Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
35. 2nd Cabin Filter

Mod:
Installing an aftermarket cabin filter housing and filter under the hood at the cabin air intake. Currently there is just a plastic housing with grid to block large debris. Forum member came across an aftermarket filter housing replacement from China. Two filters has to be better than one. Will extend life of the glovebox filter. There is a water gutter cover that shields this intake from water, so I don't see any concerns of this getting wet.

Who: Aliexpress. There are a couple providers. Mine arrived in about 3 weeks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-...32759052922.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.kU4eb8

Cost: $20 for initial housing plus one filter

Install: Resulting pics below. DIY Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayjsidfouhnu4r3/Aftermarket 2nd Cabin Filter.pdf?dl=0

Filter Replacements: i have (15) on the way from china.

15 replacements?
Guess that answers my question if washable.
A washable would be good if it existed.
Thanks for info.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
i got a bulk special order for $3.6 each shipped.....washable, not sure...

i tend to go crazy on consumables that are cheap...i stock up for doomsday.

always can sell them...

Yes, if we have a nuclear war and the land is like Mad Max maybe air filters will become the monetary standard. You will be the leader then.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Love the cable run... super clean as always. You could use a spider mount for now until you find something more permanent. Only issue with that is it blocks the flow of the vents a bit...

sabo

Ready to race!
Found a perfect mount.

• Size covers completely the air bag warning. yet it doesn't overhang the trim piece.

• Nice quality with polished ring. Without the phone, looks like it belongs with car

• Thickness appears sufficient to clear the dash (possibly may need to add one extra layer of 3M tape to be able to rotate freely).

• Vents - iphone only blocks a small part in vertical orientation, horizontal of course about half of each vent, but don't mind.

I will post a full install with links once I get the light switch installed and everything can go back in .

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 3,185
Last edited:

Derf

Ready to race!
Awesome stuff Sabo, keep up the cool ideas for inspiration.

My $0.02 thoughts:
1) you can't stop spending money on this car, can you?

2) every iPhone lightning cable I've owned since Apple switched over with the iPhone 5 has eventually broke/failed. Doesn't matter if OEM or aftermarket, it's not if, but when. The cable routing is cool, but you should stock up on 30 cables in addition to your air filters because it will eventually break, and although the OEM USB placement is awkward to disconnect, your solution may be a bigger PITA to change.

sabo

Ready to race!
Awesome stuff Sabo, keep up the cool ideas for inspiration.

My $0.02 thoughts:
1) you can't stop spending money on this car, can you?

2) every iPhone lightning cable I've owned since Apple switched over with the iPhone 5 has eventually broke/failed. Doesn't matter if OEM or aftermarket, it's not if, but when. The cable routing is cool, but you should stock up on 30 cables in addition to your air filters because it will eventually break, and although the OEM USB placement is awkward to disconnect, your solution may be a bigger PITA to change.

1. No. I have a problem. (and you sound like my wife :D). However, I have let other expensive hobbies fall by the wayside (golf-ing (the sport) mainly). 5-hr rounds = No home time with kids, car mods = home time around kids. So, a wash financially according to my accountant, Sandman GTI.

2. Yes, this crossed my mind before I started this venture...the what-ifs. I have 3 original iphone charges for a few years still going. still use on my 6s. Yes, new ones probably suffering quality. My experience is the cords that go portable and high folding, traveling etc wear out. The ones that are stationary (desk, car) last many years. Def, could be a pain down the road, but in a few years if I have to rerun, ah well. I prefer this ordeal over DAILY dangling wires. I know, weird. I'm seeking medication for this.

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Is the mount magnetic? Interested to see the finished, mounted and plugged in result!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Amazing... I love it! It's especially awesome that the cable will stick to the mag mount so it won't run away on you.

Did you have an MDI port previously or was I always USB?

Last edited: