GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 05-30-2016, 12:16 AM   #18
sabo

Drives: 2016 Golf R
11. DeAutoKey Reverse LEDs

11. DeAutoKey Reverse LEDs

Now with my brand new Euro LED tails....there are actually non-LEDs in the housing?? Say what? Yes, the reverse bulb a traditional halogen. So its back to Deautoled.com for a bright, white, crisp reverse LED. The pics are washed out, but they are damn bright.

Cost: $50

http://deautokey.com/product/reverse...led-taillights

The reverse lights I ordered, actually didn't fit the opening by a couple millimeters so I contacted Deautoled. They walked me through and offered a replacement, but I opted just to dremel the opening a smidge, carefully to not cut the locking tab. Deautoled has since updated/revised the offering to be compatible.

Still dead of winter in VA, so at this point not a ton of practicing with the R. A few more months of costly mods, but no fun with driving

After conquering the euro tail mod and my first go at coding, yikes, I called in a friend to brew his world famous Apple Pie Moonshine. He makes me a batch for the winter and its so damn good....on the rocks, let it melt down a touch and enjoy.
Attached Images

Last edited by sabo; 12-30-2016 at 01:51 AM.
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #19
sabo

12. Center Armrest Felt-Lined Organizer

12. Center Armrest Felt-Lined Organizer

Well a month back I unlocked the center armrest, so naturally it now must be made a bit more useful. So if only there was an insert to tier the cubby?? A quick ebay, amazon, aliexpress search and magic!....there is one. It looked a little suspect on quality, but I decided to risk it. Ordered from china on aliexpress and it arrived about 2 weeks later, as advertised. It was listed for MY 13-14, but it fits my R (a little snug, but it fits).

Cost: Wide range depending on source, but $15-20.

Link:
Storage - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...sPageName=GSTL
Felt - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advice: It comes with rubber pads, but I opted to felt-line the tray instead. I had left over felt paper from my driver's box mod. To felt the tray was a pain, but now no rattles from coins, keys or whatever else that could role around.

Overall I'm pleased. I may actually drill a hole in a corner somewhere big enough for my finger as its not really easy to remove if you want to get underneath.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #20
sabo

13. RGM Door Sillguards

13. RGM Door Sillguards

If you hate paint scuffs, why not protect and dress up the door sills?

These sill guards are molded to perfection! There are many manufacturers of sill guards and protector strips, but most don't get great ratings. RGM makes a great product. They are sold through ngpracing here in the States.

Advice: Take your time on the install, because once they are on, they are on. Make sure the top deck is sitting flush before you push on the bottom deck and the vertical section.

Cost: ~$92 shipped

http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/si...ti-5-door.html
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 01:20 AM   #21
sabo

14. VW Cargo Liner

14. VW Cargo Liner

Just heading into winter and Christmas is fast approaching. Naturally the gift idea requests start coming from family members. Hmmm.......what ever shall I ask for? How about some winter snow, ice, sand, gravel protection. Let's start with the cargo area.

Now us R owners had been requesting WeatherTech to make a cargo liner compatible for our model, but not as of end of '15 (ironically, they just released one!) Too late . Latest offering here - http://www.weathertech.com/volkswage...r/cargo-liner/

So the first christmas gift idea I spread through the family was for the VW version of the liner. Not really my preferred, but any protection is better than none. This one came with the Car-go blocks, which are a good idea, but kind of a pain to move around with the velcro, but oh well. It was a gift.

Cost: For me (free), regularly $100-120
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 AM   #22
sabo

15. WeatherTech Mats

15. WeatherTech Mats

I'm fortunate enough to have a large family, so the christmas gift exchange is plentiful....next up....more protection from WeatherTech.

With our exchange comes budget limits, I opted for the all-weather version which are nice, but I may upgrade to the full-lined version in the future. They have a nice feel and nice lip/groove to trap everything dirt, gravel, etc. Fit is perfect, accept the footrest flap. Needs something to keep it in place.

The mats received:
Cost: $60
http://www.weathertech.com/volkswage...s-all-weather/

The mats I wanted:
Cost: $170
http://www.weathertech.com/volkswage...er-digitalfit/
Attached Images

Last edited by sabo; 12-30-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:54 AM   #23
sabo

16. Front Door LED Warning Lights

16. Front Door LED Warning Lights

Up until now, I've mostly finished off cosmetic mods, outside of the Euro tail install. So, my confidence was growing. I really wanted to tackle something requiring some removal of something, something mechanical, electrical, whatever. Something with some risk. I came across member golfdave's posts on door warning lights. Now this is it! Let's do it. I completed the 2 front doors only. Rear doors a little trickier and less worthy IMO.

