GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SABO's MK7

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
31. Low Profile Euro Rear Headrests

Mod: Wanted our Euro friends rear headrests to allow for more visibility out the hatch window. Also, just a better look.

Where: e-acca.com. Great site and great prices, took about 3 weeks, but once shipped arrived in 4 days via fedex.

Part #: 5G0885901AFCMR (Black leather Golf R)

Cost: $163 each delivered. I plan to sell the US original headrests which will bring this down to maybe < $100 each.

Pics: Notice US vs Euro comparison of the rear visibility.
Great looking car, nice mods too.

I used the e-acca website to buy the engine cover you got from ECS. It ended up being close to what you paid with the coupon.

Those rear headrests look great. Stitching matches and everything.

I couldn't find any with red for the GTi so had to resort to ebay.
ebay buy.jpg

Keep up the good work! :cool:

sabo

Ready to race!
32. Front Cubby Light Up

32. Front Cubby Light Up

Mod:
If you've viewed my under hatch cover trunk light mod, then you know I like adding some LEDs. Below my latest lighting improvement. Probably not that useful, but that front cubby is hard to get your hand in and mighty dark. Why not add an LED light.

Cost: ~$10 for led light and wiring

DIY: I will post a full DIY when I complete this mod (not yet hardwired). See the current pics for the concept. The light placement is in the upper back corner and is not directly visible while sitting driver

Wiring Decisions:

1. Simple hardwire to the 12V led ring to come on only when lights are on and stay on all the time
  2. Wire to the upper button (adding a push on/off switch) on the right side of shifter
  3. Wire to 12V led ring, but attach a switch to trigger when the cubby is open
Which one would you chose?

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 2,366
  • IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 2,383
  • IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 2,377
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 2,327
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 2,330
  • IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 2,433
Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Would be awesome if you could have it lit when open and off when shut. Something that is switched by the door could be cool. Great work as always!

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Sabo,

1st off I love your mods. So clean and practical.

I am considering rigging up the garage switch similar to how you did. Just had one question when going through your Dropbox DIY (which is excellent btw, thanks for taking the time to make that). Why do you need two switch units, and then to pull the board out of one, flip it 180 degrees and put it in the opposite switch unit? That was the only part that didn't make sense to me. If my car as no park assist options (all buttons on right side of shifter are blanks), can't I just order the 1-button switch and wire it up? Or do I really need two and to swap the circuit boards around? Thanks!

sabo

Ready to race!
Sabo,

1st off I love your mods. So clean and practical.

I am considering rigging up the garage switch similar to how you did. Just had one question when going through your Dropbox DIY (which is excellent btw, thanks for taking the time to make that). Why do you need two switch units, and then to pull the board out of one, flip it 180 degrees and put it in the opposite switch unit? That was the only part that didn't make sense to me. If my car as no park assist options (all buttons on right side of shifter are blanks), can't I just order the 1-button switch and wire it up? Or do I really need two and to swap the circuit boards around? Thanks!

I followed this link on electrical discussion and that the 'Tire-set', harness slots 9&10, were the only "floating' switch ends on the board....which didn't require the garage remote to be grounded.

I guess it can be done the other way or simply use the tire set button up top without flipping the board around. I tried using the Park button without flipping, but in my test setups I couldn't figure it out (but maybe its easier than I made it). The only extra effort with the flip is the dremmeling the opening.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/for...-remote-garage-door-opener-closer-110972.html

If you figure it, let me know...

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
22. DieselGeek Sigma 6 Short Shifter

Growing tired :p of the cosmetic mods, I wanted to challenge myself for some mechanical/performance mods. Weather is starting to warm. So let's get this R prepared for Spring :D

Mod: Installing a highly recommended DieselGeek short shifter. While the OEM shifter is smooth, I wanted a more engaging shift. Plus I am struggling with gears 1-2 and the timing of the shifts. Could be the driver, but let's try and fix it...

great thread - I like some of your details!

When you mentioned having trouble with the 1-2 gears and timing of your shifts, have you considered it may in part be due to the clutch delay valve? I scanned your thread but did not see if you had deleted this unnecessary piece of plastic or not yet?

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I followed this link on electrical discussion and that the 'Tire-set', harness slots 9&10, were the only "floating' switch ends on the board....which didn't require the garage remote to be grounded.

