GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SABO's MK7

sabo

Ready to race!
19. Front & Rear Hardwired Dashcams

19. Front & Rear Hardwired Dashcams

Now with our MK7s modded, we need to make sure we are capturing our roadtrips and all that is in front of us and mostly what is behind us! My previous 12V socket harness are ready to connection some dashcams!

Choices:
Front Cam: I chose Street Guardian. Capacitor type to avoid overheating issues in hot temps with battery powered cams. Also, I like the shape, mount style and wire cover kit.

Rear Cam: I chose Mini806. I did have this one replaced as it stopped working after a couple months. The company did response well with a replacement, but jury is still out if this one will hold up. I selected based mainly on small round size. Cam quality is pretty decent.

Cam Alternates: Search the web for many discussions. One good link here.
https://dashcamtalk.com/

Advice: I really don't have any comparison on cam types or manufacturers as these are my first cams. Also, when selecting a mount location be sure to consider the micro SD card location. I mounted my front cam on the passenger side of the rearview mirror, however the SD card slot is on the left side. So now its blocked from easy removal. I have to remove the cam from the mount to remove. Oh well, I don't intend to remove the SD card that much anyway.

Cost: Front - $250, Rear - $120

DIY Installation Guide
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt3lu6gj1zof5n5/Front & Rear Hardwired Dashcams.pdf?dl=0

Attachments

• Front CAm.gif
    Front CAm.gif
    161.7 KB · Views: 4,202
  • Rear Cam.gif
    Rear Cam.gif
    143.3 KB · Views: 4,172
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
20. Accentglowled Cupholder LEDs

20. Accentglowled Cupholder LEDs

At my age, I'm not after lighting up my car like a christmas tree (no offense to the younger gens), but I was after adding some luxury-feel ambient lights to match factory white. Came across these cup holder leds and figured let's give it a shot.

Again, my previous 12V hardwire tap mod set me up to connect these to my under passenger seat quick connect harness. Recall one of the taps was the LED lighted ring around the center console 12V socket. So, this is what I tapped into, along with the ground. You could easily just run an isolation tap-a-fuse if you didn't want to tackle the hardwire tap as I did!

Advice: Since I did tap into the factory LED light source, the cup leds rings are dimmable! So keep this in mind if important to you.

Cost: ~$50

DIY Guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2q9w132zs25m2q/Cup Holder LED Ambient Lights.pdf?dl=0

Attachments

• IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 4,534
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 5,154
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
21. Custom Garage Opener w/ OEM Switch

21. Custom Garage Opener w/ OEM Switch

So, I took inspiration from some forum members on this one. There were some making custom engraved buttons, some just wiring their remote button to a custom button, but as you guys can tell now, I gotta be as close to factory as possible (I know...annoying at this point).

There is a company Double Apex, who specializes in VW garage buttons, but at time of this mod this past January, they hadn't released one for the MK7. I know they are close as I had emailed them inquiring and they put me on a pre-order list. It hasn't hit the site yet, but I know they are about to release (http://www.doubleapex.co/pages/vw-models). So, if you are impatient like me, continue reading about my mod.

Mod: Goal was to implement an OEM switch for the garage remote button. I decided on my R to use the blank button spaces on the right side of my shifter. My car did not have the park assist buttons. That said, I opted to use the Park assist button as my 'garage' button. The "P" wifi-ish symbol closely resembled, for me, a garage signal. Also, I wanted to make sure the switch was lighted and dimmable like the other factory buttons.

For yet another mod, I took advantage of my previous 12V hardwire tap. Similar to the cup holder LEDs, I tapped the 12V socket led ring lead off my under passenger seat harness. The DIY guide explains the rest. I also created a custom garage box to house the remote, transformer. I made it able to be disconnected if I happen to change garage doors, etc. It installed under the passenger seat, out of view.

You can simplify this or take it to the extreme as I did. (Or wait for Double Apex release).

Cost: About $70

DIY Guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dbh0vi36uxtwib/Garage Button with OEM Switch.pdf?dl=0

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 4,273
  • IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 4,320
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 4,246
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 4,280
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
Winter Won't End

Winter Won't End

While I'm having a blast modding the car, I really want to get back to driving and testing the limits of the car. It will be a long dig out and melt period before that will happen!

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 4,272
  • IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 4,336
  • IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 4,309
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 4,217

sabo

Ready to race!
22. DieselGeek Sigma 6 Short Shifter

22. DieselGeek Sigma 6 Short Shifter

Growing tired :p of the cosmetic mods, I wanted to challenge myself for some mechanical/performance mods. Weather is starting to warm. So let's get this R prepared for Spring :D

Mod: Installing a highly recommended DieselGeek short shifter. While the OEM shifter is smooth, I wanted a more engaging shift. Plus I am struggling with gears 1-2 and the timing of the shifts. Could be the driver, but let's try and fix it.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_and_Audi_Short_Shifters_s/1830.htm

Advice: You can probably install by just removing the intake, however I removed the battery and battery tray to save my knuckles. It was much easier to adjust the cable ends this way.