I have already posted my DIY around the forum. It even got picked up by Deautoled as their link for installing their led warning lights. AWESOME!

Cost: $40-60 depending on light type selection

Advice: Consider doing the power folding mirror mod at the same time as you need to remove door panels and probably best to do this only once. Also, my model and year had the ambient lighting already in the door (no coding required), however if your make is without ambient lighting, then coding is required to work (I'm searching for a thread and will post)

Options: LED color options are available for Red/White (mine), White/White, Red/Red

DIY Guide DropBox Link (you don't need an account, just skip to view or direct download on mobile device):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5g03l496w...20MK7.pdf?dl=0

Deautoled.com link
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=11

Definitely my most challenging and rewarding mod to date!

Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 03:35 AM   #24
Bäsemödel

Drives: 15 Golf TSi
Great thread man!! Love the format! Did you do front and rear door warning lights?
Helix UUs//deAuto LEDs//Blacked Roof//Maxton Lip//GTI Skirts//Center Exit Exhaust//RS7 Plugs//IS20//aFe Dry Filter//JB4//OEM Hatch Spoiler//18” Peelers//Magnaflow Catback//CTS Dogbone//GTI PP RSB//Firehawk Indy 500s//Koni Special Active Shocks//VWR Springs//HELIX Sub//OBD11//OEM Add Ons - adding fogs/footwells is possible!
Bäsemödel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #25
sabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bäsemödel View Post
Great thread man!! Love the format! Did you do front and rear door warning lights?
thanks man! as you can read, I'm playing catch up with the journal. all these done late last year, earlier this year..should get to current day by next weekend.

just front warning lights. the rear mod was a bit trickier and the fronts really light up the ground. felt like the rear wasn't worth it. may do it once I run out of mods
Old 05-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #26
Thewhite

Drives: 91 MK1 cabrio, 14 Mazda 3 GTi
Very nice!! Can I ask which cameras and how did you do the wiring?. That's my next mod along with the install of the Alpine x901

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #27
sabo

17. Power Folding Mirrors

17. Power Folding Mirrors

I had planned the LED door warning lights with this next mod. Since I had to remove the door panels, I really only wanted to do this one time. So, after installing the lights, I moved to the power folding mirrors. Earlier in my journal you may have noticed my narrow garage, well these come in handy. With a few of these ROW mods now, this car is more closely resembling our ROW friends!

Advice: Consider completing this mod along side of the LED door warning lights. Also, don't expect much from the puddle lights, they are pretty weak.

Options: The mirrors come with the manual control switch, but you may also code to work with the key fob (lock/unlock). I kept manual because I didn't want them opening on fob because I used it daily for before pulling into my garage.

Cost: $250-$375. Depends on source, OEM or aftermarket. I purchased mine through Ed at BECautoparts.com. I bought a package deal for Euro LED tails and power mirrors, so I got a great deal.
Also, if you purchase mirrors with a different color than your car, sell the caps separately for some decent return. When I purchased mine, they only came with white caps. So, I swapped my black ones off my car and sold the caps separately. I ended up selling the caps as a set for $110 and each mirror assembly separately for $120 each, so I ended up paying for the entire set of power mirrors. This mod was free! It took me about 2 months to sell all.

DIY Install Link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtdihbuisv...20MK7.pdf?dl=0

Mirrors in Action Vid
https://youtu.be/KiHmJYD5gh0
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #28
sabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewhite View Post
Very nice!! Can I ask which cameras and how did you do the wiring?. That's my next mod along with the install of the Alpine x901

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
will be posting soon!
Old 05-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #29
sabo

New Addition

Well, figured with a new car, I needed a new companion. Welcome Maddon. 8-week old Old English Bulldog
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #30
sabo

18. Front & Trunk 12V Hardwire Tap

18. Front & Trunk 12V Hardwire Tap

I've mentioned previously that I'm a bit OCD and really want any mods to be in the shadows, factory look, no mess. This mod was to prep for future additions such as dashcams, additional interior accent leds, garage button. However, this could be used for radar detectors, whatever needs 12V.

Mod: Goal was to hardwire tap/splice both 12V sockets (front and rear) and make a wiring harness with a quick connection for hookup of variety of devices/lights. The tap in front would include the positive, ground and led power (lighted socket ring) and the rear would include positive and ground. This involves removing the center console in front area as well as some trim in trunk. Tap one or tap both for your needs. I know the popular choice is to typically tap power from something more accessible (glove box light, tap-a-fuse), but I chose this way because I wanted to tap power that was supposed to be used for auxiliary devices and to keep the clean feel and look. Nothing wrong with tapping power from somewhere easier.

Advice: Chose the location of this harness tap to suit your needs. I opted for under the passenger seat in front and the cutout access opening for the taillights in the trunk. Other locations could be in glovebox or on either side of the front dash (in the side panel cubby).

DIY Install Guide
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya0k0xlixz...20Tap.pdf?dl=0
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #31
sabo

19. Front & Rear Hardwired Dashcams

19. Front & Rear Hardwired Dashcams

Now with our MK7s modded, we need to make sure we are capturing our roadtrips and all that is in front of us and mostly what is behind us! My previous 12V socket harness are ready to connection some dashcams!

Choices:
Front Cam: I chose Street Guardian. Capacitor type to avoid overheating issues in hot temps with battery powered cams. Also, I like the shape, mount style and wire cover kit.

Rear Cam: I chose Mini806. I did have this one replaced as it stopped working after a couple months. The company did response well with a replacement, but jury is still out if this one will hold up. I selected based mainly on small round size. Cam quality is pretty decent.

Cam Alternates: Search the web for many discussions. One good link here.
https://dashcamtalk.com/

Advice: I really don't have any comparison on cam types or manufacturers as these are my first cams. Also, when selecting a mount location be sure to consider the micro SD card location. I mounted my front cam on the passenger side of the rearview mirror, however the SD card slot is on the left side. So now its blocked from easy removal. I have to remove the cam from the mount to remove. Oh well, I don't intend to remove the SD card that much anyway.

Cost: Front - $250, Rear - $120

DIY Installation Guide
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt3lu6gj1z...hcams.pdf?dl=0

Attached Images

Old 05-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #32
sabo

20. Accentglowled Cupholder LEDs

20. Accentglowled Cupholder LEDs

At my age, I'm not after lighting up my car like a christmas tree (no offense to the younger gens), but I was after adding some luxury-feel ambient lights to match factory white. Came across these cup holder leds and figured let's give it a shot.

Again, my previous 12V hardwire tap mod set me up to connect these to my under passenger seat quick connect harness. Recall one of the taps was the LED lighted ring around the center console 12V socket. So, this is what I tapped into, along with the ground. You could easily just run an isolation tap-a-fuse if you didn't want to tackle the hardwire tap as I did!

Advice: Since I did tap into the factory LED light source, the cup leds rings are dimmable! So keep this in mind if important to you.

Cost: ~$50

DIY Guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2q9w132zs...ights.pdf?dl=0
Attached Images

Last edited by sabo; 12-30-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #33
sabo

21. Custom Garage Opener w/ OEM Switch

21. Custom Garage Opener w/ OEM Switch

So, I took inspiration from some forum members on this one. There were some making custom engraved buttons, some just wiring their remote button to a custom button, but as you guys can tell now, I gotta be as close to factory as possible (I know...annoying at this point).

There is a company Double Apex, who specializes in VW garage buttons, but at time of this mod this past January, they hadn't released one for the MK7. I know they are close as I had emailed them inquiring and they put me on a pre-order list. It hasn't hit the site yet, but I know they are about to release (http://www.doubleapex.co/pages/vw-models). So, if you are impatient like me, continue reading about my mod.

Mod: Goal was to implement an OEM switch for the garage remote button. I decided on my R to use the blank button spaces on the right side of my shifter. My car did not have the park assist buttons. That said, I opted to use the Park assist button as my 'garage' button. The "P" wifi-ish symbol closely resembled, for me, a garage signal. Also, I wanted to make sure the switch was lighted and dimmable like the other factory buttons.

For yet another mod, I took advantage of my previous 12V hardwire tap. Similar to the cup holder LEDs, I tapped the 12V socket led ring lead off my under passenger seat harness. The DIY guide explains the rest. I also created a custom garage box to house the remote, transformer. I made it able to be disconnected if I happen to change garage doors, etc. It installed under the passenger seat, out of view.

You can simplify this or take it to the extreme as I did. (Or wait for Double Apex release).

Cost: About $70

DIY Guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dbh0vi36u...witch.pdf?dl=0
Attached Images

Last edited by sabo; 12-30-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #34
sabo

Winter Won't End

Winter Won't End

While I'm having a blast modding the car, I really want to get back to driving and testing the limits of the car. It will be a long dig out and melt period before that will happen!
Attached Images