I guess it can be done the other way or simply use the tire set button up top without flipping the board around. I tried using the Park button without flipping, but in my test setups I couldn't figure it out (but maybe its easier than I made it). The only extra effort with the flip is the dremmeling the opening.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/for...-remote-garage-door-opener-closer-110972.html

If you figure it, let me know...

Thanks for the response and link! Makes sense after looking at the diagram. Two more questions for you if you don't mind. I assume that if I don't have the Park Assist feature already, and my right bank of switches are all blanks, that there is no wire loom in place already for that side? And I will have to draw power from 12v somewhere for the LED button light? And lastly, are the circuit boards different in each switch module? By that I mean does the switch that only comes with 1 button (Park Assist) not have the circuitry or LEDs in place for the other two spaces? I'm trying to determine if I can just buy the 1-button switch and flip the board around, or if I need to get that plus the 3-button switch to use as a donor circuit board from like you did. Sorry for all the questions it's just a bit confusing without having the parts in front of me and I don't want to buy stuff I don't need.

Thanks!

sabo

Ready to race!
I assume that if I don't have the Park Assist feature already, and my right bank of switches are all blanks, that there is no wire loom in place already for that side? And I will have to draw power from 12v somewhere for the LED button light?

Yes, mine was blank and there is nothing there. The blank switch is merely a dummy and the buttons are just "one" cap. So you can't even use the housing blanks (that was my original intention). LED, yes, I went crazy and removed the entire console (for other mods mind you), but tapped the led lighted ring around 12V socket. Any source that comes on with lights would work.

And lastly, are the circuit boards different in each switch module? By that I mean does the switch that only comes with 1 button (Park Assist) not have the circuitry or LEDs in place for the other two spaces? I'm trying to determine if I can just buy the 1-button switch and flip the board around, or if I need to get that plus the 3-button switch to use as a donor circuit board from like you did.
Thanks!

Yes, the boards are different and "filled" with leds,resistors etc as required by the part #. Seems silly to me, but that's how it is. Pic below. One on top is lower Park, other all 3. You may I ask why I have these. These were extras I got because my order got screwed up and they told me to keep them. I burned up the 3-button switch board in testing setup :D...

You can't buy just the 1-button switch and flip because the board isn't finish in the other spots.

So you could just buy the 3-button and flip (or don't flip) and live with the other two buttons images being there...but i didn't want that look.

That said, I do have an extra housing (last pic) of the Park Assist only button and you could simply buy the 3-button. I'll ship it to you for nothing. PM your address.

Just in case you didn't know, if you don't want to go to all this trouble....Double Apex sells a kit for $200...http://www.doubleapex.co/products/mk7-garage-control?variant=26367482311

I didn't want to spend this much. I spent about $75.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,341
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 2,360
Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Link to that led you are using in the cubby?

sabo

Ready to race!
great thread - I like some of your details!

When you mentioned having trouble with the 1-2 gears and timing of your shifts, have you considered it may in part be due to the clutch delay valve? I scanned your thread but did not see if you had deleted this unnecessary piece of plastic or not yet?

thanks. i enjoy your family feel to your thread. love the generations...

yes, this mod is on my list. i have sorted thru the 1-2 gearing but occasionally now will fumble it....maybe it is the damn yellow bung and not me.

sabo

Ready to race!
33. USB Reroute

33. USB Reroute

Mod:
Continuing my front cubby modifications with a rerouting of the USB connection. I currently have a retractable USB that I use to connect my phone. I typically lay my phone in the cup holder or on the passenger seat, however this take up space for drinks or space for someone's arse. Also to get your hand in that front cubby to remove the USB is well, difficult.

Why: I want to get the phone out of those spaces and mount someone permanently on the dash somewhere. I don't like phone mounts and wires running in plain view. Clean, must be clean.

Cable Route: I plan to route the cable up through the middle vents and have a mount over the airbag warning light.

Cost: Cable + grommet + Magnetic Mount ~$30.

Part Links:
Cable - https://www.amazon.com/CableCreatio...ie=UTF8&qid=1481501852&sr=1-1&keywords=cc0189

Magnetic Mount - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019PIIRCU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DIY Guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/209ei5rzbczj2wc/USB Reroute & Magnetic Phone Mount - Golf MK7 R.pdf?dl=0

Few resulting pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_2577.jpg
    IMG_2577.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 4,183
  • IMG_2578.jpg
    IMG_2578.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 4,185
  • IMG_2599.jpg
    IMG_2599.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 4,067
  • IMG_2606.jpg