Cost:
$190

Gear Test Vid:
https://youtu.be/l9NNHx9je0U

The notchy result may turn off some, but this shifter is awesome. I think the feel is so much better and probably reduces throws by 40-50%

Attachments

• IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 3,506
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
23. DAP Shifter Bracket w/ TorqueSolutions Bushings

23. DAP Shifter Bracket w/ TorqueSolutions Bushings

While I was installing the Sigma 6, I decided why not change out the factory plastic cable bracket and the rubber bushings. Seemed like a no brainer. Take out all shifting slop.

Bracket: DAP sells an VW OEM metal bracket. Much cheaper than some others on the market. https://deutscheautoparts.com/1j0-711-781-d.html

Bushings: Many options here. Went with Torque Solution at http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-vw-106.htm

Cost: $55 bracket, Bushings - $35

Advice: Remove the intake along with the battery and battery tray to allow easier install. Trust me.

Install Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkmOJooprs

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,422
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
24. BFI Black Alcantara Shift Knob

24. BFI Black Alcantara Shift Knob

Ok, so might as well finish off the shifter overhaul with a nicely weighted aftermarket shift knob. Did a ton a research for these and landed on the BFI Alcantara. Wanted one that sat a couple inches lower than stock shifter.

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfiheweshknb3.html

Advice: Think carefully about the knob wrap seam position. Most go center front or back, but I chose about 10 o'clock position. This is the point where the thumb and index finger meet and I don't have to touch/feel the seam and it keeps it from view from the passenger and rear seats. My take anyway.

Options: Many color options, many different weights, many shift knob material options, knob coin options. Whatever gets you going.

Cost: $160

Love it! Shifting now complete. Ready to run.

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 3,515
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 3,395
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
25. F1 Llumar Pinnacle 35 Tint (Professionally done)

25. F1 Llumar Pinnacle 35 Tint (Professionally done)

For those around VA, know it gets crazy muggy, crazy hot in summer. Perfect time to get my Deep Black Pearl cooled down. Asked around the forum, as I never had tints on previous cars. Opted for a ceramic tint. Wanted a consistent % around, so went with 35. Not too dark, not too light, just right.

Yield is about 68% heat and 99% UV.

Went with a recommended local shop that carried Llumar products.

Very pleased.

I may get a 'clear' tint on front (Air80 product) that will heat reject ~40% and block UV, but will need to remove front cam mount and inspection sticker before I go for it.

Cost: $300

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 3,359
  • IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 3,382
  • IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 3,569
Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Five star rating!

Great work on car and posting.
Gave you the 5 star rating. :cool:
Good details on the 10:00 spotting of the BFI shift knob.
I have 70% Carbon tint on windshield. I highly recommend it to protect interior and keep it cool. The windshield on the MK7 is big.
I know you are regulated more than my state so that is something to think about. I also added 70% to the sunroof to reduce heat.

sabo

Ready to race!
What's it Worth?

What's it Worth?

So 25 mods, over about 8 months......

Considering the sale of stock tail sets, mirror caps, mirror assemblies and two of these mods as gifts it all totals out-of-pocket of about $2,150.

Sounds like a lot, but then again, if I paid for someone to do these, it would probably be close to double this. And if I chose not to do them, then I shouldn't have purchased an MK7 Golf R. ;)

Small price for making the car uniquely yours. :cool:

Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
Great work on car and posting.
Gave you the 5 star rating. :cool:
Good details on the 10:00 spotting of the BFI shift knob.
I have 70% Carbon tint on windshield. I highly recommend it to protect interior and keep it cool. The windshield on the MK7 is big.
I know you are regulated more than my state so that is something to think about. I also added 70% to the sunroof to reduce heat.

Thanks I learned from the best! Now I'm caught up, so I can ease off the posts (for now anyway)

Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 3,457
  • IMG_2003.jpg
    IMG_2003.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 3,545
  • IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 3,433
  • IMG_2005.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 3,470
  • IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 3,360
  • IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 3,517
Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Minions

For your kids.:D
A few years ago my plant had a booth at our local Fall Festival.
We had a tire recycling theme, so I made a few items.
These two guys are from used riding lawn mower tires.
The tool belts are from Walmart.

One of my co-workers took them home as his son loves to play with them. He is 2 years old.

IMG_0367 - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
For your kids.:D
A few years ago my plant had a booth at our local Fall Festival.
So we had a tire recycling theme, so I made a few items.
These two guys are from used riding lawn mower tires.
The tool belts are from Walmart.

One of my co-workers took them home as his son loves to play with them. He is 2 years old.

View attachment 9831

View attachment 9832

ha, they will love this.

Last edited: